Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning up the Carburetor

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2024, 07:58 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,338 Posts

You should find a friend with a Dremel and just use a cutoff wheel on a regular Allen wrench.

John

Old 08-17-2024, 09:31 AM
SirHarley
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 1,022 Likes on 523 Posts
Cool

I have used short "Allen" screwdriver bits and the corresponding small "ignition wrench to back those bolts out. The cut off Allen wrench helps to loosen those bolts. Then to tighten them. Some people use hex head bolts or a mixture of the two when they install. Remember that you are creating a rubber seal between two thermal dynamic surfaces. It's okay to smear a little film of grease on the seals so they can be centered while you are "evenly" tightening them. Keep the intake manifold level as well. Tighten them up too much and they will leak... I always use new bolts. If you are going to re-use your intake flanges, lay them on a smooth level surface. If they are not completely flat, get new ones, as they have been over tightened. The front one is marked "F" They should not "rock" when you lay them flat. I think the service manual says to replace them...once you have done it correctly, you will understand a great deal more.

Welcome to the world of "Old Motorcycles"...

Last edited by SirHarley; 08-17-2024 at 10:34 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SirHarley:
hammer6315 (08-18-2024), John Harper (08-17-2024)
Old 08-17-2024, 10:26 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team

Yes, I used some red grease on both seals, although the FSM says dish soap. The two head seals allow the cylinders to expand when hot. Take a peek from the backside at the manifold when it's cold and hot, you can see the expansion at the flanges.

John

Old 08-17-2024, 12:07 PM
npn
Cruiser
Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts

Took the carb off again - there's no crack in the accelerator pump. But the little diaphragm inside looked weird, like the angle was the wrong way, so I replaced it. I used the original black boot (on the pic you see the new one) and no leaks now.

You're not going to like this - not only I didn't replace the intake seals, I put the original back on. Started the bike, immediately noticed rpm was way too high, left the mixture screw at 2.5 turns, and she runs like a champ! Took her for a 5-10 ride around the block and she's happy. Unfortunately it started raining here in Chicago...

So I won't name names (as in which brand/site) but the carb kit I got didn't work well for me. The intake seal was slightly larger or something to create the air leak. The same with the rubber boot for the accelerator pump. There was no proper replacement oring for the one inside it....

But overall, I'm happy. If anything, she might be running rich as I definitely smell like smoke more than the usual

Last edited by npn; 08-17-2024 at 12:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
John Harper (08-17-2024)
Old 08-17-2024, 05:20 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team

If you're happy, that's what counts. Congratulations.

John

Jackie Paper (08-30-2024)
Old 08-18-2024, 07:38 PM
npn
Cruiser

Originally Posted by John Harper
If you're happy, that's what counts. Congratulations.

John
Well, I'm one picky sob and very hard to make happy - I believe in perfection.

She still coughs - went for a ride, about 30 minutes into it, pow, on first gear, low rpm. Took a cigar break, an hour later, 10 minutes into the ride, 2nd gear, pow! It's more annoying than anything.

Two questions -

From the pic above, do you think these are the very original HD spark plugs? About 22k miles/21yo plugs.

Secondly, what is a good brand for intake manifold seals? The set I got earlier wasn't promising. It's been brought up here that "James gaskets" are a good choice.

Other than the occasional cough, I'm happy after I rebuilt the carb - the new jets setup is noticeable - seemingly there's more raw power, and quicker throttle response. Even a miniscule 5-10% but I can tell the difference

Ps/edit: I believe certain people (John) are like me, we just don't buy into this new age stuff HD is producing these days - "modern" bikes with harley-davidson badge and prefer to stick with old school, time tested technology that truly represents what motorcycles are - to me personally, your bike, set up, customization, knowing what it is and what it does is a representation what and who you are - one with your ride. None of this copt/paste all plug and play "stuff"

Last edited by npn; 08-18-2024 at 08:00 PM.
Old 08-19-2024, 05:05 AM
eighteight
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,988 Likes on 2,862 Posts

[DELETED

Old 08-19-2024, 08:19 AM
SirHarley
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 1,022 Likes on 523 Posts
Cool

Putting used intake seals, and O-rings back in was a terrible idea. They may work for a day, a month, or even 6 months, or a year. There is lots of good advice in this thread. I don't recall seeing that recommended. Now you are back to second guessing what you have already worked on. My advice to you, is that when you reach out and ask for advice, take the advice... Good luck...

Last edited by SirHarley; 08-19-2024 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-19-2024, 03:53 PM
npn
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SirHarley
Putting used intake seals, and O-rings back in was a terrible idea. They may work for a day, a month, or even 6 months, or a year. There is lots of good advice in this thread. I don't recall seeing that recommended. Now you are back to second guessing what you have already worked on. My advice to you, is that when you reach out and ask for advice, take the advice... Good luck...
One seal really, the other 2 weren't touched.
And don't get me wrong - I've learned a lot from members here and saved $100s. And I'm grateful! Just didn't want to have downtime this past weekend (kind of did because of the rain on Saturday anyway) so I put it back together quickly. Meanwhile, I have ordered the 3 (James) seals and the allen key needed for the job. Probably at the end of the season you'll see me posing again here

John Harper (08-19-2024)
Old 08-26-2024, 07:16 PM
npn
Cruiser
Default Cracked Intake Manifold

Not ashamed to admit that I cracked the intake manifold while trying to take it off. Used 2/3 long quarter inch allen key and it pushed against the manifold just enough to chip a piece of the lip where the carb goes. I'm surprised it was so fragile, but maybe it's just metal fatigue.

/you see why I was against messing with it and against the advice of many? The more you mess with sht the more it stinks... /

Anyway, I haven't been able to find an exact replacement - the closest one I found has this "thing" (in the pic below) for sensor or something. So the question is - would it fit my 2003 Sportster 883C?

Quick Reply: Cleaning up the Carburetor