Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for GothMetalGuitarist..

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 03:17 PM
GothMetalGuitarist
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Question for GothMetalGuitarist..

ORIGINAL: ianchris1

ORIGINAL: GothMetalGuitarist

Mustaine-Great songwriter, guitarist not-so-much.
Skolnick-Definitely a great guitarist, I mention Murphy because I think he is underappreciated
Vai-GOD
Satch-GOD
Petrucci-GOD
Rhoads-Okay I should have mentioned that Randy is my favorite guitarist of all times. RIP!!!!
Michael Hedges-Greatest Acoustic guitarist ever. RIP!!!
And the list goes on......

As far as limiting myself... I think not. I have over 4000 CDS in my collection and countless OTHER forms of music in every genre on the planet. From Opera to Operatika! But you are correct, many folks do limit themselves. As a guitar teacher I always teach my students to listen to many forms of music as it will keep them fresh and give them ideas for their own music.

Now lets talk Pitch Axis Theory!!!
Randy is my favorite as well. Never be another... Vai, great ability but horrible songwriter. Give his ability to Mustaine... perfect! Too much theory clogs the soul from coming through. Case in point... Dream Theater. Berklee grads with no heart. JP runs a bunch of sped up SteveMorse licks. He does have his own style to a degree, but it is all technique and no heart. But if you really want to talk shop, let's go!J/K, I don't want to offend anyone or highjack the thread. Although, maybe that is too late! If you want to, PM me and we can really talk shop. Always up for it.
You need to see DT in concert. I totally disagree with the no heart thing. And JP plays from a lot of influences. Sure general knowledge is that he loves Steve Morse but I too would have that opinion if I had listened to a limited amount of their music. The fact is, that band as a whole can play ANYTHING and play it better than the original, which in most cases offends and puts fans off. Not me. After hanging with Mike, John and Jordan and talking with them I get it. Listen to "Surrounded" from the CD "Images and Words" and tell me there is no feeling or soul in that. I understand where you are coming from and all. But, there music does exactly what it supposed to. If it is cold and heartless at times, it was written that way. To involk a feeling or sense. Afterall they are called DREAM THEATER for a reason.

Generally I keep my music out of these forums as I deal with music all day in a music store and all night with my studio and 2 bands... Could not, NOT reply to this one though.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:05 PM
Dr.Cool
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dr.Cool

Dave Mustane and Dimebag are better.
Better than what? Mustaine sucks at guitar. Same solo in every song. Megadeth is my favorite band ever, but to say he is better than anyone is a joke. Best rhythm guitarist probably, but lead... awful. I have seen the guy in concert I think5 times now and met him. Horrible live guitarist, not friendly either. Plus he is a hypocritical idiot who lies in every interview. His opinions change more than John Kerry. Marty Friedman though... nice guy and ridiculous guitarist. Dimebag definitely. Awesome all around.
I have seen megadeth 4 times, and agree with every single thing you say. To be honest, the orginal post was going to read "the dude from Cheap Trick and Dimebag are better" but I figured that was way too out of line and would've incited a riot.... so I tossed in Mustane.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:44 PM
ianchris1
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mustaine-Great songwriter, guitarist not-so-much.
Skolnick-Definitely a great guitarist, I mention Murphy because I think he is underappreciated
Vai-GOD
Satch-GOD
Petrucci-GOD
Rhoads-Okay I should have mentioned that Randy is my favorite guitarist of all times. RIP!!!!
Michael Hedges-Greatest Acoustic guitarist ever. RIP!!!
And the list goes on......

As far as limiting myself... I think not. I have over 4000 CDS in my collection and countless OTHER forms of music in every genre on the planet. From Opera to Operatika! But you are correct, many folks do limit themselves. As a guitar teacher I always teach my students to listen to many forms of music as it will keep them fresh and give them ideas for their own music.

