Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 Sportster 1200C sputtering

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2023, 10:29 AM
Fatbs2
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Sportster 1200C sputtering

I will do my best to explain this as clearly as possible, but I am sure there will be some that will still have negative input
My 1997 Sportster suffered a huge power overload and blew out every bulb that was on during the power surge. The power surge also damaged other components as well like the ignition module and cam position sensor. I have replaced both of these and finally have it running again. However, something is still not right with the way it is running and I am thinking that something was damaged during the power surge and now I am at a loss.
It does start and run, but again it is not the same as before the power surge. meaning it just does idle the same. It idles, but just not like it used to, but it does rev-up fine. The main issue of concern is when I take it out for a ride it accelerate fine, but when i let off the throttle to obtain a cruising speed it sputters (almost like it is struggling to get fuel), but when i accelerate it does fine . I have taken the carb off twice and cleaned it, but to no avail. Is there a component i missed that could have been damaged during the power surge that would could this. Any help is greatly appreciated

Old 07-22-2023, 11:18 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,973 Likes on 1,345 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatbs2
I will do my best to explain this as clearly as possible, but I am sure there will be some that will still have negative input
Not sure why you would feel you'd receive negative input, especially from our forum.

Sputtering does seem to be carb related. Have you changed your intake manifold seals, you bike is 25 years old. Check any and all vacuum lines for cracks, etc. Especially your vacuum petcock, which can cause problems.

BTW, what was the cause of the power surge? Did you try to jump start with a running automobile?

Good luck, be positive!

John

Last edited by John Harper; 07-22-2023 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-23-2023, 08:15 AM
96hugger
Road Captain
Received 245 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by John Harper
Not sure why you would feel you'd receive negative input, especially from our forum.

Sputtering does seem to be carb related. Have you changed your intake manifold seals, you bike is 25 years old. Check any and all vacuum lines for cracks, etc. Especially your vacuum petcock, which can cause problems.

BTW, what was the cause of the power surge? Did you try to jump start with a running automobile?

Good luck, be positive!

John

This is the only forum where I am not constantly sh*t talked for asking or answering questions. Even on here sometimes people have to be a smart *** though. Over all way better than some other sportster forums.

Also I had a power surge like this and a stator wire inside the primary was arcing out and the voltage regulator was trying to compensate it. Had to replace nearly everything in the charging system.

I also had the same issues and struggled to find it for weeks. May not be the same thing, but it sounds very similar.

Last edited by 96hugger; 07-23-2023 at 08:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
John Harper (07-23-2023)
Old 07-23-2023, 01:29 PM
Fatbs2
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John Harper

Good luck, be positive!

John
John
Thank you for replying. No did not jump it. It just started acting crazy one day. The speedometer was bouncing up and down, the mileage was blinking off and on and then the power surge