Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary Oil Milkshake, How Bad Is It?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2024, 07:25 PM
WolvenScout
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CoolBreeze3646
So for all you know the primary oil was not changed since 2015 if the previous owner did not follow maintenance. Did you change all the fluids when you purchased it?

1. Not only is it your primary oil, it is also your transmission oil.
2. Read your owner's manual and use the proper fluid recommended.
3. As above, make sure you get the bike up to operating temperature for at least 30 minutes to burn off any moisture.
4. What does your engine oil look like?
5. Probably time to do a brake fluid flush also.
I did not change the primary oil when I purchased the bike, as it's my first bike, and I didn't know enough. Motor oil looks fine, and has been changed a few times. I'm aware that the primary and transmission share that fluid. On the HD online store, when looking at oil change kits specific to the sportster, regular 20W-50, SYN3 20W-50, Formula+, and 80W-140 gear oil are all options. I picked up the Royal Purple gear oil locally, as I like the brand. I didn't realize the gear oil didn't reach the MA2 rating required for wet clutches. I'll switch to Royal Purple Max Cycle 20W-50 which does meet MA2.

Originally Posted by im
How is your bike stored? Outside has a greater chance of condensation.
How often and how long are your rides? Short rides will not burn-off condensation.
Are you someone that likes to turn the bike on just to hear the motor but does not ride it.....That will not allow bike to heat-up and burn-off the condensation.
Did you check any fluids at purchase or any time during ownership? Perhaps it already had condensation.
Did the gaskets look good? Perhaps there was water getting in.

From a distance it reads like bike:
Maintenance was not being monitored.
Needs to go for a few long rides (100 mile) and then fluids/filters changed.
Do not go by mileage in your case since manual will suggest yearly change for low mileage bikes.
I would review air filter and spark plugs too.

Regarding fluid selection...that is a whole other topic.
I don't ever just idle the bike and not ride it. I let it idle for a couple minutes to warm up before a ride while I put on my gear. My rides are usually 20-30 minutes, and the last couple rides the head temp got up to 350-360. Usually I see 320-340. I'm a semi truck driver, so the bike sits for 3-4 weeks outside, under a cover. I did not check the primary fluid until now. Both cover gaskets looked fine. The drain plug o-ring needed replaced, but wasn't leaking. I've got a different air cleaner on the bike with a K&N E-3120 filter which I just cleaned and re-oiled, and spark plugs are fairly fresh as well.

Originally Posted by Bubba Zanetti
Do you take a lot of short rides or start the bike and let it idle to charge the battery?
Doing either of those will cause condensation inside the motor.
Ride the bike for a while. Run it at least 20-30 miles to get the motor up to operating temp so you basically boil the condensate out of the oil.
I've never had condensation in the motor oil, which I've changed a few times.

Old 07-06-2024, 06:29 AM
crb2855
Cruiser
Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts

Ride the bike and circulate the new oil then change it again to rinse out all the old oil and coat the internals with the fresh oil

Old 07-06-2024, 07:19 AM
touchdown
Supporter
Veteran: Army
Received 1,795 Likes on 1,022 Posts

If I were to buy a used bike unless it had detailed service records, I would change all 3 holes the first week. But thats just me.

Old 07-06-2024, 08:02 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,343 Likes on 1,854 Posts

Originally Posted by John Harper
You don't ride your bike long enough to heat up the oil to expel moisture. Always ride at least 30 minutes when you ride. Don't fire up your bike for a minute or two over the winter, you just make things worse. Always get your engine up to full temperature whenever you start it. Your engine oil could look the same for the same reasons.

John
While I agree on theory, saying never ride your bike unless going to be 30 minutes is extreme and for people who do not ride much.

I like to ride my bike so it gets plenty of short trips, I prefer to use it instead of auto.

Fall I do try to make sure longer rides because sitting more.

In this guy's case,just change the oil, and world will be fine I suspect. Change it more often if not getting a lot of miles.

If sitting for weeks because of work,it probably wouldn't hurt for the last ride to be long enough to cook moisture out before parked

Being parked outside maybe he is getting more condensation. And then he doesn't ride because of work. So maybe changing yearly would be good. Run dino oil since changing often

The following users liked this post:
John Harper (07-07-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 11:14 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,450 Likes on 2,040 Posts

Originally Posted by touchdown
If I were to buy a used bike unless it had detailed service records, I would change all 3 holes the first week. But thats just me.
You got me lost, where's that 3rd hole on a Sportster?

Old 07-07-2024, 03:07 PM
WolvenScout
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by John Harper
Always get your engine up to full temperature whenever you start it. Your engine oil could look the same for the same reasons.

John
That's the thing, I've changed the engine oil a few times already, and there's no moisture there.
I did change most of the easy consumable items on the bike when I got it. Engine oil and filter, spark plugs, new air cleaner. Same with my 2000 Monte Carlo I bought used. Had to flush that things radiator quite a few times. I guess the primary just slipped my mind, or I fell victim to the modern idea you don't need to mess with the transmission.

Old 07-07-2024, 04:16 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,987 Likes on 1,353 Posts

Well, you have to assume the previous owner never changed the primary oil, and it's just accumulated moisture, not caused by your riding habits. I would take it for a long hot ride to make sure it's all warm, drain it out, and put in fresh oil. Then take a look at it in 500 miles. It only takes one quart of oil, so it's not much to replace.

Your engine oil is going to always run hotter than your primary oil for sure, so it's not hard to see how the primary oil needs more time to fully expel moisture. I can't recall anyone ever posting their normal transmission oil temperatures, but I would not be surprised if it were at least 30 degrees lower than the engine oil.

John

Last edited by John Harper; 07-07-2024 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-07-2024, 04:26 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,987 Likes on 1,353 Posts

Originally Posted by perki48
You got me lost, where's that 3rd hole on a Sportster?
Just over the creek from the 2nd green. A short, dog leg left, along the old highway. Par 4, 380 yards.

John

The following 2 users liked this post by John Harper:
Ghetto blaster (07-07-2024), perki48 (07-07-2024)
Old 07-07-2024, 04:51 PM
Rob Roy's Revenge
Road Warrior
Received 1,089 Likes on 622 Posts

Good joke there Jim, here's only two filler holes on a Sportster, there's three on a big twin, of couse you knew that, didn't you?

Old 07-07-2024, 05:22 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,343 Likes on 1,854 Posts

Don't turn on each other. You knew what he meant.

Quick Reply: Primary Oil Milkshake, How Bad Is It?