Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Carb'd swapping to 2012 1200 with FI...

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2024, 08:46 AM
PixelatedDisplay
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both FI and carb's have their pro's and con's...

In this situation...
FI:
everything is already setup and working good
extra 'fun' of moving the wiring harness to the old bike.
has stupid looking air cleaner on it.

Carb:
wiring is all ready to go, etc.
having to re-jet carb
couple of the bolts/screws are stripped on the carb/intake.

Old 09-14-2024, 08:47 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,259 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Curious why why no title? You are buying it from cops. Can't you apply for lost title? You know its not stolen. I would think fixing that bike up would be easier.

Thousand is a good deal. But for what 2500-3000 you could get one that is running? Granted 1000 is cheaper, if you want a project. Swapping out forks would be cheaper than engine and converting? Are the forks inter changeable? Even just buying new forks puts you ahead?

Old 09-14-2024, 08:59 AM
PixelatedDisplay
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rounders
Curious why why no title? You are buying it from cops. Can't you apply for lost title? You know its not stolen. I would think fixing that bike up would be easier.

Thousand is a good deal. But for what 2500-3000 you could get one that is running? Granted 1000 is cheaper, if you want a project. Swapping out forks would be cheaper than engine and converting? Are the forks inter changeable? Even just buying new forks puts you ahead?
Yes, it would... two front shocks and new tires, all would be good. But then tagging it would be an issue with no title.

Old 09-14-2024, 09:17 AM
OCSpringer
HDF Community Team
Received 736 Likes on 425 Posts

I think TexasScooterTrash's suggestion above would be the least painful solution and probably the route I would explore if I was in this situation.

Old 09-14-2024, 09:20 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,259 Likes on 1,790 Posts

So if you buy the bike at an auction, or a police auction, it must be sold as scrap or parts bike? The is bleeped up. You can't just get a salvage title?

Old 09-14-2024, 09:21 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,338 Posts

It says "application for authority to dispose" of the bike and it can only be transferred to a "Automotive Dismantler and Recycler or Scrap Processor." Does this mean you cannot get a "salvage title" for it and must scrap it or just sell parts? Are you a registered "Automotive Dismantler, and Recycler or Scrap Processor?" What about the serial numbers on the engine cases? Aren't they the same as the VIN on the frame?

It would be a shame to do all this work and have the bike impounded (again) for mismatched numbers somewhere down the road.

John

Last edited by John Harper; 09-14-2024 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-14-2024, 09:31 AM
hammer6315
HDF Community Team
Received 244 Likes on 186 Posts

You mentioned bent forks. Be sure the frame is not bent.

Old 09-14-2024, 09:31 AM
OCSpringer
HDF Community Team
Received 736 Likes on 425 Posts

I sold a car for scrap once in San Diego and stood there watching them load this beautiful 70's pickup hot rod into a crusher. I was dumbfounded as this truck belonged in a car show not a crusher. As I stood there, a border potrol agent walked up to me and said "That's what happens when you get caught smuggling into the US. Doesn't matter if it was a farrari, we'd crush it. It's part of the punishment". Sometimes things have to be done certain ways, even if they seem odd, due to laws and rules and what not. I watched them crush it, along with numerous other pretty nice cars. It was a wild thing to see, especially as I was a college student at the time and my truck wouldn't pass smog and couldn't be fixed, so I needed a car and they were destroying perfectly good ones right in front of me.

Last edited by OCSpringer; 09-14-2024 at 09:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
John Harper (09-14-2024)
Old 09-14-2024, 10:53 AM
PixelatedDisplay
Intermediate

Originally Posted by John Harper
It says "application for authority to dispose" of the bike and it can only be transferred to a "Automotive Dismantler and Recycler or Scrap Processor." Does this mean you cannot get a "salvage title" for it and must scrap it or just sell parts? Are you a registered "Automotive Dismantler, and Recycler or Scrap Processor?" What about the serial numbers on the engine cases? Aren't they the same as the VIN on the frame?

It would be a shame to do all this work and have the bike impounded (again) for mismatched numbers somewhere down the road.

John
Things are done a bit different out here on the east coast... engine and parts are not really checked unless there is some reason for it. My car has not had the original engine in it since 2007, and have had it registered in Delaware, then New Jersey, and now Maryland, and not once was any question about the engine VIN brought up.

Although Recycler and Scrap Processor are very specific, Automotive Dismantler is very vague, someone working in their yard is technically a dismantler.

I would not want it taken either, but this is very unlikely... I have a better chance at being nabbed for insurance fraud (not mentioning the 1200cc engine in a 883cc model), if I were to get into an accident.

The following users liked this post:
John Harper (09-14-2024)
Old 09-14-2024, 10:56 AM
PixelatedDisplay
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hammer6315
You mentioned bent forks. Be sure the frame is not bent.
They are on the donor bike, so doesnt matter if frame is bent. Not to mention, the frame was cut to make taking the engine out easier and so someone doesnt try to get a title for it as I am the last legal owner.

The only functional thing wrong with the old bike is the rod knock.

Quick Reply: 2004 Carb'd swapping to 2012 1200 with FI...