Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rush slip ons vs. Vance/Hines

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 10:27 AM
SemmesSporty
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rush slip ons vs. Vance/Hines

The stealship here in Mobile area says I can put the Rush slip ons my 07 Sporty without the remap or fuel pack. Has anyone else tried the Rush pipe. They sound good from the web site. The stealship says the VH"s will burn a hole in the piston and pop where as the Rush pipes won't. They said they have tried both.The Rush pipes and the SE"s are ok with out the fuel pack becase of the back pressure. I thought the oxygen sensor would adjust the fuel mix but they say it's the straight through back pressure or lack of it that causes problems with the new bikes.Give me some thoughts here.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:05 PM
ianchris1
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Rush slip ons vs. Vance/Hines

It depends on what size Rush you go with. I don't know everything about this stuff, but my RK got hot as the sun when I put some drag tips on there. If you went with the small Rush, you might be ok. As far as the V&H, that sounds like crap to me(what they told you). Just save the money and do it right. By the way, check out Hooker too. Loved them when I had my Sporty.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:08 PM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not quite the same, I suppose, but for what it's worth, hubby just had the Rush slip-ons put no his 22007 Night Train and did the whole 9 yards - dyna, speed commander (or something like that), etc. Cost an arm & a leg, but he feels at least he can say he did everything the dealer said, no warranty being voided issues, and no "gee, I guess I should have ....". And on that bike at least, man oh man do they sound great. So to see his jaw drop and the smile on his face when they pulled the bike out of the work area ... I guess it's worth it. And it's soooooooo sexy sounding now. Maybe NEXT year I'll do them on my Nightster if they have Rush pipes for it.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:51 PM
Britown
Novice

I put Rush slip-ons 2" baffles on my 1200N. When I bought them the dealer told me to just get the download which I did. While riding for a few days before the download was done I was getting some backfire. After download the backfire was gone. The only thing now is it runs a little rough at first untill it warms up, about a mile or so. I can't compare the sound to other slip-ons though. I know I love the sounds of these!

Old 08-22-2007, 03:33 PM
troutspinner
Advanced

I had the Rush slip-ons for about 2 weeks. They sounded so-so, definitely louder but not the sound I wanted. They also made the bike feel weaker, I believe they relieve too much back pressure. Here's food for thought, the reason they say you don't need anything else adjusted is because they don't do anything to begin with!

For the amount you will spend for the slip-ons you could go to a V&H Shortshots for just a little more. Going the route I did I wasted some cash but I guess I gained a little knowledge? Only a matter of a few beers til I kill that brain cell off.

troutspinner

Old 08-22-2007, 03:54 PM
sfs63
4th Gear

I have V&H Short Shot staggered on my 06 883r and they sound great. I don't think a company like V&H would build pipes that would hurt your motor.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:10 PM
daddycoolj
Cruiser

My wife and myself both have rush slip-ons on our sportsters and we think they are great. The sound is very good kinda loud but nothing like drag pipes or anything but man pull the one bolt outta the end of the muffler and remove the baffles and watch the neighbors start complaining LOL!! Been ridin without the baffles for the last 2 days and wow are they loud.

Old 08-24-2007, 03:02 AM
Simon UK
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: SemmesSporty

The stealship says the VH"s will burn a hole in the piston and pop
My dealership are supplying my new 883R with Vance & Hines slip-ons fitted. They told me the computer will take care of it and automatically sort itself out afterthe first few miles. No need to remap the computer or add a fueller for the V&H slip-ons. No mention of holed pistons.

There are quite a few people on this forum who are running (or have at some time) V&H slip-ons on otherwise stock EFI Sportsters without doing a remap. Remapping is apparently only required if you change the air cleaner. I haven't read any posts here from anyone who's had holed pistons because they ran Vance & Hines slip-ons.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:10 PM
joakim
Advanced

I did the A/C and an H-D remap (on a bike that already had the V&H slip-ons). Don't do it. After the remap the bike will run quirky, at least it did for me. Surging and jerkiness, not so much you can't ride it by any means, but enough to be annoying. The lower gears are no problem, 5th gear you really start to notice. It had all the signs of running lean. Had to flash the ECM back to stock and get the Fuelpak and all is well. Hopefully this can save someone else the trouble.

Old 12-08-2007, 06:28 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Went with V&H Myself with the SE Air Cleaner Carb Rejetted *45 and *180 waited for all the troubles was supposed to have and had none.. No Decel pop No Missing Nothing but a smooth start and ride all the way ...

Quick Reply: Rush slip ons vs. Vance/Hines