Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike Vacation in UK

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 05:04 PM
Tommo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bike Vacation in UK

This is a nice location...http://www.bamburghcastle.com/bamburgh-castle.html

Thing with the lake district,everyone goes there,the small roads are crowded and accomodation quite hard to find...I only live an hour away,and usally pass it by and go to Scotland.My ancestors are from there and you usually feel you are back home,visually Scotland is 200% better than the Lakes....just keep an eye out for sheep on the road[&:]

As have been mentioned the castles built by Edward I in north Wales are probably the most impressive.

Btw...if your thinking about next year...get yourslelf booked into the Isle of Man TT Races...petrol head heaven!...early June....between Ireland and the mainland.

Old 09-01-2007, 05:42 AM
Photo
Outstanding HDF Member

I agree with Tommo about the Lake District getting very crowded at peak times of the year. We always used to go about a fortnight (two weeks) before Easter and it was pretty quiet and we almost always got good weather. I dont agree about Scotland being 200% better visually but thats just a personal taste and I must admit I havent seen anything like as much of Scotland. The Lakes also hold a lot of sentimental value to me personally which probaby colours my view of them. The quality of the road surfaces throughout most of Scotland was one of the things that struck me the most. They are far superior to the average road in England.

I've never been to the TT races and hadnt thought of it, but Tommo is quite right, it would certainly be something to include in your plans if the timing was right.

Old 09-01-2007, 08:29 AM
raym87
Intermediate

Hi there Dethlace...............have you thought about the Southwest.............there are some really good sights in this part of the country. Contrary to popular opinion..........life doesn't end at Bristol. Dont know when you plan to come over but there is a huge bike rally in June....the Plymouth Megaride........normally gets about 5 - 6000 bikes. Also Plymouth is a real good gateway to mainland Europe if you fancy it.....just a couple of hours on a ferry. Life down here is less stressed and the weather is usually better. Some good bike roads and interesting sights everywhere. (too many to mention).....if you want more specific info then I will be happy to oblige.
The nearest (official) Harley dealer is in Bridgwater, Somerset.
http://www.riders-bw.co.uk/harley/index.htm...
they do rentals but I am not sure of the cost.......
Wherever you go...enjoy and have fun but most of all remember....British car drivers are A&&holes.