Now lets talk Pitch Axis Theory!!!
Randy is my favorite as well. Never be another... Vai, great ability but horrible songwriter. Give his ability to Mustaine... perfect! Too much theory clogs the soul from coming through. Case in point... Dream Theater. Berklee grads with no heart. JP runs a bunch of sped up SteveMorse licks. He does have his own style to a degree, but it is all technique and no heart. But if you really want to talk shop, let's go!J/K, I don't want to offend anyone or highjack the thread. Although, maybe that is too late! If you want to, PM me and we can really talk shop. Always up for it.
You need to see DT in concert. I totally disagree with the no heart thing. And JP plays from a lot of influences. Sure general knowledge is that he loves Steve Morse but I too would have that opinion if I had listened to a limited amount of their music. The fact is, that band as a whole can play ANYTHING and play it better than the original, which in most cases offends and puts fans off. Not me. After hanging with Mike, John and Jordan and talking with them I get it. Listen to "Surrounded" from the CD "Images and Words" and tell me there is no feeling or soul in that. I understand where you are coming from and all. But, there music does exactly what it supposed to. If it is cold and heartless at times, it was written that way. To involk a feeling or sense. Afterall they are called DREAM THEATER for a reason.

Generally I keep my music out of these forums as I deal with music all day in a music store and all night with my studio and 2 bands... Could not, NOT reply to this one though.
This will never end! I have seen DT in concert a few times. Wasn't impressed. To each his own. And the Morse comment wasn't some general knowledge that I read in a mag. I love Morse and have been listening to DT since the first time I heard Lie back 10+ years ago. I have heard every one of their albums as well as some live bootlegs.Opinion unchanged. Great technical band, I would rather listen to Rush personally.Lieis an awesome song, but still... give me Miles, Jim Hall, Wes, Randy... really any number of guitarists that play with more heart and less brain than DT (or JP). That's my opinion and I am sticking to it. I do respect what you say though. I can see you are passionate and know your stuff which is refreshing considering the number of butthole guitar players there are. I don't say that to be condescending either. Please take it as a compliment.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:56 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

heart......I'd say that's what made Jimmy Page and Hendrics guitar icons

Old 08-29-2007, 12:21 AM
GothMetalGuitarist
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Duely noted and thanks for the compliment my friend. You too are passionate and it's all good. As you stated, to each his own and that is what makes this world interesting.

Even so, there are a lot of DT haters out there and thats fine. Most of them I have met have been of the "Well they may impress you but they don't impress me" type. Cutting against the grain just to put themselves at a perceptual higher ground. I just know what I like and could give a **** what the next guy likes or doesn't. Same goes for the music I write and play. I may write a Death Metal song today and a Reggae tune or Jazz Fusion piece tomorrow. It's all about what makes me happy or it ain't real. Same goes for you I am sure.

Peace.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:17 AM
ianchris1
Tourer

Agreed. I have friends who rag on me for listening to Prince, Herbie Hancock, etc... but I try to keep the Lamb of God or Slayer ready to appease them. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate DT. Just can't relate to lyrics about Dracula. Plus, when a studio is littered with sheets full of time changes, charts, etc, instead of a band just jamming it out, that just isn't for me. I do love JP's solo album though. I just wish DT would dump the singer (Lebrey or whatever his name is) and the keys and just play straight up rock like they did on Awake. What they are doing now is technically more amazing, but just can't get into it like I did when I heard Caught In a Web or Lie for the first time. I don't know, I guess I am just not into that stuff like I once was. Any fool can sit with a metronome until he is faster than lightning, but it is tough to write an enduring song that people will recognize and will stand the test of time (ala Bridge of Sighs, Fragile, etc...). Ok, seriously I am done now!Ride safe, keep rocking (or jazzin'!), and stay true to what you love.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:24 PM
Dr.Cool
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dr.Cool

I have seen my share of skin...and I will leave it at that (Because my girlfriend reads these forums too)
OK Goth... Fine... Lets try this... Has any dude ever tossed his underwear at you while you were swing the axe. Anthrax rules.
Uh Yeah, No.
Well Goth, let me give you some advice... if your agent ever tells you just got booked for a gig at the Blue Oyster.... just say no.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:01 PM
Lamo70
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ace Frehley, Peter Framptom, Eddie Van Halen.

Did I mention I'm seeing KISS in Whistler on Sept 15th ?????

Old 08-29-2007, 08:30 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member

Here's one I did the lead work on. It's a rough cut.

http://www.guitarblast.com/attachmen...p;d=1187918780