Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Estimate on the wrecked Nightster

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 10:39 AM
Road Head
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Estimate on the wrecked Nightster

Did that total it or they are fixing it for that price? My damages were about the same. Insurance gave me $6100 to fix, but that exceeds 75% of the value, so they gave me $8400 for it totaled. I bought it back for $2500 salvage and that left roughly $4800 to fix it after deductible. TN doesn't do salvage title on scoots.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:56 AM
Simon UK
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am surprised the insurance company haven't written it off as a total loss. My insurance company has just done that with my 883R and I am pretty sure the damage was nowhere near as severe as that to your Nightster.

Hope you're back up and running soon. Sounds like you plan to make the most of the need to rebuild by getting stuff coloured and customised while you're at it.

Old 08-10-2007, 03:17 PM
Tiggeresq
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The insurance company doesn't write the estimate. The "offer" from the insurance companyis based on the estimate, not a low ball attempt.

Old 08-10-2007, 03:50 PM
F1J1
Tourer

That's right; the "offer" will come if the company deems the machine a total loss. Then you can negotiate a price. Recent maintenance, add ons, and such enhance your ability to obtain a higher settlement. You can use ebay and other venues for determining pricing in your favor. I.E., demonstrate to the claims rep that a Nightster with X amount of mileage, goodies and in excellent condition sold for X amount of dollars, etc. You just have to do the homework....

Old 08-10-2007, 03:59 PM
Nightster007
Intermediate

The low ball comes from their attempt to pay $6100 versus totalling it out at the 13K he obviously has invested in it. What is going to benefit bhtx more down the road if he sells the bike, a motorcycle that has been crashed and took $6100 to fix, which may have a bent frame ( you'll never really know until it's back together and riding it, and then try getting a replacement from the insurer) or a total new bike replacement? By the way, often WHO does the estimate and WHAT is used are dictated by the insurer.

ORIGINAL: Tiggeresq

The insurance company doesn't write the estimate. The "offer" from the insurance companyis based on the estimate, not a low ball attempt.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:12 PM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to hear about this. I am glad you are ok!! I would ask the insurance company to total it out and get a new one. If there is any chance the frame took damage I would try to get them to junk it. I had a car that I hit a curb with and the dealer fixed it. It was never the same car, it was still a hair out of spec. It would chew up tires and not turn correrct.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:40 PM
bhtx
Tourer

The estimate that I got was from the guy at the Harley Dealership. I asked him to call me and let me know also. I haven't heard from the ins. adjuster yet as to what they are going to dowith that estimate.

So from what you guys are saying....if they do total it I need tohagle a better price. If they don't total it, I should get the check myself and do my own work?

Old 08-10-2007, 07:08 PM
AzDon
Tourer

I recently went thru this with my frame-off restored chevy pickup. An old lady hit my son head-on and the details of the accident were not in dispute.
Basically, Insurance companies will insist on fixing the damage any way they see fit if replacement is too costly an option. If they go this route, it will be fixed as economically as possible without regard for the true quality of the result and you will be labeled as petty when the fairly good looking repair doesn't meet your standards AND even it it's right, it's a bike that's been wrecked when you go to sell it.
If they total it, you are not out of line to insist on a replacement. Because it is a new model, new bike, with low miles, you should have to make up VERY LITTLE of a price difference to get a new one, and that is what you should negotiate hard for!
If you've got the extra cash and would also enjoy the challenge of repairing the wreck, then inquire about acquiring the salvage, but you are probably not going to like the price.
It's possible that an insurance company is likely to prefer "total loss" on a motorcycle as a strategy of containing possible safety issues with the repairs. They might be able to get 6 grand for the salvage after making you whole and avoid all responsibility for the eventually repaired bike and this would be smart for them to do!
Basically they will offer only two doors. Either:A) they will oversee repairs and expect you to be happy with the results or B) total loss buyout. I'm not sure an adjuster is even able to give you an amount of money to take your wrecked vehicle and go away! There is too much potential for continued liability if they did that.

Old 09-03-2007, 01:16 PM
rx3732
Advanced

So what's the latest? You back on the road?

Old 09-03-2007, 01:38 PM
mr.hammond
Road Captain

yeah where ya been?have'nt seen you online lately.

Quick Reply: Estimate on the wrecked Nightster