Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a nail!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 08:08 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Got a nail!

Thank god for tire insurance. I thanked my dealer for doing a outstanding job taking care of me. I found a nail in my rear tire when I got to work it was repairible. Called the Carrollton dealer and they said it would be tomorrow before they could even look at it. They were the closest. I work in Dallas and my dealer is 20 miles away in Allen. BTW, the tire was still full of air. I called Phillip who has been my service advisor from day 1. He said he would tow it in and said he would try to work it in. They showed up with a trailer an hour later.(I was working and had no way to get it there). I called a couple of hours later and Phillip said they would try to get it fixed by 6. I had to close my store at 7 and there's no way I could pick it up. They close at the same time. My daughter came by at 4:30 and I thought by chance I would call and see what the status was on my bike. They said it was finished. We drove to the dealer and when we pulled up there were at least 150 bikes sitting outside the service department. They where that busy!! My bike was burried in the crowd of all those bikes. I walked in, they handed my keys(no charge) and I was off to work again. I got to work and took a look at my tire. Wanted to make sure they had balanced it. It was a brand stinking new tire!!! Still had the factory paint markers on the tread. They exceeded my expectations and I don't feel upset anymore about paying for the service plan or the tire plan. As far as I'm concerned, they were worth every penny.

D

Old 08-22-2007, 09:46 PM
brgtr3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Got a nail!

[sm=wtf.gif]Tire plan? Tire insurance? Never heard of it. Is it a HD thing, or just a dealer thing?

Nice to hear they replaced the tire. Don't think I'd want to ride a tire with a plug!

Keith

Old 08-22-2007, 09:53 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well here goes. It's a Harley thing.

Tire protection plan: Anything happens to the tires within 3 years of purchase is covered. They patch and don't plug tires. Roadhazards anything is covered uncluding free replacement. $300.00

Service plan: All maintance anything reguarding your bike is free for 3 years. $1700.00

I don't know about you all. But replacing a tire or flat repair is damn expensive. Why not just pay for it and put it into the loan and get it overwith?

Old 08-23-2007, 02:55 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dallastx

Tire protection plan: Anything happens to the tires within 3 years of purchase is covered. They patch and don't plug tires. Roadhazards anything is covered uncluding free replacement. $300.00

I don't know about you all. But replacing a tire or flat repair is damn expensive. Why not just pay for it and put it into the loan and get it overwith?

The reason I see not paying for it is because: First, 300 bucks, well 300+ bucks if you are adding it to the end of a note, will buy a heck of a lot of tire patches, after all you said they are just gonna patch your tire. (Sure, you got a tire thistime, but it probably needed replacing or was damaged beyond repairing.) Second, 300+ bucks will buy nearly 3 new tires. Third, historically speaking it won't pay off in my experience.....In the past 100k milesor riding, I have only picked up one nail.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:40 AM
outdoorgirl57
Road Master

I paid $15 last week to get mine repaired.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:53 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I carry a kit to plug and inflate my tires.

All vehicle purchases anymore have all these different plans they want to load onto the backend of the deal. This is where the dealer makes their bucks that are all gravy. You also pay interest on the amount above purchase. When I was in business selling vehicles, I would sell a vehicle at invoice plus delivery and prep charges, if I could load on the backend with ins, service plans, seasonal plans, maintenance, etc.. That's where I made big money. HD has learned this from the auto/truck dealers.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:45 AM
smartbait
Cruiser

I didn't buy anything else they offered; the finance lady couldn’t catch a break from me.She told me how she was so fortunate to get the tire insurance since she picked up 2 nails in one month. Told her I hadn't got a flat in 2 years and I would play my odds. Then she offered me Gap insurance, told her "what do you think that 4g's I just put down was" my gap... Then I got the 2.99% rate for 3 years. She didn't look too happy ;-).

Old 08-23-2007, 10:08 AM
Simon UK
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like you had great service from your dealer in Allen. Interesting to note that anotherforum memberposted something yesterdaycriticising the same dealer and accusing them of holding their bike hostage.

I guess this is a good example that, when the service guys are busy, if you have a good relationship with them they'll try their best tofit you in but, if not, you'll just have to sit in line with everyone else (or behind everyone else, depending on how badyour relationship is). Same probably goes for every business the world over.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:19 AM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dallastx

Service plan: All maintance anything reguarding your bike is free for 3 years. $1700.00

Dallas, that is a lot of cash. Bring the bike over to my garage in Frisco sometime.Bring a Filter and 4 qts mobile 1 VTwin for about $45 from Walmart. You can service it yourself in 45 mins. All you have to do is buy the supplies and bring a 12 pack of Miller Lite. Later.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:50 AM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Simon UK

Looks like you had great service from your dealer in Allen. Interesting to note that anotherforum memberposted something yesterdaycriticising the same dealer and accusing them of holding their bike hostage.
This dealership is 5 miles from my house. I have never had a problem with service from them. However, just two weeks ago I was talking to the sales manager about a leftover 2007 Street Glide. I told them I would not pay their price. He made up some story about how they dont think they are going to have any touring bikes next year because HD was not going to ship them to them. BS! The guy told me HD bikesare "rare" so they now sell for atleast $2500 over MSRP. WTF! I didnt walk, I ran to the door! One more note for all the DFW locals, Longhorn HD in Grand Parie won the 2007 HD award for best customer serive and salesfor the Central area.

Quick Reply: Got a nail!