Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve train noise after top end rebuild.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2023, 07:38 PM
Garry Sr
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,081 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc1976x
So I was offered a refund if I ship the lifters back to Larry, although he believes I'm doing something wrong. I guess I'll be tearing the top end down again to change lifters and garentee everything gets sealed up properly. So my next question is which lifters to go with? S&S, Fueling? Factory?
I greatly appreciate everyone's participation so far.
I'd rather do it now than later. I hear S&S has good lifters but I've never used them.

Old 05-20-2023, 07:41 PM
OCSpringer
HDF Community Team
Received 748 Likes on 434 Posts

He believes I'm doing something wrong.
Not sure what that would be. It's pretty straightforward. Unless you are using heads that have been decked or you're changing head gasket thickeness I can't think of too much that would affect the pushrods otherwise.

Which lifters to go with? S&S, Fueling? Factory?
I used S&S on mine and all has been well with about 1500 miles so far.

Last edited by OCSpringer; 05-20-2023 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-20-2023, 07:52 PM
Doc1976x
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by OCSpringer
Not sure what that would be. It's pretty straightforward. Unless you are using heads that have been decked or you're chainging head gasket thickeness I can't think of too much that would affect the pushrods otherwise.
genuine James top end gasket kit, and the shop only took .003" off the heads to square them. He assured me it wouldn't affect being able to use factory valve train. I will look into the S&S. Thanks again.

Old 05-20-2023, 09:14 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,994 Likes on 1,358 Posts

So, there is no play (lash) in the front cylinder valve train? Only the rear, and both valves? Have you checked the front cylinder at compression TDC to see if there is play? Let it sit over night and check again? Seems very odd to have two bad lifters out of four, and both ended up on one cylinder.

John

Last edited by John Harper; 05-20-2023 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-20-2023, 09:33 PM
Doc1976x
Advanced

Originally Posted by John Harper
So, there is no play (lash) in the front cylinder valve train? Only the rear, and both valves? Have you checked the front cylinder at compression TDC to see if there is play? Let it sit over night and check again? Seems very odd to have two bad lifters out of four, and both ended up on one cylinder.

John
well if these are bad, it would actually be 3 out of 4 because I had to get a replacement for the one on the rear cylinder that stuck collasped. The front two have actually been sitting for over a week since i ran it, and i get no movement at all. Push rods will turn with needle nose pliers, I can't get my fingers in there to turn them by hand, but they seem a little tight.

Old 05-21-2023, 06:39 AM
Garry Sr
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,081 Likes on 781 Posts

You gave them a fair shot with the first lifter. That second lifter looked like they're using sponges for plunger springs.

The following users liked this post:
OCSpringer (05-21-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 10:26 AM
Doc1976x
Advanced

Update..........
took the top end back down to the heads again and checked over all the parts and reassembled. Still had the same results but i bit the bullet and decided to run it. This time i ran it with the valve covers off. To my surprise and relief all 4 lifters pumped up almost immediately and oil was flowing great after about 30 seconds. So I buttoned everything up and I'm pleased to say it's running beautifully and the lifters are nice and quiet.

Just wanted to be sure I wasn't leaving the impression that Larry's lifters were crap. They seem to be very nice. So just a few more things to address and I should be done. Thanks to everyone for their input, it's greatly appreciated.

The following users liked this post:
John Harper (06-02-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 12:15 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,994 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Congratulations!

John

Old 10-23-2023, 03:15 PM
OCSpringer
HDF Community Team
Received 748 Likes on 434 Posts

Not sure what that would be. It's pretty straightforward. Unless you are using heads that have been decked or you're changing head gasket thickeness I can't think of too much that would affect the pushrods otherwise.

I used S&S on mine and all has been well with about 1500 miles so far.
I jinxed myself. S&S lifter failed a couple hundred miles later. I am in the market for new lifters now but unsure what brand to go with. My thoughts was Johnson hayloft 2313SE. I remembered this thread and that is what Larry sells.

How have these been now that things got worked out? I was thinking about these or fueling lifters as at least you can talk to someone if they fail based on what I have heard from people. I tried to contact S&S and got nothing. They're under warranty but I can tell there will be no love.

Last edited by OCSpringer; 10-23-2023 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-23-2023, 03:49 PM
Doc1976x
Advanced

I jinxed myself. S&S lifter failed a couple hundred miles later. I am in the market for new lifters now but unsure what brand to go with. My thoughts was Johnson hayloft 2313SE. I remembered this thread and that is what Larry sells.

How have these been now that things got worked out? I was thinking about these or fueling lifters as at least you can talk to someone if they fail based on what I have heard from people. I tried to contact S&S and got nothing. They're under warranty but I can tell there will be no love.
I've got no complaints at all. I've only put limited miles on the bike, but all is good. Lifters still nice and quiet. I can hear the carb sucking air more than I can the lifters.

Quick Reply: Valve train noise after top end rebuild.