Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster Registration and Insurance Holder

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2023, 02:37 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,997 Likes on 2,551 Posts

The UK has a national database that contains all those that have insurance. ANPR can flag up a vehicle that is uninsured and untaxed. The police have access to that data.

I believe there is a connection to DVLA so it will also flag if the registered owner is banned from driving.

Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 04-17-2023 at 02:39 AM.
Old 04-17-2023, 02:56 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,996 Likes on 4,187 Posts

Originally Posted by wardsworld
I hate the fact that there is nowhere convenient to keep my registration and insurance info. on my Sportster. I have been keeping it in my tool pouch mounted low on the front of the frame but that is a p.i.a. to get access. I was looking for a solution to specifically mount on the rear of the backrest. but couldn't find anything bike oriented that was discreet or small enough to mount on the bike. All the HD pouches were way bigger than required for my needs. After Googling " small leather pouch" and viewing a bazillion images I found one from Ravenswood Leather. They specialize in cosplay uniforms and accessories. The one I ordered is well made and fits into the rear of my backrest perfectly. It has a locking button latch and ears that fold over under the flap to give it some degree of weather resistance. I measured and drilled out the rear of the pouch to accept the existing backrest pad screw and added a small piece of aluminum sheet metal to keep the pouch tight against the backrest so it wouldnt sag after time. I left about a half inch between the bottom of the pouch and the deck of the six pack rack and put a little loc-tite on the screw and mounted it. It fits perfectly between the backrest frame so it wont rotate off center.
I am not affiliated with this company in any way, they just had a quality product that, with a little modification works and I think looks good!
Maybe next I will get the full cosplay biker outfit to fit my registration pouch so I can be a real biker!

After

Cool job. Each state is different and many with outdated laws here. Always have wonder what happens if one in in another state that requires insurance info and you don't have it .

Obliviously, you need your DMV registration in most.

The following users liked this post:
wardsworld (04-20-2023)
Old 04-17-2023, 03:04 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member

Just a quick question and hopefully seen as a polite one, why did you have to quote the OP's post in full? Your comment alone would be obvious to what it refers.

Old 04-17-2023, 10:19 AM
OCSpringer
HDF Community Team
Received 739 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy
The UK has a national database that contains all those that have insurance. ANPR can flag up a vehicle that is uninsured and untaxed. The police have access to that data.

I believe there is a connection to DVLA so it will also flag if the registered owner is banned from driving.
The police here in the US can look up all that as well and I have been stopped without any license, regustration, or insurance and it was not a big deal. It seemed like he was able to look me up and tell I had a valid license and was insured and the bike was registered.

Old 04-17-2023, 10:25 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member

The point being you don't really need to carry anything.

Old 04-17-2023, 10:32 AM
OCSpringer
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy
The point being you don't really need to carry anything.
Well, I think legally you are required to have all that on you here and if you get the wrong cop they could make things difficult for you.

Old 04-17-2023, 10:34 AM
wardsworld
Intermediate
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RKZen
Very cool. I too use my wallet. Some of my riding buddies use the low-tech method. They just use a FedEx pouch and stick it in the inside if the side cover and put stuff in there. Out out-of-sight-out-of-mind.
Th e side cover is a good idea too. I didn't run across that in my quest for easy storage.

Last edited by wardsworld; 04-17-2023 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-17-2023, 10:37 AM
wardsworld
Intermediate

Originally Posted by OCSpringer
I found these license plate boxes somewhere online. They work really well but it took some modification to fit.

Those are interesting but I wanted to try to keep a stock look and with my plate on the back fender it would look too bulky and out of place. I never saw this before and for the right application looks like it would work well.

Old 04-17-2023, 10:39 AM
wardsworld
Intermediate

Originally Posted by OCSpringer
Well, I think legally you are required to have all that on you here and if you get the wrong cop they could make things difficult for you.
Here in MD they can write you a ticket if you can't produce it.

Old 04-17-2023, 10:54 AM
OCSpringer
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by wardsworld
Those are interesting but I wanted to try to keep a stock look and with my plate on the back fender it would look too bulky and out of place. I never saw this before and for the right application looks like it would work well.
In reality the main reason I added this was someone stole my license plate shortly after I bought the bike and with this setup you would need to get into the box to remove the plate. That was the second plate I had stolen. What I am told is they steal the plates and pop them on stolen bikes crossing the boarder before you have a chance to report the plate stolen.

The following users liked this post:
wardsworld (04-20-2023)

Quick Reply: Sportster Registration and Insurance Holder