Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil - Oh No Not Again

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 06:44 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts
Default Oil - Oh No Not Again

First, This post is Not About Oil Brands but about V-Twin Oils. It's not about my Amsoil is better than your XYZ brand. It's about the difference between V-twin synthetics and automotime synthetics.

If you're happy with your oil fine. Stay with it.For those thatbuy into the marketing hype that you need to have a special V-Twin oil in your MC this might be worth reading.

Is your $9+ per quartV-twin oil really any better than $4 auto synthetic oil? For those of you that venture outside the sportster section of this forum you may be familiar with Pocojc, he probably knows more about oil than anyone on hdforums and he comments on the subject in this thread.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2117248/tm.htm

Old 08-28-2007, 06:47 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RE: What Oil - Oh No Not Again

Will your bike run longer on 9 dollar synth MC oil or 4 dollar synth auto oil than mine will on $1.99 dino? I don't know, but I am going to find out. I'm at 67k on Twin Cam. I let you know when she pops.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:53 AM
cHarley
Club Member

ORIGINAL: xxxflhrci

Will your bike run longer on 9 dollar synth MC oil or 4 dollar synth auto oil than mine will on $1.99 dino? I don't know, but I am going to find out. I'm at 67k on Twin Cam. I let you know when she pops.
I guess I should haveincluded in my original post that "This is also not about Syn vs Dino".

Old 08-28-2007, 03:01 PM
dhc8guru
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The difference between V-twin formulated formula oils and other motorcycle/car oils is Viscosity...
V-twin engines typically have roller bearing cranks which require the higher viscosity oil (HD dino oil actually has the highest viscosity rating with SYN3 coming in second).
The biggest difference between motorcycle oil and car oil isagreateramount of anti-corrosion additives in the motorcycle oil...they assume a motorcycle has longer periods of downtime inbetween usage so a need to fight off corrosion caused by moisture build-up. People who find there oil is milky is due to high humidity building up water in the crankcase which if you ride the bike on a regular basis, the water evaporates but if you let the bike sit in a moist area, climatic changes will cause water to build up fast. If you use a quality motorcycle oil, it will coat the internal engine components with corrosion inhibitors which will keep the rust away. Large quantities of water are not going to evaporate easily and likely there will be damage unless the oil is replaced.

The real question you have to ask yourself is if your Sportster is worth the extra $4 a quart and the peace of mind that you are using the right product.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:08 PM
cHarley
Club Member

ORIGINAL: dhc8guru

The difference between V-twin formulated formula oils and other motorcycle/car oils is Viscosity...
V-twin engines typically have roller bearing cranks which require the higher viscosity oil (HD dino oil actually has the highest viscosity rating with SYN3 coming in second).
The biggest difference between motorcycle oil and car oil isagreateramount of anti-corrosion additives in the motorcycle oil...they assume a motorcycle has longer periods of downtime inbetween usage so a need to fight off corrosion caused by moisture build-up. People who find there oil is milky is due to high humidity building up water in the crankcase which if you ride the bike on a regular basis, the water evaporates but if you let the bike sit in a moist area, climatic changes will cause water to build up fast. If you use a quality motorcycle oil, it will coat the internal engine components with corrosion inhibitors which will keep the rust away. Large quantities of water are not going to evaporate easily and likely there will be damage unless the oil is replaced.

The real question you have to ask yourself is if your Sportster is worth the extra $4 a quart and the peace of mind that you are using the right product.
You obviously either didn't read the link or didn't comprehend the information. The auto oil discussed had more corrosion inhibiting additive than the V-Twin, ie Calcium to combat the sulpher. Condensation causes water in the oil and neither products can prevent it.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:28 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

O.K., O.K..........My Ironhead has had auto oil ran in it for the past 30 years. I'll let you know when it pops.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:37 PM
kawsakimx6
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: xxxflhrci

O.K., O.K..........My Ironhead has had auto oil ran in it for the past 30 years. I'll let you know when it pops.
WOW really!!!!

Old 08-28-2007, 07:30 PM
jeramy
Banned

sounds like i know what im changeing to next change.even the freakin dino vt oil is more than auto and if the auto is better then i can now afford to run better oil for approxametly the sameish price.Thanks for the info charley.