Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tell me about this Sportster (Iron Head)

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2021, 07:31 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,320 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Originally Posted by stratplexi
i didn’t realize you had to have the frame S/N to have a Harley title. Is that the reasoning? Good to know and may prevent me from buying something like this.
Aftermarket frames are Always titled "special construction" or "home built" if you like..
Only Harley VIN numbers on the neck of the frame, post 1970, get Harley titles...pre 1970 Harleys had No Frame VIN, the Engine was the Titled component!!! Odd as it seems.
At least in the States (this is Federal Law)
Anybody says otherwise is blowing smoke up yer pooper!!! Look it Up...

Old 11-17-2021, 08:01 PM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,083 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by Racepres
Aftermarket frames are Always titled "special construction" or "home built" if you like..
Only Harley VIN numbers on the neck of the frame, post 1970, get Harley titles...pre 1970 Harleys had No Frame VIN, the Engine was the Titled component!!! Odd as it seems.
At least in the States (this is Federal Law)
Anybody says otherwise is blowing smoke up yer pooper!!! Look it Up...
Copy…thanks for the info.

Old 11-17-2021, 08:07 PM
Y2K
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,289 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Originally Posted by Garage Queen Rescue
That’s pretty cool, my only question would be why does it need its own fire extinguisher?
Looks like a remote oil filter to me.Edit,wrong side sorry.

Last edited by Y2K; 11-17-2021 at 08:10 PM.
Old 11-17-2021, 09:01 PM
TexasScooterTrash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,365 Likes on 836 Posts

Another one, falling in love with a fugley hacked up Ironhead Sportster. Ya just don't know what yer missing. Look at the tips of the exhaust pipes . . . .perfectly clean LAF pipes that will KILL ALL low end torque. Look at the awkward riding position . . . just a fancy bar hopper that says IT'S ALL ABOUT ME!

My Choice - an unmolested close to original.

Old 11-18-2021, 05:03 AM
LoneWoolf
Stellar HDF Member
Received 714 Likes on 488 Posts

I lie the BMW paint job.

Old 11-18-2021, 07:57 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,320 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasScooterTrash
Another one, falling in love with a fugley hacked up Ironhead Sportster. Ya just don't know what yer missing. Look at the tips of the exhaust pipes . . . .perfectly clean LAF pipes that will KILL ALL low end torque. Look at the awkward riding position . . . just a fancy bar hopper that says IT'S ALL ABOUT ME!

Clean 1974.. based on the Kayaba front end..(I like 'em)
I do Not prefer Drag Pipes on My Ironhead...only the Sound... None Like it....Maybe excepting a Knucklehead..
I also like Stock

Old 11-18-2021, 04:18 PM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by TexasScooterTrash

I get it and your Iron Head is a beauty for sure…but I have 2 other bikes for any type of riding I want to do. The appeal of the Iron Head above is the looks and simplicity. I can only assume it would have tons of character and the ride would be a raw and rowdy experience. There is a mechanical beauty in that engine and how it is the centerpiece of the bike. I disagree that for me it would say “ITS ALL ABOUT ME”. Not every modified bike is to draw attention to the owner and it’s really presumptive to think it. Not sure how one can be so certain of someone’s motives or character without ever meeting them. Folks could say the same about you…your custom paint job and loud pipes is just a way of saying ITS ALL ABOUT ME. Anyway, back on topic….

I have 2 beautiful bikes already but neither have the raw aggressiveness of this one. Whoever put it together has a great eye for design. It very well may be a show bike. Not every show bike needs to be a bagger with 30” front wheel or an all original pan or knuckle.

Last edited by stratplexi; 11-18-2021 at 07:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Racepres (11-18-2021)
Old 11-18-2021, 04:30 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,354 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by stratplexi
...snip...
I have 2 beautiful bikes already but neither have the raw aggressiveness of this one.
So just for clarification purposes, the pictures you posted are just of a bike you like.
They are NOT of an actual bike that you have found that is for sale ? right ?

So this thread is kind of like 'wishful thinking' or an example of what you would like
to buy that is already built? or are YOU planning to to build this yourself ?

thanks,

T.

Old 11-18-2021, 07:21 PM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by WKNDS
So just for clarification purposes, the pictures you posted are just of a bike you like.
They are NOT of an actual bike that you have found that is for sale ? right ?

So this thread is kind of like 'wishful thinking' or an example of what you would like
to buy that is already built? or are YOU planning to to build this yourself ?

thanks,

T.
Not my bike…just found the pics and thought some fine folks here could enlighten me on the build. I am planning on getting another Sportster but will be keeping both of my current bikes (see my signature line). I have owned 3 prior Sportsters and always enjoyed them (as a second bike) for solo, after work, short rides. Anyway, in trying to decide what model to pursue and looking at pics, I have run across some really cool bikes including the Iron Head above. It got me thinking about perhaps an Iron Head and specifically one similar to the above. Not sure I want to build one but I am retiring in a few years so that might be something to consider. I would not want to chop up a nice original one though…would either buy a basket case or one that is already chopped to some degree.

i have no experience with Iron Heads but a buddy of mine has a 73…nearly all original. One thing I can say about it is that it sounds glorious…he is running straight pipes.

The following users liked this post:
Racepres (11-18-2021)