Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Narrowed it down to two Choices

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 06:29 PM
EntourageE
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Narrowed it down to two Choices

Narrowed it down to the 08 Nighster or an 07 Street Bob

Not the best deal on the Nightster - $11,300 OTD but I can keep the payments around $200 a month and maybe do some upgrading with the money left over
Price includes tax (7.25%), title, CA emissions and Registration, 1 YR HOG, 1,000 mile service

Or I can get a bare bones black 07 Street Bob for $14,800 OTD
price includes tax (7.25%), title CA emissions and Registration, security system, 1 yr HOG, no 1,000 mile service. Won't have any money left to do upgrades for probably atleast a year.

My wife wants to ride with me eventually on short rides but it will probably be about 2 years before she gets up the nerve (she gets scarred pretty easily, had a few bad accidents in her life that make her nervous)

I was originally sold on the Nightster but then got this good deal on the Bob (the other stealers in the area were quoting me anywhere from $16,400-$16,900 for the Street Bob. All my Harley riding friends and family are saying to go with the Dyna but I think they are also a little Sportster bias as they all own, Dynas or Softails except for my brother in law who had a 1200C for 2 years before upgrading to a springer.

Opinions appreciated. I'm at a loss but need to jump at the Bob deal if I'm gonna do that and put a $500 deposit down by tomorrow or I'll probably lose out on that deal as he only has two 2007s left.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:33 PM
EntourageE
Intermediate
Default RE: Narrowed it down to two Choices

Forgot to add my insurance quotes

Nightster - GEICO $321 per yr with $200 deductible

Street Bob- GEICO $956 per yr with $500 deductible

WOWWW.... that might be the decider. $80 bucks a freaking month for the street bob when it only costs $3K more, don't even mention Progressive, I about threw up when I saw that rate.

By the way I have no accidents in past 3 Years (1 - 4 years ago in my car) and have had my motorcycle license for about 6 years. Any insurance suggesstions for California.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:40 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Tough question. The insurance rate throws a wrench into the works. I was going to say go with the Street Bob but I'm not too sure now. I would sure invest more time in checking with various insurance companies on their rates.

As nice as the Nightster is, it's definetly a street bob type of bike and is only good for one up. If you ever plan on taking a passenger or plan on doing any travels you might consider looking at the 1200 C instead.

It's hard to cover all the bases with only one bike.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:41 PM
Solitaree1
Road Master

Forget the money aspect of it. GET WHAT YOU WANT. Ride both, buy the one that is more comfortable the one you are happier with. Buying an item of pleasure, as hard as it is to do, forget costs, as long as it's affordable, buy the one you WANT.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:28 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Very tough call, I think as solitaree1 says I would have to ride both then decide based on the gut feeling.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:42 PM
EntourageE
Intermediate

Here's the kicker. They won't let me ride em. Reason being that the sales manager says when people buy a new bike they only want a bike withless than 5miles and if they let people test them out they go over the 5 miles and then they don't sell as well. I think that's Bull&%^t, but whatever. He said they let people test ride models in their rental fleet but he has no Street Bobs or Nightsters in the fleet so I'm SOL.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:48 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Go slap $1000.00 cash on the table and say "I'm buyin one of em from you today after I take both for a short ride, or I'm taking my business elsewhere"

Old 08-14-2007, 07:53 PM
3power
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never thought I'd say this, but . . .get the Dyna.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:14 PM
smag
Advanced

Oh Jeez, negotiate on that Street Bob! St. Paul Harley was at $12,600 plus tax, doc, & lic on a 2007 black Street Bob when I was getting serious abouttwo months ago. I passed on it because I was looking at a used Low Rider; then I drove a Sportster and realized a Sportster is my belief of what a motorcycle REALLY is.

Please PLEASE negotiate like your wallet depends on it because it does. Every $1,000 you know off is found money. Those 2007's are getting discounted big time. I paid $9,250 for the $10,515 MSRP two tone wiht alloy wheel Sportster below.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:06 PM
kawsakimx6
Road Warrior

Do NOt go with Gieco, then you can have reasonable payments on the Ins

Quick Reply: Narrowed it down to two Choices