Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie Seeking Guidance?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 05:56 PM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Newbie Seeking Guidance?

Ride the Kaw and the Sporty.

Tom

Old 08-08-2007, 05:56 PM
HighDesertKid
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As a "reformed" owner of metrics myself, I can honestly say that the 1200N is more fun than any comparably priced metric. I had a '99 Yamaha V-Star that was a damn good bike. I know what you are referring to when you mention the smoothness of the ride on a metric. I can also say that my 1200 would literally blow the side panels off of the Yamaha 1100. The engine is soooo much more torquey and powerful. With a few modifications, the Nightster can be made reasonably comfortable.... I stress the word "reasonably."Then again, if I wanted comfort... I could buy a used Ultra or other touring class bike.... Not for me. I have never had more fun on a bike than I am having on my 1200N... And yes, it is a Harley Davidson. Your family has it right... because Harley is all about: family, friends,fun... and all that b.s. [8D] Don't do the metric thing again... You will regret it.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:57 PM
EntourageE
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All, thanks for the responses so far. I'm really trying to talk myself into the Harley. Financially the Kawasaki or other Metric just makes sense, cheaper insurance, cheaper payments. But I'm one of those guys too that justs finds something almost mythical about Harleys. Its got to be watching thousands of them roll by in groups growing up.
The only reason I was looking new rather that used is the upgrades Harley has made lately. Rubber engine mounts to the sportsters, fuel injection, if you upgrade to a larger line, the new 96 cu in in the softails or dynas. Currently my wife says she won't be going with me much because she doesn't trust me since I haven't ridden since 2005, she's kinda a worrier. So it will probably be a solid year of riding before I'll even get her to jump on the back with me.
I love the Softails (all of them) and I also like the Street Bob, but their is just something about the bobber style and the simplicity bad *** look of the Nighster that I just really like.
I'll keep listening for more advice. My wife says I always overthink and overanalyze everthing (must be the engineer in me) but I have to do it now as well.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:13 PM
Kolni
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: EntourageE

I'll keep listening for more advice. My wife says I always overthink and overanalyze everthing (must be the engineer in me) but I have to do it now as well.
I spent over 2 months researching befoire I bought mine

Old 08-08-2007, 06:33 PM
EntourageE
Intermediate

I drive my wife crazy with my researching, I've already spent about 3 months looking at various bikes and doing research online. The hard thing is I'm kinda in the middle of nowhere and have to drive a couple hours to test anything out. My next step hopefully is to go test drive a few different bikes if the dealers have them in stock. I'm waiting for Harley Dealer to get back to me on coming and riding a nighster. The Kawa dealer has plenty of bikes in. Locally we only have a Honda place.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:34 PM
Kolni
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

BTW, ask for a military discount.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:48 PM
HuronBob
Cruiser

I had ridden since I was 15, that was about 44 years ago, never owned a Harley... This year I walked into the dealer and bought a new Sportster...

There is absolutly nothing like sitting on that bike and cruising the twisties.......

Of course, now I'm hooked big time....

Old 08-08-2007, 08:31 PM
rwjjr
Tourer

Ive seen a cuple of 06 street bobs selling in the 10k range over the last few weeks,check those out

Old 08-08-2007, 10:59 PM
Evilengineer
Intermediate

If you are honestly worried about size and want to carry a passenger, skip the sporty and look at the metrics. I love my Sportster to death for what it is, but my body is up to handling the abuse it will dish out. Yamaha will have a FI Road Star and 900 V Stars coming out this year. For the money those cannot be beat. I can also go on and on about other metrics that may be better suited for you too. The fact is that the metrics are built here in the US, the companies pay their workers US dollars, and most of the time they are better quality bikes. The only thing that is different from the Harley and the Jap bikes is that the Jap bikes are immitations of the Harleys and the Japanese cannot figure out some very important details. I guess the cars you own and drive will tell you where you stand.