Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Derby Cover installation. HELP????

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 08:40 AM
Garbock
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Derby Cover installation. HELP????

I just bought the skull derby cover for my 08 nightster. I will install this weekend and know I should keep the bike upright during installation. My question is I have mid controls and will need to remove the left foot peg. It gives the proper torque levels for tightning the screws. What tool do I need so I can set the screws to the proper torque level? Sorry not a gear head and don't know much about tools. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:43 AM
Hidalgo
Tourer
Default RE: Derby Cover installation. HELP????

You need a "torque wrench", which is easily purchased at any automotive supply or places like Sears, etc. that carry tools. I'm not sure about H-D specs and have not wrenched one yet, but you need to decide whether you need a wrench that measures FOOT-pounds, or INCH-pounds. Check your torque specs and purchase the appropriate wrench.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:45 AM
MisterB
Cruiser

It doesn't have to be upright. Drain the fluid first thing. Then, install the new derby cover. Then, fill the fluid through the inspection cover. I think it takes 1 quart (double check in your manual).

Old 08-31-2007, 08:49 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

With mid mounted pegs, yes you will hafta remove the left foot peg. It's pretty easy, just 2 bolts hold on the bracket. You could drain the tranny first, but it will be a lot easier to just keep the bike upright.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:52 AM
Critter174
Road Captain

the one i put on had yellow loctite around the threads so i just hand tightened them down good and snug
haven't had no problems.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:24 AM
niterhyder
6th Gear

I was able to get my derby cover off without taking off the left mid control. Its just kinda a tight fit to get the torx wrench to fit, but it can be done.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:10 AM
PatrickEconomos
Cruiser

I installed that same derby cover 2 weeks ago. I kept the bike almost upright with some old tiles under the jiffy stand and not a single drop of fluid came out.
And yes, you have to remove the foot peg support if you have mid-mount controls... The new derby cover screws already have loctite on them but the torque wrench is important...
Best Regards,
Patrick

Old 08-31-2007, 06:19 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

I found a 2X4 the perfect height so there was no need to drain the fluid, and yes it can be done without removing the mid mount foot peg support, it's a bit tight on one of the bolts but it can easily be done.

Old 08-31-2007, 06:55 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

But why would you want to try to remove the derby cover with the peg on there?? That's gotta be a lot more of a PITA factor that just taking the left foot peg off....????

Kinda like trying to have sex with a women in her jeans. Yeah, you can do it, but it would be easier if you remove the jeans.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:03 PM
twisty571
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: SportyPig

But why would you want to try to remove the derby cover with the peg on there?? That's gotta be a lot more of a PITA factor that just taking the left foot peg off....????

Kinda like trying to have sex with a women in her jeans. Yeah, you can do it, but it would be easier if you remove the jeans.
[sm=signs007.gif]

Quick Reply: Derby Cover installation. HELP????