Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery draining

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2023, 08:54 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,318 Likes on 1,837 Posts

Originally Posted by CipherViper
Found the issue after charging the battery and taking the multimeter. The battery with a full charger and sitting for 2 hours reads 13.95v so looks to be the stator.
Does it rev to 14.4 dc at battery? If not read AC from stator, I am guessing around 20 volts ac per 1000 rpm. If you get around 80 volts ac I probably would call it good.

Last edited by Rounders; 04-03-2023 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-03-2023, 09:21 PM
CipherViper
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah it revs to 14.4, sucks cause I replaced the stator in the beginning of august last year after it died but then again that’s the thing with these old evo sportsters; their stator are known for crapping out a lot and aside with leaking which thankfully I don’t have an issue with.

Old 04-03-2023, 09:26 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

If it revs to 14.4, why do you think it is charging system?

Old 04-04-2023, 02:03 AM
CipherViper
Advanced

Idk honestly what else could it be if the battery is holding its charge but dies after an hour ride, possibly the new LED headlight because I don’t have a module with a load equalizer???

Old 04-04-2023, 04:35 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,997 Likes on 2,551 Posts

You don't need a load equaliser for the headlamp. If you fitted one it would draw more current making your situation worse.

If you had an amp meter you could put that in circuit and see how much current is drawn by the headlamp.

Old 04-04-2023, 06:59 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

A head light should not kill a battery. I got all mine jacked up and passing lamps too, not LED. Next step is probably to measure AC from stator. This may or may not be easy. Some yerars have plug, which makes it easy. Some years wired to volt reg which can kinda PIA. I don't know what your year and bike have.

I'd charge. Disconnect battery for a few days,. then go for ride with the new radio off. Better yet pull fuse for it and disconnect.

I don't know how good this one is. But a DC clamp on will tell you if you have a draw. You should see it running off battery when idling and direction change when revved up.

You can also check amps into battery. Still doesn't mean volt reg is good. But if you got amps flowing stator is probably good. Turn all lights and stero see what its drawing. Put low charge battery in to see how much is coming from stator. Play with it. Write it down. Just to keep track for you.

I don't know if a cheap one has polarity. Don't know how accuarte.
https://www.harborfreight.com/digita...oaAq3sEALw_wcB

Old 04-04-2023, 07:39 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,415 Likes on 5,015 Posts

OP: How old is the battery?

Have you charged the battery and taken it to a shop or auto parts store, and had it load tested?

Have you inspected and cleaned all battery cable connection surfaces?

Follow the steps in the service manual to test the charging system.

Old 04-04-2023, 04:13 PM
soldierbot
Supporter
Received 103,693 Likes on 26,079 Posts

Enough with the the politics outside of the POD. This was very disrespectful to a member looking for help and assistance. Knock it off.

Last edited by soldierbot; 04-04-2023 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-04-2023, 07:08 PM
CipherViper
Advanced

From what a few buddies from the club said who put daymaker led headlights in their bikes it blew their stators and that’s what I installed and right after installing it I blew my stator, they told me I need a resistor or a load equalizer in the bike cause without it it’ll overload and burn out the stator.

Old 04-04-2023, 07:22 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

I would research that. I woould think a resistor would add load, increase current. But I am not positive how its used. But I am not sure about it saving your stator.

Maybe the daymakers dispite being LED draw a lot more power. And that could be issue.

But again I think you need to find out what your charging system is doing. Find out the spec for your bike, but I am guessing around 20volts AC per 1000 rpm. Rev it up until you see 80 volts AC, and I would call that most likely good.

If voltage at the battery stays around 14.4 DC when revved up, probably could. Of course you could have something loose internally that doesn't show in garage.

If that passes in the garage, I would put the old lights back on, and go for a ride. If it only happens with new lights, I believe they are to high of wattage. You could contact the company you bought them from. If some cheap chinese ones, I don't know what response you will get. Do they list the wattage? They should be able to provide that.

A DC clamp on can be handy when it is hard to find a spot to read AC. One of my bikes has a plug from the stator, but another the stator wires plug directly into the volt reg. PIA to get a reading. In that case a DC clamp can show you your stator is producing power. I would expect at idle power is coming from the battery, rev it up and hold it, and power should start going into your battery.

But if all this started after you added new headlights, I'd consider going back. I really doubt you damaged your stator. I suppose if the load was so great from the new lights it could burn it up.

I would check your system with and without new lights. Just unplug or pull fuse for lights then do it again with lights on. Right it down for your own memory. Maker chart with conditions and list. Memory can be funny.

Quick Reply: Battery draining