Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 hugger simplify wiring nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2022 | 12:53 AM
dong.hunglo
|
1st Gear
Default 03 hugger simplify wiring nightmare

Well I started popping fuses on the freeway and a friend suggest I redo the wire harness because I had a brand new one
but now I want to simplify it
what can I eliminate and what should I keep on there

Old 04-13-2022 | 08:27 AM
templeofdank
Tourer

This is a vague question. What functions do you want to keep? What do you want to get rid of? Not much wiring you can get rid of without getting rid of functions. Want blinkers gone? Boom, that's a big chunk of the wiring diagram. Want starter button gone? Boom get a manual solenoid plunger and boom start button is gone, combined with blinker delete you're looking at no handlebar pods. Maybe the "Sportster Treatment" wiring harness is your ticket, Lowbrow sells them.

Throwing a new wiring harness at an undiagnosed electrical issue is not a guaranteed solve. Solve the fuse popping issue, then address wiring. If your system is blowing through multiple fuses at a time, you should do some digging into your charging circuit. Rectifier could be failing and outputting more than the ~14.5Vdc that it should be at most putting out. Or perhaps you've got some bad grounds and your system is overloading.

The following users liked this post:
eighteight (04-13-2022)
Old 04-13-2022 | 09:12 AM
eighteight
Seasoned HDF Member

^ Well said.
TNX

Old 04-16-2022 | 08:28 PM
dong.hunglo
|
1st Gear

I want to keep the voes I got the direct starter button on the way but how do I wire up the voes ?
pretty much just runnin headlight and tail light and voes also.. what do I run my cam sensor too?

Old 04-16-2022 | 08:29 PM
dong.hunglo
|
1st Gear
Default And mystery hose

When I was tearing the wires out of my bike I noticed a hose up underneath my seat on the backside of my oil tank where does that go

Old 04-18-2022 | 08:41 AM
LocoLocal
Tourer

This is the best guide I have found: http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12086. I used this for my 02 and have done basically what you're looking to do - kept voes, headlight, brake light. I also kept my starter as a key but relocated it.

For the hose, I can't say I know exactly what you're talking about. Can you post pictures?

Old 04-18-2022 | 09:01 AM
templeofdank
Tourer

Originally Posted by dong.hunglo
I want to keep the voes I got the direct starter button on the way but how do I wire up the voes ?
pretty much just runnin headlight and tail light and voes also.. what do I run my cam sensor too?
VOES has 2 wires: black (ground) and violet/white (signal wire to timing plate/ign module)

I recommend you google search a wiring diagram so you see how it is supposed to work if this is confusing.

When I was tearing the wires out of my bike I noticed a hose up underneath my seat on the backside of my oil tank where does that go
Pictures would help. Trace the hose to its source to figure out where it's coming from. Sounds like the transmission vent tube to me, but could also be the fuel tank evap/vent line. Again, pictures are helpful.

Old 04-18-2022 | 10:40 PM
dong.hunglo
|
1st Gear

I’ll take pics
but the two wire I have are green and solid purple I really don’t want to go yo mechanic cuz they quoted it to be atleast 2000 dollars

Old 04-19-2022 | 08:34 AM
templeofdank
Tourer

I’ll take pics
but the two wire I have are green and solid purple I really don’t want to go yo mechanic cuz they quoted it to be atleast 2000 dollars
Read up on the work you're trying to do, otherwise you'll need to take it to the mechanic. Wiring diagram is here: https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....88adb9bcd!!1!6 (scroll up the list to find the sportster diagrams, make sure you select the non-1200S diagram. 883/1200 diagrams are the same.

Where are you finding the green and solid purple wires? Those aren't the stock wires for the VOES. Maybe your VOES is a replacement and the wires off the VOES are different, but the stock loom wires VOES connects to are Black, and White/Violet. Either way, your VOES needs to have 1 wire that goes to the nose cone ignition module, and 1 wire that goes to ground.

Old 04-19-2022 | 09:49 PM
TexasScooterTrash
Stellar HDF Member

All of us here on the Forum are here to help ya out, given good information. Do something for yourself. Get a Factory Service Manual and read it. Best thing to do is FIND THE PROBLEM before ya hack everything up. The problem isn't the wire harness. It's something grounding out. Start with what stopped working, lights - check wires for shorts. Just go through it from the fuse block to the item that does not work. Chances are, when ya find the culprit ans repair it, everything will work without blowing fuses.