Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trade the sportster in or keep it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 09:48 AM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: trade the sportster in or keep it?

Guys, Quick trip is a very big well know station around me as well. They alsoguaranty their gas in writing. If the gas is the problem, they will fix the bike.
http://www.quiktrip.com/gasoline/gasoline_about.asp

Is there any rust in the tank? I think that may be the problem. Has the bike been sitting for long periods before you got it?

Old 08-14-2007, 09:58 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is the debris in the tank from the inner tank sealer coming off or the crappy gas your putting in? You say they painted your tank, so have them fix it again if it is bubbling, and have the inside of the tank addressed if that is the cause of the debris.

Not sure why you would still owe $7400 on a 2002, even if you bought it used from a dealer this year.....I think you have been taken advantage of and this dealer is going to continue to take advantage of you. I'd have the tank issue addressedby them this last time,( flushed, resealed, and re-painted), and inform them that they will be paying an Indy of your choice to perform the work if this happens again. There is a lemon law you know.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:00 AM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A friend of mine has the same tank as you. He bought it used and had it cleaned out and sealcoated by a local radiator shop. It cost him less than $100 bucks to have that done. Try that and i'm surethat will fix that problem.
As for the choke pull sucking back in.... Mine was doing that for a minute after I installed my stretched tank. Try to tighten the plastic retainer directly behind the plunger in front of the actual bracket. be careful as this is plastic and will crack easily. I just got mine as tight as I coulf with my fingers. You could try using a pliers but again be careful as these do crack. Anyhow that seemed to work for me.
Gasoline.... I have heard good and bad about Quick trip. I guess it depends where their gas is coming from but I doubt that is your issue. I have run Quick trip gas in mine in a pinch and I only saw a minimal loss in fuel economy from the Shell I usually use but never had any issues with it running any worse....
E.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:46 AM
1200c
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's up to you. If you are unable or unwilling to deal with the problem, then sell the bike. I personally wouldn't trade it in because you won't get much for it.

It seems that particular gas tank has been a pain ever since you bought it. I think I would get a new gas tank instead of trading/selling the bike. You also will need to clean the fuel system real well before you install the new tank.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:08 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

ORIGINAL: wbogley

Guys, Quick trip is a very big well know station around me as well. They alsoguaranty their gas in writing. If the gas is the problem, they will fix the bike.
http://www.quiktrip.com/gasoline/gasoline_about.asp

Is there any rust in the tank? I think that may be the problem. Has the bike been sitting for long periods before you got it?

I won't debate Quik-Trip's gas quality, it may be just fine, but since they are not an actual fuel co. ie. exxon, shell, mobil, texaco, bp etc. who knows from station to station where their gas comes from. Quaker State offers a written guarantee with their oil products also, but I wouldn't put that crap in my lawn mower. Been there, done that in the 70's.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:34 PM
cws176
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well 3 months ago they found alot of debris from the fuel liner from the inside tank. They had it in a ziplocked bag and showed it to me and there was alot of it. Service manager says this will fix the problem that your having but for an X-Number of months it might return which it has today. So I managed to drive the 24 mile journey to the stealership and thankfully it didnt stall once; I asked them to clean the system and tank to see if they can find more crap in the tank. I also while I was there got a quote on a new tank and thats only $385 for a new tank (primed). I will probably just get a new tank and it should solve everything

Old 08-14-2007, 02:42 PM
Superstylin
Cruiser

Isn't that the same crappy tank you bought off ebay and then proceeded to blame hd for all the broblems? Forgive me if I'm wrong, but you are that same guy aren't you?

Old 08-14-2007, 02:54 PM
rob i
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

yup. he is the very same.

CWS- buy the new tank. Keep the bike, and enjoy the ride.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:54 PM
cws176
Cruiser

yes thats me. I guess its a lesson learned isnt it

Old 08-14-2007, 03:02 PM
Superstylin
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: rob i

yup. he is the very same.

CWS- buy the new tank. Keep the bike, and enjoy the ride.

He's right dude - get the new tank already!

Quick Reply: trade the sportster in or keep it?