Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

detachable sideplate installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 07:49 PM
Hamperdiver
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default detachable sideplate installation

For those of you who have the detachable sideplates for your backrests: is the installation easier, harder or the same as that of the rigid sideplates? I'm not worried about doing it, I'm just trying to get a sense ofhow much time and energy I'm going to have to put into this project.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:06 PM
ecvjohn
Banned
Default RE: detachable sideplate installation

The same, at least it was for me.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:56 PM
tplyons
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dealer did 'em for me, but I did 'em with my dad on his Sporty. Not difficult at all.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:04 PM
smag
Advanced

I just put one on for the first time a week ago. Just follow the instructions. The hardest part was getting the rear inside nut brackets lined up with the longer bolts for the sideplates. You have to squeeze your fingers inbetween the rim and the tire and get it in place just so with a couple of fingers while pressing hard on the bolt and turning it to get itto start in the thread. I must have spent20 minutes on the rear right one butthe rear left one only took a couple of minutes. I was swearing that they had sent me too short a bolt but it all worked out. Worksgreat. Those detachables really come off slick. Save your old bolts and the boxes for the new one. When you sell your Harley you won't get much for the add-ons. Sell the backrest onebay and it willbring more if you have everything for it I noticed most sellers are selling them without the $35 parts for attachment; presumably because they tossed their old bolts when they switched.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:11 PM
HarleyScuba
Grand HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

For the detachable, you mount the "docking hardware" to the fender struts of the bike with through-bolts into the fender. The rigid plates mount with through bolts also, but the side plates must be carefully slid between the fender struts and fender (use blue painter's tape to protect your paint in a manner that allows you to remove the tape afterwards). I think it's easier to mount the docking hardware. The real question is, do you want to be able to remove the sissy bar and exchange it for a solo rack or a clean rear end? Or, do you want it on there all the time?
The detachables cost a few bucks more, but they're worth it for the flexibility.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:39 PM
Hamperdiver
Cruiser

I already have the detachable ones...I want to be able to remove them since I prefer the clean look. I'm sure it won't be a problem...I just wanted to see how much of a headache it was going to be since time is an issue lately. If I don't have to worry about using painters tape I guess that will make it a little less annoying. Hopefully I'll get it done tomorrow.

Old 08-11-2007, 03:38 AM
AKsavage
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get 'r done. I had no problems, installed at the same time as my bobtail fender.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:08 AM
rbcss
Tourer

should be the same. the only thing I did was jacked the bike up a little to get my hand in between the tire and the fender, but all in all a piece of cake