Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2023, 03:34 AM
Impalacustom
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need help!!!

I am working on my nephews bike that has been in an accident and I went to fit the rear fender and it doesn't fit the best at all. The rear struts are bent and I need a huge favor from anyone, I need the measurements show in the picture. The picture isn't mine it is one I grabbed to show what I need. This is a 2013 Iron and I can't find any measurements online. Any help would be appreciated. A is measured between the strut mounts where it's welded to the frame, B is between the two strut cover bolts on the front, C is between the two strut cover bolts on the rear and D is from the tire to the strut where the bullet taillight mounts.
Thank you

Old 03-04-2023, 04:33 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,996 Likes on 4,187 Posts

Can't help . Why can't you pick it up off the fender. Take a pull tape with a lock.

.Be sure the wheel is correct before depending on D.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 03-04-2023 at 04:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
John Harper (03-05-2023)
Old 03-05-2023, 09:34 AM
OCSpringer
HDF Community Team
Received 739 Likes on 428 Posts

What do you mean when you say it doesn't fit the best? If you mean the rear wheel is not centered in the fender that is just the way harleys are so you may be chasing a ghost. Many people complain about this. I thought mine were bent too when I replaced my rear fender only to learn my first leason of harley fit and finish...."well, that's close enough". Unless there are obvious signs of damage I would be willing to bet they are not bent. You should see how cockeyed my factory gas tank is. I had to buy an aftermarket tank to get a relatively straight one.

Last edited by OCSpringer; 03-05-2023 at 09:45 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by OCSpringer:
Impalacustom (03-06-2023), John Harper (03-05-2023), Rob Roy's Revenge (03-05-2023)
Old 03-05-2023, 11:08 PM
Impalacustom
6th Gear

Originally Posted by OCSpringer
What do you mean when you say it doesn't fit the best? If you mean the rear wheel is not centered in the fender that is just the way harleys are so you may be chasing a ghost. Many people complain about this. I thought mine were bent too when I replaced my rear fender only to learn my first leason of harley fit and finish...."well, that's close enough". Unless there are obvious signs of damage I would be willing to bet they are not bent. You should see how cockeyed my factory gas tank is. I had to buy an aftermarket tank to get a relatively straight one.
I guess I'm used to working on cars where if it's not good you work it until it is. I've always been told to "strive for perfection but to accept reality", I guess I'll have to measure and measure again and see where I come out. The wheel/tire isn't centered in the fender and I know it will drive me nuts looking at it but maybe as you say, "it's close enough". I think Jackie Paper might be right, I will just measure off the fender. Then I'll run some string lines and put a laser on the backbone and see where things come out. The tire is running true to the transmission because the belt is not angled or off at all, and the tire is wearing fine with no "scrub" marks on it.

Last edited by Impalacustom; 03-05-2023 at 11:10 PM.
Old 03-05-2023, 11:56 PM
OCSpringer
HDF Community Team

I'm a little ocd and the sportster took some getting used to in that regard but in almost 30 years of riding the Sportster really has become one of my favorite bikes. They really are great bikes. Very reliable, fun to ride, and easy to work on.

Last edited by OCSpringer; 03-05-2023 at 11:57 PM.
Old 03-06-2023, 05:37 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,997 Likes on 2,551 Posts

I would be more concerned about the bent struts.

I would put something down the spine of the frame and see what the measurement is to each side of the frame.

How bad was the accident? It seems reasonably big to bend those struts.

Old 03-06-2023, 09:36 AM
OCSpringer
HDF Community Team

Also notice the pic the OP is using for illustration was taken from somewhere else and no doubt someone asking the same question. In the pic the rear wheel is obviously not centered between the struts, but the struts are straight. Mine is exactly like the pic offset to the right. It's funny this came up because I had to remove my rear wheel over the weekend and was irritated by the fender. My tire almost rubs on the right side and has plenty of room to spare on the left.

Google "harley wheel not centered" and you will see countless threads on this. I am assuming they are all like this by design.

The easiest way to tell if they are bent is to fit the rear fender. If you can bolt it on they are not bent. In an accident, if one of the rear struts hit something and bent it would tweak the fender and likely not bend the other strut much if at all as the fender isn't very strong. Also I read those struts are cast. Not likely to bend. Break maybe.

Last edited by OCSpringer; 03-06-2023 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-06-2023, 09:49 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,997 Likes on 2,551 Posts

On my Superlow a quick measure in from the mudguard to the tyre, it is 1" on the left and 1 1/8" on the right.

The following users liked this post:
Impalacustom (03-07-2023)
Old 03-26-2023, 12:02 AM
Impalacustom
6th Gear

The easiest way to tell if they are bent is to fit the rear fender. If you can bolt it on they are not bent. In an accident, if one of the rear struts hit something and bent it would tweak the fender and likely not bend the other strut much if at all as the fender isn't very strong. Also I read those struts are cast. Not likely to bend. Break maybe.
Took the torch to them this morning and I got them back perfect, everything is centered and looks great. I can tell you 100% that in 2013 they are not cast. I thought they were forged by the forging mark on the top, casting marks are much thinner.

I want to thank everyone for advice and help.

Old 03-26-2023, 04:33 AM
David Earl Cox
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

"...only to learn my first leason of harley fit and finish...."well, that's close enough"

So the bike was in an accident and it's Harley's fault because their world class fit and finish isn't good enough?

Quick Reply: Need help!!!