Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

horn kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2023, 10:20 AM
ScottJones
Intermediate
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default horn kit

Good morning. Scott here again. I would like to relocate my front mounted horn to the side of my 2008 sportster. Or maybe add a side horn and use both horns. There are a lot aftermarket horn options for the side mounted horn kit. At the very least I need a bracket to mount to the engine for the horn to mount to. Any ideas on this? Thanks.

Old 07-24-2023, 02:09 PM
fskitch
Road Master
Received 384 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottJones
Good morning. Scott here again. I would like to relocate my front mounted horn to the side of my 2008 sportster. Or maybe add a side horn and use both horns. There are a lot aftermarket horn options for the side mounted horn kit. At the very least I need a bracket to mount to the engine for the horn to mount to. Any ideas on this? Thanks.
Mine came with the big cowbell hanging off the side and I relocated to the down tubes up front like yours. The bracket is still there.16353-04 is the part number.
ebay has em.

Old 07-24-2023, 02:21 PM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,997 Likes on 2,551 Posts

It seems different 2008 models use either location. The Custom here has the cowbell side mounted one. It is pretty descent for volume compared to some.

Old 07-24-2023, 03:49 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,973 Likes on 1,345 Posts

Originally Posted by fskitch
Mine came with the big cowbell hanging off the side and I relocated to the down tubes up front like yours. The bracket is still there.16353-04 is the part number.
ebay has em.
Is there any reason for keeping the bracket? It doesn't act as a motor mount like on my 1991 model and attach to the frame above. Perhaps you can ditch it as well?

I went the opposite direction. Started with the 883 horn, went to the cowbell side horn, then ditched all horns after realizing I never used either one and to clean up that side after my 1250 upgrade. It's got a funky (? shaped) mounting bracket that I kept, as it might be a tough item to find in the future, only made for a couple years.

John

Last edited by John Harper; 07-24-2023 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-24-2023, 04:08 PM
MAJOR
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

You don’t need the bracket. I mounted a small horn to the left fuel tank mount, it’s well hidden and passes inspection.

Old 07-24-2023, 05:18 PM
ScottJones
Intermediate

Thanks guys but I want to mount the chrome cowbell style on the left side of my engine. I see where some models come that way for the factory. I need the bracket that bolts to the cylinder heads. I have 2 bolts in that position that are not doing anything. I think that is where the bracket mounts. I also realize the bracket holds the choke. As I have fuel injection I will not be using that portion of the bracket. I think the chrome horn hanging off the side on the engine dresses up that side of the bike. Just sayin. Looks cool.

The following users liked this post:
John Harper (07-24-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 05:29 PM
Rob Roy's Revenge
Road Warrior
Received 1,084 Likes on 618 Posts

Originally Posted by MAJOR
You don’t need the bracket. I mounted a small horn to the left fuel tank mount, it’s well hidden and passes inspection.
Correct, some owners mount their horn directly onto the front fuel tank mounting bolt.

Old 07-24-2023, 07:54 PM
MAJOR
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottJones
Thanks guys but I want to mount the chrome cowbell style on the left side of my engine. I see where some models come that way for the factory. I need the bracket that bolts to the cylinder heads. I have 2 bolts in that position that are not doing anything. I think that is where the bracket mounts. I also realize the bracket holds the choke. As I have fuel injection I will not be using that portion of the bracket. I think the chrome horn hanging off the side on the engine dresses up that side of the bike. Just sayin. Looks cool.
sorry I didn’t understand. You need a bracket for sure to mount it between the jugs. get an OEM one for a 2007+ Sportster. It needs to be a stout piece to stand up to the vibrations. I’m sorry I threw mine out or I would give it to you.

Old 07-24-2023, 10:32 PM
fskitch
Road Master
Received 384 Likes on 196 Posts

@ScottJones what don’t you understand? Your question was answered.

Old 07-25-2023, 07:03 AM
ScottJones
Intermediate

Thanks for all of your responses.

Quick Reply: horn kit