Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Narrowed it down to two Choices

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 09:56 PM
StrGlide
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Narrowed it down to two Choices

ORIGINAL: EntourageE

Here's the kicker. They won't let me ride em. Reason being that the sales manager says when people buy a new bike they only want a bike withless than 5miles and if they let people test them out they go over the 5 miles and then they don't sell as well. I think that's Bull&%^t, but whatever. He said they let people test ride models in their rental fleet but he has no Street Bobs or Nightsters in the fleet so I'm SOL.
That's what demo bikes are for. However renting them first is a great idea. That way you can spend a day with the bike going all over and get a real feel for it. A demo ride for 20 minutes doesn't tell you much at all.

IMHO, I would go for the Dyna Street Bob. First, it's a Big Twin. Second, it will hold it's value better because it's a Big Twin. Third, you'll probably be happier in the long run and as long as you are making payments, you should be happy with what you get.

I would shop for insurance elsewhere as the difference seems way too much.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:09 PM
hawaiibound
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I'll admit it... I was never a fan of the Nightster, but after seeing what HDK has done with his....all I can say is WOW! I don't like the way they look stock... but MAN thesecan beHOT bikes. https://www.hdforums.com/m_2030474/tm.htm

Old 08-15-2007, 11:40 PM
HighDesertKid
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

.... Wow Hawaii.... I am so not worthy.. But I do thank you.... You need to come by the store and say hi... It's pretty much like a clubhouse now anyway [8D]

Old 08-16-2007, 11:40 AM
EntourageE
Intermediate

Thanks everyone, going to take off work tomorrow and go pick up the Street Bob. Five hour drive so my buddy with a trailer is coming along to help me pick it up.
Here's another question somebody may be able to help me with. I live in California (Military stationed out here) but my state of Residency is South Dakota. All my current vehicles are registered in South Dakota.
What I want to do when I buy the bike is go ahead and include tax/title/reg in the financing but I want to Register in South Dakota so I can therefore pay South Dakota sales tax which is 3% instead of the 7.25% I'll be paying if I registered in California. Should the dealer be able to take care of all this for me or do you think there will be issues?

Old 08-16-2007, 12:02 PM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe what you have to do is calculate it all out so that you borrow the correct amount. Then pay the dealer for the bike and register it on your own using the remainder of hte money after buying the bike. tell em your residence is in SD and are going to register it at home. there should be no problem. just make sure you borrow the correct amount for tax, title and registration for your home state... then you will have to contact your SD dmv to complete the registration and pay tax.
Congrats on the Street Bob!!! In my opinion that is one of theonlynewer model bikes that HD got right the first time.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:19 PM
HighDesertKid
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The dealership can handle this, as long as you have a South Dakota address (physical can be different from mailing). If you live in CA and you buy abike out of state, you actually cannot register the bike in California until it has somewhere around 7500 miles (has to do with emission standards). We have people from CA buy bikes in Idaho all the time, but they have to be able to provide a physical address in Idaho at the time of signing.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:38 PM
Cabo
Road Captain

Congrats on the Street Bob.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:03 AM
niided
Advanced

Good choice! Bet you won't be getting much sleep tonite!