Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2022, 06:12 PM
boxxypanda
Stage III
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Flashing Engine Light

Please forgive if I’ve not posted to the correct sub. 2021 Iron 883. V&H short short shots, aftermarket breather with FP3. Originally installed everything and reflashed to the new appropriate map using the selected modifications. Everything worked flawlessly. Fast forward a few months and was receiving a code that I was running rich. Decided to use auto tune to see about fine tuning to rid the code. Bike was running as I entered autotune, but there was no connection between my phone and FP3. Turned bike off then back on and FP3 connected in app and requested a flash (flash of current map parameters) so I accepted and followed the prompts. When to turn bike back on and was met with a flashing engine light. Bike would turn over strongly, but not start. Tried to reflash map to original map then back to modified map with no success. Attempted to force update firmware and was told it was up to date. Deleted app and reinstalled then reflashed to stock with same issue. Deleted app and tried through android instead of my iPhone with same steps of flashing from stock to modified attempting to start in both settings with no luck. Deleted and reinstalled app on android with same reflashes and attempts in both maps with no luck. Went into diagnostic mode on bike and ECU reads N while BCM and Speedo read Y. Entered ECU and it reads NONE with a code of Pn that moves from right to left across the small digital screen. I’ve been spending all day reading forums with no solid solution one way or the other. Some suggest a new battery (of which after a bit it did start to click with no turnover as if the battery were low which I put a 2 amp trickle charger on and it’s back to turning over strongly with no start), others have said they’ve contacted V&H and they seemed as perplexed as I am. Being a Sunday I have reached out to V&H, but will have to wait until tomorrow as they’re outside of business hours currently. Any solutions? Thanks!

edit: also tried completely disconnecting the battery at both terminals and leaving for a few minutes before reattaching. Same blinking engine light with same ECM N result. Strong turnover with no actual start.

Old 08-22-2022, 04:13 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,004 Likes on 2,555 Posts

Fast forward a few months and was receiving a code that I was running rich.

...while BCM and Speedo read Y
​​​​​​​Lesson learnt I suspect but when things just happen in my opinion messing with the tune on the bike is probably not going to fix it or it will mask the real reason for the error.

Deleting apps from a phone I doubt has any meaning for an error on your bike.

You only looked at the error for the ECM and didn't repeat the process for the BCM and speedo. What are the codes form them? When you see BCM Y in speedo you need to hold the trip button in until it shows the BCM code and then do the same for the speedo.

Old 08-22-2022, 08:25 AM
boxxypanda
Stage III

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy
Lesson learnt I suspect but when things just happen in my opinion messing with the tune on the bike is probably not going to fix it or it will mask the real reason for the error.

Deleting apps from a phone I doubt has any meaning for an error on your bike.

You only looked at the error for the ECM and didn't repeat the process for the BCM and speedo. What are the codes form them? When you see BCM Y in speedo you need to hold the trip button in until it shows the BCM code and then do the same for the speedo.
I just wanted to make sure I was checking any potential option. Check codes for BCM and Speedo this morning and both present a single code of 00100. After the code I’m presented with End and then the part number. This is the same for both the BCM option and Speedo option. Cleared both codes, shut the bike off and turned back on and was still presented with the same flashing engine light. Thanks.

Last edited by boxxypanda; 08-22-2022 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-22-2022, 01:51 PM
boxxypanda
Stage III

Originally Posted by boxxypanda
I just wanted to make sure I was checking any potential option. Check codes for BCM and Speedo this morning and both present a single code of 00100. After the code I’m presented with End and then the part number. This is the same for both the BCM option and Speedo option. Cleared both codes, shut the bike off and turned back on and was still presented with the same flashing engine light. Thanks.
issues resolved. Called Vance & Hines and was able to verify the map I was attempting to flash to the bike was corrupt. They sent a new stock map over of which I flashed to the bike and it immediately corrected the issue.

The following 4 users liked this post by boxxypanda:
bdehlin (08-29-2022), Iron Horse 13 (08-23-2022), John Harper (08-22-2022), Rob Roy's Revenge (08-22-2022)