Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

adjusting for loud pipe and free breathing

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2021, 10:34 AM
Acedoc
Tourer
Received 188 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy
In the UK the DynoJet Power Vision attracts a stupidly high markup compared to the prices paid in America. If prices were similar I would recommend it straight away. I would also recommend it if you are planning on getting more bikes in the future.

The lowest cost DIY tuner for just a stage 1 is the FP3 here in the UK. There is plug in units that fool the ECM and other piggy back solutions but I don't think they offer anywhere near the flexibility of the PV or FP3.

PV is very powerful. It is a professional unit. FP3 can get the job done but it can be very laborious using a phone to enter data. Both come with starting maps for a lot of different hardware solutions so that makes the initial flash very quick and easy.

You have Warr's in Battersea or Eltham and Lind in Watford or Newmarket to go the HD route or use their services.

You might also want to give Hilltop Motorcycles a call to discuss their solution - Hilltop Motorcycles Ltd 01455 610721
I would also recommend the FP3 ! If you run into issues with the map V&H has a very fast turn around time.
the only thing i would add is that try to find a air filter with an EBS and don’t go for straight pipes if you like the low and mid end power. My bike rarely sees the top of the rev range and I like the low and mid end grunt!

The following users liked this post:
JRider1807 (09-23-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 12:32 PM
SumpMagnet
Novice
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL ..I haven't even started to scratch the tip of the pipe question!

I have a real aversion to pipes with the heatshields....really like the look of drag-pipes.... but I also live in London and like my neighbours......

If I could TIG weld.....I would serioulsy consider just making my own! Pipes I understand work well for what I want, don;t look how I want..while the pipes I love the look of are either ear bleedingly loud, or working better at high revs.

Old 09-22-2021, 12:54 PM
Acedoc
Tourer

Look at patriot exhausts - a cursory glance made it seem sans a heat shield.

Old 09-22-2021, 03:11 PM
Rob Roy's Revenge
Road Warrior
Received 1,084 Likes on 618 Posts

Are you looking for a full two into one exhaust system, here is a video about the DanMoto Highwayman exhaust, it's also available in black.

Old 09-23-2021, 05:08 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,997 Likes on 2,551 Posts

LOL ..I haven't even started to scratch the tip of the pipe question!
A dealer doesn't have a tune for a stock bike so you are somewhat stuck with the notion you have to go for a stage 1 type upgrade. Having now had the time to do some research this is not the case.

My recommendation is to get a tuner so you can fix the lean running now with your stock hardware. With the tuner you will be able to fix any idiosyncrasies and tweak as required. As you upgrade hardware you will have the tools to make the changes the EFI system might need.
​​​​​​​
really like the look of drag-pipes
Which is the last thing you need for low down torque for town riding.

​​​​​​​working better at high revs
​​​​​​​Seems like you already know.

Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 09-23-2021 at 05:15 AM.
Old 09-23-2021, 06:31 AM
benjamin lorenzo
Tourer
Received 125 Likes on 92 Posts

I've been getting by pretty good with my fuel Moto micro they worked with me for a couple of maps You can individually tune it or adjust it to your liking if you know what you're doing and when I brought my bike to a tuner to have it professionally tuned he said he could work with that unit. I kind of want to try the FP3 but I swear there's as many bad reviews as are good reviews people are frustrated with the tuning process.
Were they doing it wrong or they just babies or is the FP3 actually a decent unit? Yes I know there's other threads on the FP3 they're pretty old and like I said a lot of people are complaining about it.

Old 09-23-2021, 06:43 AM
Acedoc
Tourer

For the basic DIY enthusiast or one without access the the PV - the FP3 is a good unit.
as for the cribbing- I have started to feel it’s basic human nature to crib. Someone somewhere will have a different outlook and different set of requirements needing a different solution. The key is discerning what works for you and your requirements. I am satisfied with the FP3 at present.