Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning up the Carburetor

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2024, 11:18 AM
Chris_G
Club Member
Received 177 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by npn
Exactly! And you can see all of reasons for my hesitation. All I can say is that you need quality gaskets and seals and be ready to discover more issues as you go.

My main reason for the whole thing was the occasional cough - once or twice per hour when cold. Cleaning up the carb led to replacing all the seals and the vacuum slide, that led to changing the intake manifold seals too, that led to replacing the manifold itself. Can I for certain say that all that will fix that minute cough?
​​​​​​
​​​
Be glad it was only a cough.
Just imagine exhaust issues and the colonoscopy.

The following users liked this post:
John Harper (08-29-2024)
Old 08-29-2024, 02:04 PM
npn
Cruiser
Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts

Put it all back together with new intake manifold and James seals... And I did take my time.

The bike definitely runs differently now. There's noticeable flat spot on 2nd and 3rd gear - basically turning the throttle doesn't do anything and then it picks up at some point. Not sure if I'm explaining it right. No coughing tho at least so far.

Here's a pice of the intake before I closed it - does the black build up in the front cylinder signify former air leak?

​​

Old 08-29-2024, 09:17 PM
npn
Cruiser

This is past cleaning up the Carburetor now...

I spoke too soon, after rebuilding the carb, and replacing the intake manifold and seals, also rejecting it to 45/170... She still coughs. Mostly when I take off on first gear. Kind of the same as before. But now, I don't think it's running smooth at low rpm.

Not convinced that the mixture and idle are properly set. Would that explain the sporadic cough at low rpm and/or not running as smooth?

Last edited by npn; 08-29-2024 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-29-2024, 09:32 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Yes. Try 2.5 turns out and idle at 1050. You're getting a strong stream from the accelerator pump nozzle?

John

Old 08-29-2024, 09:45 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Soundman5000
I have had my S&S Super E on my bike well over 26 years now and I have never done anything to the carb except a gas filter and I have only used non-ethanol gas with a dash of Marvel Mystery Oil and Sta-bil mix always in the gas but I purchased the rebuild kit recently but the idea of me taking that old carb off is like going to the dentist, I know its time but I keep asking myself can't I go one more summer?
Yes, as I age I fall more on the side of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" perspective, against the usual wishes of my OCD.

John

Old 08-29-2024, 09:50 PM
npn
Cruiser

Originally Posted by John Harper
Yes. Try 2.5 turns out and idle at 1050. You're getting a strong stream from the accelerator pump nozzle?

John
I am getting a good stream from the pump nozzle.

Mixture screw is at 2.5 turns. I don't have an rpm guage so that's another thing I don't know how to set

Old 08-30-2024, 07:08 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,971 Likes on 4,163 Posts

WOW... A shout out to those on here who make the HDFORUM the best motorcycle forum on the Internet.

John Harper (08-30-2024)
Old 08-30-2024, 09:21 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team

This has been a long post, and I forget some of what you already did. Did you replace the vacuum slide? Is that operating correctly? Is the diaphragm part fully sealed with the cap? IIRC, they are a bit tricky sometimes to get fully seated. Just a thought about your mid range issue.

John

Old 08-30-2024, 09:39 PM
npn
Cruiser

Originally Posted by John Harper
This has been a long post, and I forget some of what you already did. Did you replace the vacuum slide? Is that operating correctly? Is the diaphragm part fully sealed with the cap? IIRC, they are a bit tricky sometimes to get fully seated. Just a thought about your mid range issue.

John
Here's a summary of what I've done

2003 Sportster 883C

Cleaned the carburetor thoroughly
Replaced all the seals
Replaced the vacuum slide
Replaced jets to 45/170
Replaced manifold intake and seals
Replaced the spark plugs
Mixture screw set at 2.5 turns

The bike runs rough, especially at low rpm. It coughs. It starts and runs, no sputtering or misfiring but.. With single rider (me) it barely holds at 60mph: I have to run it a gear lower. It runs worse than what it was originally with all the oem parts after 20k miles....

Gents, I took your advice and I'm worse off. There's cost to it too. I'm lost. Any final advice would be much appreciated

Last edited by npn; 08-30-2024 at 09:40 PM.
Old 08-30-2024, 10:03 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team

All you can do is retrace the steps you've taken, and try again. It's obviously carb/intake related, there's nothing else wrong with the motor. Don't give up. I've had to pull carbs and go through them again many times working on friend's bikes. Sooner or later, you'll get it dialed in. Sounds to me like you might have a vacuum leak at the manifold. I know you hate to hear that, but... What was your procedure for installing the new seals and manifold? Dish soap? Red grease? You left it a bit loose till the carb was aligned, then gently tighten the bolts? You got the flanges correct?

There's something not right, you just need to find out what it is. I know you will. There's a reason mechanics charge $200 an hour today. Sometimes it's easy, and sometimes...

John

Last edited by John Harper; 08-30-2024 at 10:28 PM.
Jackie Paper (08-31-2024)

Quick Reply: Cleaning up the Carburetor