Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive Shocks Installed

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007 | 05:45 PM
Dr.Cool
|
Banned
Default Progressive Shocks Installed

Totally awesome mod. This ranks right up there with the feeling I got when the stage one was complete. These shocks rock.
I but 12" Heavy Duties on the back and new fork springs on the front.

Rear shocks.
I was told the the lightest setting on the heavy duty is the same setting as the middle setting on the non-heavy duty progressives. Considering my weight, I went with the heavy duty shcok. Over 220 lbs. I went with 12 inchers because I wanted slightly more travel. You cant tell the difference by looking at them. The shocks are wider than the stock harley shocks... adds a nice took to the back view of the bike. The ride is simply night and day compared to the stock shock. I feel the bumps buy my body doesnt take the bump like it did with the stock set. Big difference in lower back fatigue.

Front springs.
Simply phenomenal !!! This is a huge upgrade from the stock springs. There is give in the front end, but not as much as before. For instance, going down my driveway, when my front tire hit the road the front end would push down... now it doesnt. But when I brake the front end goes down according to the level of braking... heavy or soft. Of course this made cornering much better.

By doing both the front end and the back end, the ride is more stiff than before yet I dont take the abuse I did as before. Hard to explain it if you didnt get that last sentence but that is the best way I can describe it.

Jimmy

Old 08-14-2007 | 06:20 PM
richnmib
Cruiser
Default RE: Progressive Shocks Installed

Looks like I am now going to have to geta set of the rear shocks. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get them?

Old 08-14-2007 | 06:52 PM
deltasierra
Cruiser

Jim, Gladyou like the new shocks and springs. I stopped by around 6:15 or so to see if you were getting them installed but no one was around. Obviously they are on..lol..catch you later.

So what's the next mod?

Don

Old 08-14-2007 | 08:20 PM
Dr.Cool
|
Banned

here is where I got them... www.phatperformanceparts.com
Delta,, sorry I missed ya. We need to hook up.
My next mod is chrome.

Old 08-14-2007 | 08:57 PM
HDHornet
Road Warrior

I have the 11" heavey Duty, they are awesome.

Old 08-14-2007 | 09:52 PM
Dr.Cool
|
Banned

update:

2-up riding
is now like driving in heaven. What a difference, and she loves it. The bike handles the bump and dips and doesnt want to plow into them like before. I set kept the setting on the lowest notch and then drove for 10 miles. Then I set it on the second lowest notch and it was very cool.

Mustang seat.
The seat feels different, I believe it is not acting like a shock anymore and acting like a seat should... I have a mustang vintage.

Lower back pain
Much better. I can tell I am using different muscles in my back, but I can tell you that my lower back is much, much better.

Front Forks
With the changing of the springs, there is much less bounce. ALSO... my ride doesnt vibrate on the highway like it did before. Amazing, I was diggin it so much, I took over the highway and drove it like I owned it.

Here is the difference.
(For my Wisconsin Brothers) Hwy 100 from Greenfield to Layton, my stock shocks made my bike bounce around. I didnt know any differnt. Now its like driving on air.

Old 08-14-2007 | 11:18 PM
drum412
Road Captain

Dr.Cool, I hear ya about hwy 100.....but hey if you hit it south of layton you'll trully feel like your floating on air now that they're just finishing up the re-paving there finally. I just took a rollercoaster ride up 76th today from layton to oklahoma, felt like I was going off a jump at every bus stop landing, it's fun stuff, you should check it out!

Old 08-14-2007 | 11:42 PM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member

Yeah Both areas suck. Also running up I894 west/I43 south around the hwy 100 area is no picnik either. Good to hear they made a diff. I was just on Ebay scoping em out as well. I will probably invest in a set during the winter downtime.... You know Dec.-Feb

Old 08-14-2007 | 11:52 PM
freekdawg1200
Road Warrior

I just installed my 11.5 heavy duty shocks about two weeks ago.I'm about 220 and have them set on the second softest setting.It's a huge improvement over the stock shocks.After hearing about the front springs,it looks like I'm going to have to do them too!

Old 08-15-2007 | 01:11 AM
MikesDad
Cruiser

Front Forks
With the changing of the springs, there is much less bounce. ALSO... my ride doesnt vibrate on the highway like it did before. Amazing, I was diggin it so much, I took over the highway and drove it like I owned it.

I didnt even know they had springs. My front suspension isnt much better than the rear. What all is involved with modding them?

Quick Reply: Progressive Shocks Installed