Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF!! Harley is taking my Bike (update #2)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 09:57 PM
hawaiibound
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WTF!! Harley is taking my Bike

Road Head,
Man.. the whole situation sucks. I'm glad Progressive at least called to apologize, not that it makes up for all the stress you've gone through. Next time my policy is up, I'm going to do a little more "shopping around." I'm a member of USAA, unfortunately they don't insure bikes anymore. Since they recommended Progressive I assumed they would have the same level of customer service and have their “chit” together. You would think that "how to deal with a totaled" bike would be part of "Insurance Provider 101". It’s not like you’re the first person to total their ride… makes Progressive seem pretty amateur.
Thank goodness you didn’t have any serious medical claims the hospital would probably be in the process of reprocessing your internal organs.
I hope you’re out ENJOYING the road soon!

Old 08-30-2007, 10:30 PM
jeramy
Banned

ORIGINAL: hawaiibound

Road Head,
Man.. the whole situation sucks. I'm glad Progressive at least called to apologize, not that it makes up for all the stress you've gone through. Next time my policy is up, I'm going to do a little more "shopping around." I'm a member of USAA, unfortunately they don't insure bikes anymore. Since they recommended Progressive I assumed they would have the same level of customer service and have their “chit” together. You would think that "how to deal with a totaled" bike would be part of "Insurance Provider 101". It’s not like you’re the first person to total their ride… makes Progressive seem pretty amateur.
Thank goodness you didn’t have any serious medical claims the hospital would probably be in the process of reprocessing your internal organs.
I hope you’re out ENJOYING the road soon!
it's not so much the company it's self you have to worry about as it is the claims adjusters. i got lucky and got one of the good and quick ones.Roadhead, sorry to hear about the mix up and hope they have it sorted out quick.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:32 PM
twisty571
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

but I still don't get what happen? Did the insurance company pay the bike off? Then did you buy it back cash? I don't understand the whole mess I guess....why would you need to finance the bike if the insurance company should have paid the bike off before they sold it to you for salvage?Then in terms what HD did was take a bike that doesn't belong to them? Or did you get the check and buy the bike back and used the extra loot to fix it without telling HD?

Old 08-30-2007, 10:41 PM
HeatherC
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I too am confused...and I'm in insurance. So Progressive totalled your bike. Did they cut you a check instead of Harley? They should have paid Harley as YOu don't own the bike if there is a lien on it...Harley does. From what I'm gathering you took the money, paid for the salvage & fixed the bike with the rest of the money???? You can't do that....It's Harley's bike until you pay off the loan. You should never have gotten the money...that's where Progressive messed up. I'll be interested to see how they fix this!

Old 08-30-2007, 11:00 PM
hawaiibound
Tourer

Jeramy, I agree with your point, but at the same time every adjuster is a reflection on the company. Progressive obviously needs to do a better job on handling claims or training their employees. Sounds like they had a bad apple and are trying to "fix" the situation. (EVERY company makes bad hiring decisions.) But if you're going to put someone in a position where they can directly effect the financial and emotional well being of your customer... you need to make sure you're putting people who know their crap in those positions. What would happen if Road Head was critically injured and they sent this same amature out? His family would have to deal with a lot of unececcary stress, because the adjuster was playing their "D" game.
My point is,insurance claims are stressful. That's why we all make monthly donations to the insurance companies "just in case" something happens, we want to know we're going to be okay. Not trying to offend anyone in the insurance industry, but everyday occurances such as a totaled ride and how to deal with it shouldbe"standard operating procedure." Crap, they're INSURANCE adjusters, that is what we pay them for.I expect them to know their chit.
I obviously don't know is situation, but if you total your bike and owe 10k, insurance pays book value of 6k... hope you have 4k in the bank. From the post (I assuming and you know what they say about assumptions) he owed less that what his bike was worth,bought it back and somehow Progressive failed to pay off the balance on the loan.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:07 PM
HeatherC
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I guess we definately need some clarification as to exactly what happened before we can make any judgements. From his previous posts I did not gather that he owned less than the bike was worth and purchased it with left over money. If that was the case why would he be asking HDCredit for their written proceedures to show they will not finance a salvaged bike?

Old 08-30-2007, 11:22 PM
ecvjohn
Banned

Who did you buy the bike back from? Progressive? If so they would have to pay the bike off first and HD financehas nothing to do with it from that point on. I'm thinking Heather is right here and he received a check that should have gone to HD finance.
SOP is to establish value,minus deductible, pay lein holder and the remainder if any goes to insured.

This can't end well for someone.............

Old 08-31-2007, 12:04 AM
freekdawg1200
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[sm=popcorn.gif]This is gettin' good!

Old 08-31-2007, 12:17 AM
Qball
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Totalled mine with a couple thousand miles on it. Other insurance company paid off Harley Credit and I could of bought bike from them for too much money, in my opinion. GAP insurance was not worth anything becuase bike was so new, I got nothing becuase I was out nothing. Extended warranty was a waste too, but I may have been reimbursed something, can't remember.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:15 AM
twisty571
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

we'll just say edit for now[>:]

Quick Reply: WTF!! Harley is taking my Bike (update #2)