Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange "Jingling Sound"...???

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 11:55 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Strange "Jingling Sound"...???

What nut connects the seat to the HANDLEBARS? My seat aned handlebars don't connect to each other...For me it was loose heat shields, and the cover on my ignition. Of course it was not a sporty... I also thought it was the little pea in my head at first...

Old 08-20-2007, 12:07 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: anubisss

What nut connects the seat to the HANDLEBARS? My seat aned handlebars don't connect to each other...For me it was loose heat shields, and the cover on my ignition. Of course it was not a sporty... I also thought it was the little pea in my head at first...
How do ya ride without a "NUT" connecting the seat to the handlebars??

Old 08-20-2007, 12:45 PM
TheKingsOutlaw
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may sound stupid, but I have noticed a "ringing" sometimes. It turned out to be the chain from my wallet tapping on the springs! LOL

TKO

Old 08-20-2007, 12:51 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

This could be a bit off base but since you've got a big ride comming up, have you checked the primary chain adjustment lately?

Old 08-20-2007, 12:59 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: cHarley

This could be a bit off base but since you've got a big ride comming up, have you checked the primary chain adjustment lately?
Not off base. I also considered that. I haven't checked it, but I adjusted it only about 2,500 miles ago. I'll probably do a tranny oil change before I head out to the HOG rally, so I can check it then. And the noise seems to be coming from in front of the primary chain.

Of course, it's difficult to narrow down exactly where a sound like that is coming from. If you've ever come up on a Rattlesnake in the woods, you'll know exactly what I mean there. Those suckers sound like they are surrounding you when they start that tail out in the woods.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:50 PM
Kolni
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Santa?

Old 08-20-2007, 01:59 PM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have aftermarket forward controls on mine.I can hear the brake pedal jingling around in its race. If you have forwards you may wanna look at them as well.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:55 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

ORIGINAL: SportyPig

ORIGINAL: cHarley

Not off base. I also considered that. I haven't checked it, but I adjusted it only about 2,500 miles ago. I'll probably do a tranny oil change before I head out to the HOG rally, so I can check it then. And the noise seems to be coming from in front of the primary chain.

Of course, it's difficult to narrow down exactly where a sound like that is coming from. If you've ever come up on a Rattlesnake in the woods, you'll know exactly what I mean there. Those suckers sound like they are surrounding you when they start that tail out in the woods.
Are you hearing it without the weenie shield installsed? The shields have a tendency to reflect sound up to the rider. Sounds like a good oportunity to try out some 75w-90 Gear Oil though if your're going to do a change, (not that that has anything to do with your noise problem).

Old 08-20-2007, 03:22 PM
ecvjohn
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Biker Trash

I have aftermarket forward controls on mine.I can hear the brake pedal jingling around in its race. If you have forwards you may wanna look at them as well.
I have the HD forwards and get the same sound.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:02 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member

Mid controls here.

And cHarley...you know me better than that. The weenie shield is ONLY for interstate travel.

This is freekin driving me nuts....I putted around for an hour or so today....can't locate this noise. It really is a jingle type of sound. Obviously something non-mechanical that is loose and just rattling around on the bike when it's in motion with the engine engaged. In other words, if I'm coasting, it's not present. And if I Rev the engine while it's stationary, NO jingle.

Quick Reply: Strange "Jingling Sound"...???