Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very loud tapping randomly...exhaust leak, lifter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2023, 02:08 PM
OCSpringer
HDF Community Team
Received 747 Likes on 433 Posts

I also have another rocker box setup I could throw on there to see if it is the rocker setup. I may do that as a next step. If that doesn't work then it has to be the heads or possible the pistons at which time I will just send the heads to Hammer and have them go through them and the just buy a 1275 kit and hope for the best.

Old 11-21-2023, 03:06 PM
RDHIGH
Road Captain
Received 167 Likes on 126 Posts

Id just ride the hell out of it- if it pops it pops... who cares if its a little ticky. My bikes make weird new noises all the time- sometimes more noise- sometimes less- sometimes i notice- sometimes i dont. You may be overthinking this too much.

Old 11-21-2023, 03:17 PM
OCSpringer
HDF Community Team

Normally I would agree with that but it's more than a little ticky, it's a lot ticky. And when it's really ticking you can feel it when you give it gas. I just rebuilt this motor so if it goes in a big way that's well over $5k in parts out the window.

Old 11-21-2023, 03:24 PM
snatchcat
Tourer
Received 154 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by OCSpringer
I also have another rocker box setup I could throw on there to see if it is the rocker setup. I may do that as a next step. If that doesn't work then it has to be the heads or possible the pistons at which time I will just send the heads to Hammer and have them go through them and the just buy a 1275 kit and hope for the best.
I would keep the parts in there that are already friendly with each other if I could.

Old 11-21-2023, 03:28 PM
OCSpringer
HDF Community Team

I have rocker lockers on the other set of rocker boxes, which are OEM. The set I am running now are S&S rocker boxes, which are pretty different in how they are set up, but operate in the same manner of course. To me signs are still pointing towards a sticky valve which could have toasted one of the lifters or a bad lifter toasted one of the valves. Or maybe it's just a little carboned up. I am going to run it again tomorrow for an hour and see what happens now that the solvent in the gas and oil has had time to sit a bit. It was lighter today so maybe it will work itself out. I'll run it an hour a day all week and see what happens. Everything is new in the engine minus the rods/crankshaft. When the engine is not fully up to temp it runs and sounds awesome, and even at temp half the time it sounds great too.

Last edited by OCSpringer; 11-21-2023 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-21-2023, 04:15 PM
snatchcat
Tourer
Received 154 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by OCSpringer
I have rocker lockers on the other set of rocker boxes, which are OEM. The set I am running now are S&S rocker boxes, which are pretty different in how they are set up, but operate in the same manner of course. To me signs are still pointing towards a sticky valve which could have toasted one of the lifters or a bad lifter toasted one of the valves. Or maybe it's just a little carboned up. I am going to run it again tomorrow for an hour and see what happens now that the solvent in the gas and oil has had time to sit a bit. It was lighter today so maybe it will work itself out. I'll run it an hour a day all week and see what happens. Everything is new in the engine minus the rods/crankshaft. When the engine is not fully up to temp it runs and sounds awesome, and even at temp half the time it sounds great too.
I was only thinking of the valve tip to rocker pad already established wear pattern. I do understand though most folks wouldn't consider it important either way

Old 11-22-2023, 01:18 PM
OCSpringer
HDF Community Team

I agree. I think it is important to keep mated parts together when disassembly/reassembly. I don't think it will damage things necessarily but I think will likely cause more noise and things just won't be as tight as they would be if they were mated back together.

Old 11-22-2023, 01:25 PM
OCSpringer
HDF Community Team

Well, I went out for another hour long ride (same route as yesterday) and after running with MMO the ticking has definitely quieted down and is less consistent. The bike ran very well actually and I am cautiously optimistic. I do think it is a sticking valve and likely it toasted the lifter. That's my theory anyway.

The following users liked this post:
John Harper (11-22-2023)
Old 11-23-2023, 02:58 PM
OCSpringer
HDF Community Team

Finally got a good video if the clicking coming and going. I am pretty much certain it is the rear exhaust valve sticking. Took it on 100 mile ride today and really hammered on it and it didn't miss a beat aside from the clattering that comes and goes. It is getting better though so I am hopeful it will work itself out.

Old 11-24-2023, 07:29 PM
OCSpringer
HDF Community Team

Well the rear head is off and valves are out. Looks decent to me. I'll clean the valves before re-installing tomorrow morning. I checked the rocker shafts and there is zero play. Everything seems like it is order. There is some carbon buildup on the exhaust valve but not much.

The following users liked this post:
John Harper (11-24-2023)

Quick Reply: Very loud tapping randomly...exhaust leak, lifter?