Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rejection of Personal Injury Protection Coverage Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 11:47 AM
smartbait
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rejection of Personal Injury Protection Coverage Question

I received Progressive’s letter to reject the PIP coverage that they are required by law to attach to your policy unless they get a signature from you rejecting it. It covers up to 20,000 2 people max in the case I got hit by someone who didn’t have auto insurance. The cost of this coverage is 152.00 for my one-year term. I already have 2,500 in PIP that I can pull from for deductibles from my health insurance. Remember this 20,000 only covers me if someone HITS me and they are deemed responsible. If someone cuts me off and I hit a curb and bust my *** all up or I am in a single rider accident it’s void. I know everyone here has had to make this decision in the past, what did you decide?

Old 08-29-2007, 11:56 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Rejection of Personal Injury Protection Coverage Question

Uninsure Motorist Coverage is what covers your injuries if you're hit by someone who has no insurance. PIP (Personal Injury Protection) is a coverage provided in no fault states that covers you if injured by someone else that DOES have insurance. In the case of an average injury (depending on what state you're in) no fault means just that.The other person might have caused the accident but he's held at no fault. All of your losses are paid for by your own insurance company. If you incur huge medical and lost wage amounts you have to go to your own PIP coverage. If you have no PIP you have no place to go except maybe your personal health insurance and theydon't cover lost wages.

It's very possible my understanding of insurance coverages is no longervalid as I've been retired from being an insurance claims manager for 17 years now but, if things haven't changed since I retired, you don't fully understand what coverages apply to what and should spend some more time discussing these things with your agent to make sure you do understand what is and what isn't covered, and by what specific coverages.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:47 PM
ianchris1
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I work in insurance. I don't have that crap on my policy. If you have decent health insurance, they will cover you anyway withjust the deductible money out of your pocket. Think of it as a warranty though, probably never use it but how much is peace of mind worth? But the points above are valid. PIP covers a pretty wide range of expenses. I would elect UMB if you don't have it already. $150/year isn't bad though.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:24 PM
StargazerXT12
Road Warrior

I work in the Personal Injury industry. Be SURE before you reject that, that you will not be excluded from any other coveragebecause you ride a motorcycle. My Car PIP will not cover an accident on the bike, but my Bike Insurance will. My health insurance will cover but only to a certain point.

Read the fine print. Personally I wouldn't ride or drive without PIP and UIM. I've seen far too many people get screwed over because they didn't have coverage.

In Washington State Insurance is Mandatory. However, that doesn't stop people from driving without it. They cause an accident, they get a $475.00 fine, and off they go. They rarely have assets you can even attach if you should get a judgment against them. So, basically in this state the mandatory insurance law is only keeping honest people honest.

Old 08-29-2007, 04:09 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What I decided is that both Progessive and GEICO suck stinky rice burner farts. GEICO from personal experience, and Progressive just because of that company's ownership. If those were my only choices for insurance, I'd sell the cages and the bike, and buy a few horses.

Markel Insurance..... www.bike-line.com

Old 08-29-2007, 05:55 PM
tjones
Advanced

Ditto sporty pig I carry Markel as well. Progresive may have been a little cheaper. But the guys at Markel are riders also and I felt better giving them my money.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:22 AM
Tiggeresq
Advanced

The PIP endorsement to the liabilitypolicy covers your own medical expenses, lost wages, and other miscellaneous medically related expensesin the event of an accident regardless of who is at fault.It will also cover members of your household and authorized drivers and passengers.
Texasallows you to waive this coverage.If your health insurancewill adequately cover your medical expenses in the event of an accident you could waive it, however, if you are out of work you would also be waiving the lost wage coverage provided by the PIP endorsement.There is also no co-pay for PIP benefits, unlike health insurance.

Uninsured/underinsured coverage is a completely different issue and requires a liability analysis.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:51 AM
BlueDragon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Florida is dropping PIP all together.. it's causing a big stir around here~ We were a no-fault state... but, it would seem that is coming to an end~ I've always declined the uninsured motorist coverage, but not no more! The media is claiming that it's gonna cause more people to drive without any coverage and likely to bring on more and more law suits~ [&:]