Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Manual

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2021, 03:23 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,877 Likes on 19,350 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Roy's Revenge
H-D may provide free parts catalogues as a free download, but so does the likes of Carl Salter as one of the illegal sites that supply them as free downloads too.
... and your point is ??

Old 10-23-2021, 06:00 PM
calileo
Cruiser
Veteran: Navy
Received 128 Likes on 62 Posts

Check Craigslist. I found a service manual a couple years ago for $40.

Old 10-23-2021, 06:14 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,415 Likes on 5,015 Posts

H-D may provide free parts catalogues as a free download, but so does the likes of Carl Salter as one of the illegal sites that supply them as free downloads too.
Harley has every right to give their product away as they see fit.

Carl Salter (I`m sure that is a real person) has no legal right to distribute any copyrighted HD material.

People will jump to buy this counterfeit $**** so they can save a dollar, but they wouldn`t be happy if their employers product was ripped off by some sleaze outfit and sold for pennies on the dollar...

If nobody bought the counterfeiters shoddy products it would hurt them in their pockets and they'd soon go out of business.

Harley-Davidson spend many millions of dollars in research and development and every genuine H-D product you buy is guaranteed to be fit for purpose, The counterfeiters steal H-D's ideas and churn out cheaply made copies with no guarantee whatsoever.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 10-23-2021 at 06:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rob Roy's Revenge (10-24-2021)
Old 10-24-2021, 03:51 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,997 Likes on 2,551 Posts

It is true I don't know if HD is going after copyright infringement.

About the subscription. I came across a 'tube video where the guy showed he had to enter a fake European address in order that he could view the service manual for a period of time.

Home | Harley-Davidson SIP - REGISTER FOR ACCESS

Old 10-24-2021, 09:58 AM
Rob Roy's Revenge
Road Warrior
Received 1,084 Likes on 618 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
... and your point is ??
​​​​​​My point is that H-D have every right to give away free parts catalogues for their machines, but the likes of Carl Salter doesn't, he's pirating H-D's copyrighted products.

H-D have changed their hardware part number format, they've done that to make it more difficult for owners to cross reference the H-D hardware sizes so that they buy them at their local hardware store at a realistic price. The stock H-D hardware is made from recycled cheese and the heads chew up at the first sight of a wrench.

Old 10-24-2021, 10:04 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,997 Likes on 2,551 Posts

The stock H-D hardware is made from recycled cheese and the heads chew up at the first sight of a wrench.
I have read this kind of a comment about another manufacturer. What transpires is only a very small number actually have a problem using ill fitting tools. You know the sort who can't tell the difference between 25 and 27 for example!

Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 10-24-2021 at 12:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
kre84u (10-24-2021)
Old 10-24-2021, 10:07 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,877 Likes on 19,350 Posts

"H-D have changed their hardware part number format, they've done that to make it more difficult for owners to cross reference the H-D hardware sizes so that they buy them at their local hardware store at a realistic price" ... ... and this has what to do with the topic at hand ??? NOTHING

Old 10-24-2021, 10:56 AM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,785 Likes on 1,610 Posts

​​​​​​H-D have changed their hardware part number format, they've done that to make it more difficult for owners to cross reference the H-D hardware sizes so that they buy them at their local hardware store at a realistic price.
The hardware part number format has been the same for years. If you want to buy hardware from your local hardware store, HD provides a description of each piece of hardware.

Below is an example from the 2021 Touring hardware list available for free at HD's SIP.

Old 10-24-2021, 02:32 PM
Rob Roy's Revenge
Road Warrior
Received 1,084 Likes on 618 Posts

Thanks for your reply, unfortunately here in the UK 95% of the hardware stores only stock metric fasteners, the old British BSW, BSF, Cycle and BA threads are difficult to get hold of these days never mind your American UNC and UNF threads.

If we can manage to get hold of American threads, they are in standard lengths, not the 1-11/16" or 39/64" or even 2-5/8", those are only available from H-D stealerships and I refuse to buy their over priced garbage hardware that's produced in Thailand.

I've found there are a lot of negative replies on this forum by arrogant aging Americans with their heads up their own *****, I don't suffer fools gladly so this is my last post on this forum.

Good Bye.

Old 10-24-2021, 03:38 PM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,785 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Thanks for your reply, unfortunately here in the UK 95% of the hardware stores only stock metric fasteners, the old British BSW, BSF, Cycle and BA threads are difficult to get hold of these days never mind your American UNC and UNF threads.

If we can manage to get hold of American threads, they are in standard lengths, not the 1-11/16" or 39/64" or even 2-5/8", those are only available from H-D stealerships and I refuse to buy their over priced garbage hardware that's produced in Thailand.

I've found there are a lot of negative replies on this forum by arrogant aging Americans with their heads up their own *****, I don't suffer fools gladly so this is my last post on this forum.

Good Bye.
So why the negativity towards HD? They are providing the specifics for their hardware. If you can't source it locally, that's the MOCO's fault?

Oh yeah,
Bu Bye.

Quick Reply: Service Manual