Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H-D or ?? Fork Brace

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 12:46 PM
SuperBrace
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: H-D or ?? Fork Brace

Thanks for the feedback. SuperBrace has the patent on 1 and 2 piece braces opposed to other guys who have to use more pieces to avoid the patents (more pieces = less rigid). The already lowered priced Superbrace is currently having a group buy till November 30th, so if you're thinking about, you probably want to take advantage of the savings.

Old 11-27-2005, 01:35 PM
MegaHDman
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: sb2005

Thanks for the feedback. SuperBrace has the patent on 1 and 2 piece braces opposed to other guys who have to use more pieces to avoid the patents (more pieces = less rigid). The already lowered priced Superbrace is currently having a group buy till November 30th, so if you're thinking about, you probably want to take advantage of the savings.
Well the SE forkbrace is a 2 piece unit, and its pretty much identical to the "superbrace" so I would like to know what "patent" they have thats legit. Unless they supply SE with their forkbrace, Superbrace is quite a few years late on the design.

Old 11-28-2005, 07:46 PM
SuperBrace
Banned

MegaHDman,

You are correct SE has a patent but it's only for the 4 piece brace while SuperBrace has the patents on 1,2 and 3 piece braces. Also, SuperBrace has a really clean look (no large logos, hardware is installed through the back and more options to choose from).

sb2005

[IMG]local://upfiles/5421/1487393A4C294C31B0DF6F71930BEAB1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-28-2005, 08:04 PM
MegaHDman
Banned

ORIGINAL: sb2005

MegaHDman,

You are correct SE has a patent but it's only for the 4 piece brace while SuperBrace has the patents on 1,2 and 3 piece braces. Also, SuperBrace has a really clean look (no large logos, hardware is installed through the back and more options to choose from).

sb2005

[IMG]local://upfiles/5421/1487393A4C294C31B0DF6F71930BEAB1.jpg[/IMG]
Hehehe, actually since you missed it, I'll correct myself. I thought the SE fork brace was a 2 piece unit, and based my last comments on that assumption. Its not 2 piece's, it's a 4 piece brace(The SE brace). But note I didn't assume it had any type of patent(does it?).

Quality wise, I still think the SE is a great item, even though it only comes in chrome. I really don't like SE products in general, but this one is an exception. All the hardware is sunk into the brace giving a clean look, and the SE laser etched logo is a nice touch. Ill have to check out the Superbrace up close. To be honest they both look almost identical.

Old 12-01-2005, 12:26 AM
Big Cholla
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MegaHDman: I have 2,000 miles on my XL 1200 R now with about 400 of that with the Superbrace installed. I am fairly heavy at 230 lbs. I noticed a small difference immediately in how the front end felt during hard cornering. I am a fast rider when all the conditions allow me to do so. I have never tried any of the other braces for street bikes, but in my desert racing days, always ran with the best fork brace available for that particular bike.

I think that if you ride "average" you would never need or even appreciate the brace. If you ride hard or fast, you will appreciate the difference in cornering. There are some that say the brace also helps prevent the dreaded "tank slapper" at speed. I can't address that as neither H-D that I own have ever exhibited any tendency to wobble all the way out to WFO. BC

Old 12-01-2005, 04:36 PM
MegaHDman
Banned

ORIGINAL: Big Cholla

MegaHDman: I have 2,000 miles on my XL 1200 R now with about 400 of that with the Superbrace installed. I am fairly heavy at 230 lbs. I noticed a small difference immediately in how the front end felt during hard cornering. I am a fast rider when all the conditions allow me to do so. I have never tried any of the other braces for street bikes, but in my desert racing days, always ran with the best fork brace available for that particular bike.

I think that if you ride "average" you would never need or even appreciate the brace. If you ride hard or fast, you will appreciate the difference in cornering. There are some that say the brace also helps prevent the dreaded "tank slapper" at speed. I can't address that as neither H-D that I own have ever exhibited any tendency to wobble all the way out to WFO. BC
"Tank slapper" comes from poor front end geometry, and/or a combination if improperly adjusted steering head bearings. Fork braces tend to also make a bigger difference on longer stretched out fork legs. The Sporty with a 29 degree rake and pretty short legs being what it is probably isnt the most needy of the forkbrace. But it still isnt a bad idea to put one on. I think it still improves feedback and makes for a more precises riding bike.

Here is a pic of a 1200R with the "Screamin Eagle" forkbrace up close.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:12 PM
warrenrx
Intermediate

I dont know, but I am taking the fender off my bike and I thought it might help stabilize the front end better. The bike is fine without one now, but I really want to make sure the front is stable before I head out and turn 100+ MPH w/o as much as a fender in the middle if the fork. Granted fenders arent that much for flexion but they are better nothing. So call me stupid, but I add extra fork bracing to a BUSA before I run it top speed and plan to do the same on my dyna also.