Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 sportster with bayonet gas cap need help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2023, 02:03 AM
Bernhard85
Stage IV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 94 sportster with bayonet gas cap need help?

Hello, i am new here as a poster but ive used your forum for many years to help figure so many things out on my harleys so i want to stsrt by saying thank you to everyone not for personally helping me but for the invaluable information over the years from the forum,
I am hoping I put this in the right place as I searched for atleast the last two hours. Just here in the forums and a week or so online, I'm trying to find if anyone would know of an adapter or just a fuel cap that would screw/fit into the tank on my 94 sportster, it's an original harley tank but I'm thinking it came off another bike as it's a 4.5 gallon tank with the bayonet style cap on a 94 sportster.. i bought the bike back in 2007 and never really had a reason to change the gas cap but I was wanting o get a flush mount gas cap, one of the pop up style and thats what made me spend the last week trying to figure out if I have to weld an insert into the tank which I'd prefer to not because the paint is in really nice condition, ( if I have to weld in an adapter then if anyone has any suggestions of a good quality adapter I'd appreciate that input as well) so I'm trying to find out if there is an adapter of some sort that would screw in or maybe use epoxy with the insert to convert the tank to threaded so I can atleast get a newer looking gas cap even if its not the flush mount style, my tank is the axed style with the cap offset on the right.. if anyone has any information that might help, I'd be super grateful as I've been burning my eyeballs out on Google trying to find something 😄 thank you in advance for any and all input and again super sorry if this is the wrong spot in the forum for this but I wasn't positive where else to post it and figured sportster was the best place good 👍

Old 12-11-2023, 06:27 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,334 Likes on 6,137 Posts

Post up some pics of your tank and the gas cap, It might help.

The following 3 users liked this post by Bubba Zanetti:
Bernhard85 (12-23-2023), John Harper (12-11-2023), Rob Roy's Revenge (12-11-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 08:01 AM
TexasScooterTrash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,395 Likes on 855 Posts

The axed fatbob tank with the bayonet style gas cap is not a Harley gas tank. Pure aftermarket. OPTION 1 - Lowbrow Customs has a weld in screw-in adapter for around $80. Ya gotta think, how bad do you really want to do this. A professional welder, have tank pressure tested for leaks and repainted. Is it worth it? OPTION 2 - replace the tank. Now the cost is painting the tank and a gas cap.

Old 12-11-2023, 08:41 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,334 Likes on 6,137 Posts

What is the axed style tank you guys are talking about? Split tank with a bib?

Old 12-11-2023, 10:22 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,973 Likes on 1,345 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasScooterTrash
The axed fatbob tank with the bayonet style gas cap is not a Harley gas tank. Pure aftermarket. OPTION 1 - Lowbrow Customs has a weld in screw-in adapter for around $80. Ya gotta think, how bad do you really want to do this. A professional welder, have tank pressure tested for leaks and repainted. Is it worth it? OPTION 2 - replace the tank. Now the cost is painting the tank and a gas cap.
OPTION 3 : Just live with what you have already, those pop-up caps are prone to malfunction from what I've read. No one notices the gas cap anyway, unless it's missing.

John

The following 4 users liked this post by John Harper:
hammer6315 (12-25-2023), Rob Roy's Revenge (12-11-2023), TexasScooterTrash (12-11-2023), tmac00333 (12-25-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 03:07 PM
Rob Roy's Revenge
Road Warrior
Received 1,084 Likes on 618 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubba Zanetti
What is the axed style tank you guys are talking about? Split tank with a bib?
I have a feeling that he has one of these axed Mustang tanks with dual bayonet cap fillers, the left one is a dummy.

Old 12-11-2023, 05:56 PM
OCSpringer
HDF Community Team
Received 739 Likes on 428 Posts

Just buy a new tank and sell the old one or keep it as a spare or something. I had that old style gas cap on a previous tank and it always leaked until I started using leather gaskets.

The following 2 users liked this post by OCSpringer:
Bernhard85 (12-23-2023), John Harper (12-12-2023)
Old 12-23-2023, 11:17 PM
Bernhard85
Stage IV

Sorry all I was on the road traveling but I got time to check back and I have a screenshot of the same tank as im not home currently to take pictures but it is the exact tank in the screenshot and the link idk if it's paughco but it's identical to this tank https://www.paughcoparts.com/product...994-sportsters

It has never leaked or anything on me but id really just like to update the cap to the screw in style i can weld it if needed and i know to make sure its cleaned and theres no gasses inside and everything but i was just curios if there was a quick adapter or something instead of cutting the old neck off and welding a new one, and thank you all for the input and help I do appreciate it all sorry I couldn't get back to everyone faster ❤️

Last edited by Bernhard85; 12-23-2023 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Add more info
Old 12-23-2023, 11:25 PM
Bernhard85
Stage IV

Originally Posted by John Harper
OPTION 3 : Just live with what you have already, those pop-up caps are prone to malfunction from what I've read. No one notices the gas cap anyway, unless it's missing.

John
yeah I was talking to Lowbrow so that's what I'll probably do just wsnted to see if there was a quick simple adapter of some sort and you guys/gals know about all the less mainstream parts so I figured I'd check haha I appreciate the help a ton. I'd buy a new tank but I can seen to find this same tank with the screw in style cap? And even if I could just use a regular cap thats fine the flush mount isn't a must have .. ive searched in my off time trying to find the same tank as I really like the look of it especially the cap location, I just can't seem to find the same tank but with a screw in cap bung... thanks again to you and everyone for the input it's greatly appreciated I know it's not a huge issue or anything I just figured you all would know the bedt methods ❤️

The following users liked this post:
John Harper (12-24-2023)
Old 12-24-2023, 01:04 PM
Bernhard85
Stage IV
Default Found a new tank, and finally got home to upload pictures of my current tank

Sorry all I posted the tank I am gonna buy haha, My tank is identical but has the older style gas cap the bayonet or blade style haha I had to many browsers open 😄 but the tank I linked with a screw in cap is what I am gonna order so hopefully it's good, unless someome has a better option? I am open to suggestions if anyone knows of a better option. I'm gonna do as suggested and put my old tank up once I make sure it's good and clean and prepped for storage. Thank you all for the input I know it's not a big ordeal just wanted to see what everyone point of view was on what to do as I trust the opinions of you all and have for a long time 🤘🙂 as always thank you.
I am linking pictures of my current tank

It has a small amount of sueface rust around the outside of the bung but the tank inside is in great condition, as ive used it since 2008 when I bought the bike 😄 never let me down, knock on wood 😆 im gonna have my paint and body guy clean the tank good and paint it to keep it from rusting out so if snyone has a sufgestion for treating the inside for storage im open ears as ive never stored a tank before? Do i leave the cap off or keep it on for storage.. i figure you all would know best 👍

Ps. this is the link to the tank I am gonna order 👍 https://www.paughcoparts.com/product...994-sportsters.

Last edited by Bernhard85; 12-24-2023 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Misspelling

Quick Reply: 94 sportster with bayonet gas cap need help?