Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just back from Sturgis

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 08:02 AM
rijrnnr
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Just back from Sturgis

Actually it was on my best friend (who organized the trip) who recommended the Mustang seat. While they had the "whole collection", the seat I really wanted was sold out, as was my second choice.
Cost for a two peice seat was $450.00. I have no doubts you could shop around on the internet and find it cheaper, but at that time it was a must have, not a want to have issue. While not the "highest priced" seat combo, it was also not the lower dollar one.

The seat I bought actually raised me up about 2" to 3", which turned out to be great for me. "Just as important" (don't tell the missus), it looks great on the bike.

The factory grips will eventually be replaced. While leather half gloves really helped prevent some of the hand pain I have experienced over the few months I had this bike, I really want to find a set of better looking, and more comfortable grips.

Highway pegs will also get added eventually. My nephew and his wife took the Sportster from Rapid City down to Mt. Rushmore, we followed in the PT Cruiser. I noticed at times he stretched his legs out by letting his ankles rest on the forward control foot pegs. It worked really well on the ride home, but think the highway pegs would be icing on the cake.

Oh by the way, my MP3 player on hook over the ears headphones did just fine. While definately not like listening to the stereo in the car, it was great to have 18 hours worth of different music, put it on shuffle, and enjoy the ride. Another item that worked real well was my Camelbak water pack on the longer rides.
For those interested, the bikes rode up were a Road King, a Honda Magna, and my 1200 Custom. Don't knock the metric, its a great bike, and really fits the guy riding it. He has however said he wants to trade his Vulcan and get the Sportster just like mine.

Don't be all that concerned on taking a longer ride. If your new at it, just plan on stopping every 1 to 2 hours to stretch the legs, get some water back in the body, and get out of the sun for a few. I think the next trip I take up there will be at the end of the rally. The prices drop as vendor as trying to get rid of things, and from what my nephew told me, the scenic rides are pretty much deserted.

IF you plan atrip, do so early. Hotel/Motel reservations are a must if you are traveling that way, even on the return trip. From what they told us, most hotels will be booked up a month before the rally.

Thanks for the interest and the comments on the post. I know there are tons of veteran riders on here probably chuckling at some of what is written. Well, at least now I can say, been there, done that, and have the T-shirt...(actually a couple of them).

Old 08-10-2007, 08:03 AM
smag
Advanced

Great info in your post. Thanks. I have never been there and wondered what I was missing. Now I am thinking I am not missing much.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:10 AM
smag
Advanced

Can't seem to get this signature right........

Old 08-10-2007, 08:53 AM
rijrnnr
Intermediate

smaq...
It is pretty awesome in seeing somewhere around a quarter million of motorcycles packed into a small portion of the U.S. There are some totally awesome bikes up there, both professionally made, and some that were just private owners making their own.

It was worth the trip just to hit some of the unique riding there. While there was some very scantly clad women, (I have never seen women riding in bikinis before) it was not as prevelant as some would have you believe. Of course, alot is where you go. If thats your thing I am sure its not hard to find. Being happily married, and with kids, I did enjoy many of the "sights", but was mostly up there just for the riding, and a chance to check out some of the customization options.
I will try and figure out how to post pictures on here, or at least get some on the internet photo places where you can check them out.

I am glad I went, and would go back again, but with a lot more of a plan as to what I want to do, and want to see. The Crazy Horse memorial is supposed to have an excellent lazer light show, but with the limited time, we did not get to see it. Rushmore was extremely nice. That, combined with the rides through some of the Canyons and through the Blackhills made the trip very much worth it.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:56 AM
riverman
Cruiser

You know, Sturgis is what it is. I returned home last Monday from my second stugis run. We went out the week before and left there last Sunday (the day before the official beginning of the rally). We stayed in a B&B in Deadwood (Brown Rocks B&B, excellent place to stay). Sure there are too many t-shirt venders and not enough parts vendors, but unless I had specific parts I was looking for (like a seat) I doubt if I would randomly go around and spend much on parts after laying down 2K or so to spend the week there.

I also have a big ol fat Mustang seat on my sporty that I obtained off the internet and it is by far the best bike investment I have ever made.

As for the rally, being from Missouri I seldom get the chance to ride the mountians so that is a big treat for me when I am in SD. I have been to Montana as suggested above and I agree there is some great riding there too. But riding the Black Hills is a treat. On one of our day trips we went back down the other side of Rapid City and rode the Badlands loop. If you have never done that, it is something you do not want to miss next time. It is like riding the moon, except with buffalo.

Probably the biggest kick for me is the sensory thrill of having thousands of bikes, mostly harleys, gathered in one place. Day-to-day I might get together with 2 or 3 bikes for a ride, most of the time I am solo. From time to time there will be some kind of poker run where there might be a few hundred bikes. But in the Sturgis rally is thick with bikes and that by itself is worth the trip for me.

There are places you can go if naked people are your thing. Two years ago we camped at Glenco and it was one big drunken bike orgy for the whole week; and I understand that Buffalo Chip is even more so. But you don't have to be a part of that if you do not want to.

We rode about 800 miles of day trips this time with Spearfish Canyon, while short, probably being the prettiest most relaxing ride. Before I headed to Sturgis I converted my 883 to 1200 for the added torque demanded bythe Needles and Iron Mountian roads. Those are two of the coolest and most challenging runs I have ever seen.

It just depends on what a person likes. I have a friend who spent last week following pros around a golf course at a PGAtour stop; and he loved it. If a personwants to hang out in the shade and not have to deal with too many people spending their vacationat the lake might be a good choice. But if you want to hang out with 400,000 or so people that can relate to the thrill youexperience fromblasting down the highway at 80 with a v-twin thumping under your butt, I don't know of anyplace other than Sturgis you can do that.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2473/7014C1022D404600B9D734249680E3A0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-11-2007, 10:03 AM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These stories make what going to Sturgis is all about.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:57 AM
rijrnnr
Intermediate

Riverman, the Needles is a great run! We actually finished up our day runs with that ride, and it was a blast.

You are so right about matching locations with what you are up there for. I enoyed seeing all the bikes on main street, and the variety was never ending.

As my nephew lives in Rapid City, our cost was actually pretty negligible all things considered. Probably the thing that put a damper on our trip was having to have a bearing and hub replaced on the PT Cruiser. It pretty much took one day out of our already short visit, and added quite a bit of stress to what was supposed to be a relaxing 5 day jaunt.

The folks we rode with approached us with staying another day to compensate. As I had the week off, it worked well in the long run.

Talked to my brother last night (my nephew's dad), and he wants to go up next year. I think the two couples we went up with also want to return. I would love to do it. Really want to make the trek to Devil's Tower as a day trip. I missed out on the Spearfish Canyon run, and had that on the list of things to do.

Montana is definately a place I want to go riding. I've been through the state a few times in cars, and want to hit it on the bike at least once. I also want to ride the Grand Staircase Escalante in Utah on the bike. Was a great ride in the PT four years ago, and told the wife I would love to drive it on the bike.

The closest Missouri really has to the Black Hills rides would be one of the scenic river byways down in the Current River, Jacks Fork, Eleven Pt River area. I may have a chance to ride it this fall, and hopefully catch it during the fall colors.