Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trade the sportster in or keep it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 05:53 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: trade the sportster in or keep it?

Never... Never trade...

When it's all said and done, you are paying them to take your bike or car for that matter...

Sure it's easy, no hassles... but it really costs you...

We all make mistakes at some time or another when we buy something that is not sitting in front of our eyes... so buying a POS tank off ebay is something we all could have done... so I wouldn't let that bother me... well if you learned from it in the end...

If you like the bike... I'm sure spending the money to fix it right will cost you far less than the beating you'd take trading it in...

Charlie D.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:35 AM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ANYTIME you chose to use an aftermarket tank you should ALWAYS have the inside sealed and do it before painting. That way your new custom paint job won't get ruined.
I have a custom chrome tank on mine and I still had it sealed since I didn't wanna run into these same issues that you are having now.
Here in the Milwaukee area itcan be done for around$50. Way cheaper than having to buy a new tank later on down the road cause it's rusting from the inside out.
That said, don't trade the bike since you will be getting ramrodded on trade in value, just fix the tank or buy a new one and seal the inside this time!

Old 08-17-2007, 02:12 AM
niided
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 04 1200C and was having a hard time pulling the choke out, so sprayed the unit w/silicone spray and that freed it up real easy, but then had the same problem as you; the choke would not stay out. So now all I do is pull the **** out, then stick a clothes pin in between, once she's warmed up, take off the pin and she's good to go! I figure in a few months the silicone spray will wear off and it will all be back to normal.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:28 PM
fireman9513
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: cHarley

ORIGINAL: wbogley

Guys, Quick trip is a very big well know station around me as well. They alsoguaranty their gas in writing. If the gas is the problem, they will fix the bike.
http://www.quiktrip.com/gasoline/gasoline_about.asp

Is there any rust in the tank? I think that may be the problem. Has the bike been sitting for long periods before you got it?

I won't debate Quik-Trip's gas quality, it may be just fine, but since they are not an actual fuel co. ie. exxon, shell, mobil, texaco, bp etc. who knows from station to station where their gas comes from. Quaker State offers a written guarantee with their oil products also, but I wouldn't put that crap in my lawn mower. Been there, done that in the 70's.

Around here all the gas is supplied from a distribution center that covers all of eastern NC and part of western NC.
The gas is all the same! Local dealer where I live owns shell and chevron stations, and supplies mom and pops!
His tanker pulls up, driver punches a code into computer, if hes getting gas for chevron he puts that code in and the additives for chevron are added as the gas is put into the tanker.
Same for shell, etc. etc. etc.
now Im sure the mom and pops dont get all the fancy additives, but around here its all the same gas.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:46 AM
evilscotsman
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post