Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering a Sportster??? I know, I know...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 07:41 PM
Nutsnbolts
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering a Sportster??? I know, I know...

Alright, my wife and I (qthiggins) are semi new to the HD Forums. My wife has a 04 Sportster XL 883. She isn't too crazy about the seat height. She's 5'4". I have a 07 Street bob. She likes the height of my bike. I know the easy answer is to get her a street bob, but she really likes her bike.

Here's my question and my point. What are some good shocks to lower the *** end of her sporty? At least 2 inches. We've browsed around and found some pretty expensive stuff. Like I said, we're pretty new, here. First Harley's for each of us. Mind you, we're in the Marines... That's why we are sort of concerned about the price of things...

Honestly, I don't care what it costs... That's what gets us in trouble, but nonetheless, any good info would be great!! We don't really know where to look online, and that may be half the problem or if there is a sponser on the HD Forums, that would be even better. Better we support our local brothers and sisters than some anonymous nobody. But if nobody is the way it needs to be.... Fine.

Thanks, all

Nutsnbolts and Qthiggins

Mark and Heather

Old 08-08-2007, 07:51 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Lowering a Sportster??? I know, I know...

Several options. There are lowering shocks, lowering brackets, smaller seats, etc. Most people do a combination of adding the shocks and seat. You could use the Progressive 11" shocks or Lick's 10" shock's. I have no experience with the Progressive's, but I understand they are very good. I have the Lick's shocks. These are the lowest shocks you can get, butit will be more like riding a hardtail due to the stiffer springs. Someone will chime in on the Progressive's. You could buy the thinner/lower seat ormodifyher stock seat. I suggest you use the search function and debate how you want to go about it. It has been discussed repeatedly, (Just about every couple days).

Old 08-08-2007, 11:11 AM
lilredchic
Tourer

progressive 11" shocks and a narrowerseat. Even though the pro 11's are shorter then stock I think they ride better then the stock.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:07 PM
Mystic
Cruiser

I put the Progressive 11" 412's on the rear and also the Progressive front lowering kit.&nbsp\\; I also added a Corbin Close Gunfighter.&nbsp\\; I can flatfoot it easily and I'm just over 5'1".&nbsp\\; I would think&nbsp\\;that both the seat and the shocks lowered me at least 2"

P.S.&nbsp\\; This fine bike is FOR SALE!!