Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Practicing with my Sportster

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 04:12 PM
Urban Coyote
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Practicing with my Sportster

Please tell me if this sounds like "normal" operation for my ‘07 883 Custom. I never rode before and I was practicing riding in a small parking area.

It appears that when I put my bike in 1st gear it almost wants to do at least 5 mph and I actually have to ride my brakes just so I can keep my bike at a slower speed while I’m riding around the parking area.
In 1st gear, the bike seems very shaky until I get to about 10 mph and it rides smoother. I tried switching to 2nd gear, but at the lower 5-7 mph I was riding, it felt sluggish, so I downshifted back to 1st. In the small area I had to practice in, I couldn't really get the bike over 10 mph.

Front and rear brakes seem to work good and I’m learning to coordinate my right hand and right foot to apply even front and rear brake pressure I just have this bad habit right now of opening the throttle with my right hand rather than applying the brake. I blame my right hand, it gets confused LOL, so I will have to very quick get that hand coordination down along with getting that proper speed for a nice smooth turn.

I know most here say the 883 lacks power compared to a 1200, but I just gave my bike a little throttle and as my body jerked back in my seat itFELT like I could of gone from 5 mph to 55 in a few seconds, so as a beginner I’m very much cool with the 883. [sm=smiley1.gif]

I haven't even got the bike out on the rode yet and it is a veryintimidating, yet fun learningexperience for me.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:21 PM
StrGlide
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Practicing with my Sportster

Keep a couple of fingers on the clutch. At real low speeds Harleys will do just what you say. When that happens, pull in the clutch to help smooth it some. It's just a matter of becoming familiar with the power delivery and riding in general. It's also part of the learning experience. In time you should be handling the controls without really thinking about it.

Welcome to the motorcycling experience!

Old 08-10-2007, 04:30 PM
1200c
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In 1st gear, the bike seems very shaky until I get to about 10 mph and it rides smoother. I tried switching to 2nd gear, but at the lower 5-7 mph I was riding, it felt sluggish, so I downshifted back to 1st. In the small area I had to practice in, I couldn't really get the bike over 10 mph.
That's normal. You shouldn't do that on a sportster. You are lugging the motor like that. For slow speed manuvers you will need to use the clutch.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:32 PM
Cabo
Road Captain

Yeah...what he said. You'll want to feather that clutch in and out to help adjust your speed.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:35 PM
ironhorselady
Road Master

If you've driven a manual transmission in a car all your life like me, it's always been pounded into your head not to ride the clutch. It's hard to adjust to opposite thinking on a bike, but do it. All the time. Ride that clutch. That friction zone is your best friend at slow speeds.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:41 PM
russellabjr
Cruiser

when using the clutch and brake, espically if you are a new rider, use all 4 fingers. keep it in the friction zone and you'll be a pro at slow speeds in no time.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:45 PM
smag
Advanced

Have you taken a motorcycle safety class? Nothing helps like having a knowing instructor helping you learn how to control a motorcycle. There isn't much difference when it comes to the mechanical aspects and proper and safe operation.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:46 PM
kawsakimx6
Road Warrior

don't go 5 mph......go much faster! LOL no what they said

Old 08-10-2007, 05:14 PM
evilscotsman
Road Warrior

If at all possible, take the motorcycle rider's safety course. Call your local BMV for details on locations and class schedules. In the class they'll teach you to use the friction zone as mentioned in a previous post. You'll come out of there with skills that would otherwise take you a few years develop. Ride safe.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:17 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Brakes should be applied 70% front and 30% rear - NOT "even front and rear brake pressure"!

Take the MSF course. You will be VERY glad and surprised at what you'll learn - then continuously practice what you learn there. It will all become second nature with time...

Quick Reply: Practicing with my Sportster