Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary Chain Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 09:41 PM
Dandy Don
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primary Chain Adjustment

I'm looking to check the adjustment onthe primary chain on my 2005 1200XLand would appreciate some advise.

In the service manual you get the hot and cold specs for checking the play in the chain, but the diagram would seem to say that the range of play is measured fromhow lowchain can be moved down fromits at-rest position (after finding the tightest spot), tohow high. So ifgoes down 1/4 inch and up 1/4 inch that's 1/2 inch of play.

I got the Fix My Hog DVD and it shows them checking chain tension by just applying upward pressure and checking the play.

So my question is, which way? Up AND down, or just one way? Further, when checking the play, how much pressuredo you apply? Just enough to meet resistance, or enough totry "stretch" it?

I'dappreciate some advise.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:07 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,913 Likes on 1,428 Posts
Default RE: Primary Chain Adjustment

Up and down. Push down, see where the top of the chain stops, push up, see where the top of the chain stops. Adjust to spec.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:07 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I hear ya man...those specs on the primary chain are VERY confusing. If you look at it though, the acceptable amout of "play" in the chain is pretty broad.

I usually just feel the chain, plus knowing the input I have from riding the bike, then make an adjustment. I generally do this at the cold temp specs. Hot would be better, but my fingers don't like hot metal.

Some folks will tighten the primary chain up until it starts to "sing" and then back it off just a tad. I'm not sure that's not a good way to go about it.

Sorry to not be more help, but that's worked for me so far. And the dealer isn't gonna do any better, because their only expertise is to read the same manual you're reading (assuming they can read) and then they have the same information you have.....but less concern about the primary chain being adjusted correctly.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:10 AM
1200c
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the Fix My Hog DVD and it shows them checking chain tension by just applying upward pressure and checking the play.
All you have to do is what Fix my Hog does and apply pressure upwards. The reason for that is that gravity took care of the downward slack.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:09 AM
Dandy Don
Novice

Any comments on how much up (or down) pressure to apply when checking? That can make quite a difference.

Thanks all for the input.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:25 PM
racinjason
Cruiser

All you need to do is ride the bike, get it warmed up. The reason for that is because the chain will actually change as it heats up. So for complete accuracy check it hot. Once all that is done, jack your back tire offthe ground. Now pull the plugs out, put the bike in fifth gear.Pull the inspection cover off, now begin to rotate your back tire until you find the tightest spot in your chain. That is where you want to make the adjustment. Without touching the chain just eyeball it. Where ever the top of the chain is setting that is where you want the bottom of the chain to be when you push up on it. Basically you want the chain to be able to move the width of the chain. That is the right way to do it. It sounds like a lot, but it does not take long, and you know it's right.

Old 08-25-2007, 04:00 AM
Dandy Don
Novice

Do you just lift it, or do you push harder to stretch it a bit?

Old 08-25-2007, 11:37 AM
MacAttack
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Don,
Any chain adjustment spec includes both pushing downon it and pushing up on it - it's the maximum amount of play.

Old 08-25-2007, 07:32 PM
racinjason
Cruiser

No, you don't have to stretch it. If you have the chain to tight it will make a whining noise. If it is to loose you will feel slack through the bike it will have that jerking kind of feelto it. Plus you can hear it slapping around.