Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to locate bag

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2021, 11:02 AM
kre84u
Tourer
Received 111 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Where to locate bag

Hi! I'm about to trade my old 883 for a new Iron 1200, and I'm planning my accoutrement. I have three bags, and I want to keep the storage capacity.
The bag on my forks, under my light I think I'll replace with a second swingarm bag. But the one on my handlebars, I'm scratching my head over. It's what I use to store my phone and wallet while I'm riding. (Ask me why I don't keep them in my pockets anymore ;-) ).

The 1200's peanut tank will make it impossible to place it on the bars where I currently have it. I'm thinking of attaching it to the left side of the handlebars, just above the lower bend. Could go inline or rotate 90 degrees to keep it level. I don't really like either of these choices. Is there some sort of attachment for a pillion seat, maybe? Or, somehow hang it from the driver seat? I can't figure where else to put a bag.

I could put it on the forks, but I'd like to keep the profile clean. Who has solved this problem already?

Thanks!

Old 09-14-2021, 10:13 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Have you considered a small "trunk" bag? A buddy has a solo rack and uses on of these. as his trunk. Not sure if H-D still makes them but something similar might due.

I use one of H-D's day bags for my King instead of going in-and-out of the saddlebags.

Old 09-14-2021, 10:38 AM
kre84u
Tourer

Thanks for the ideas. I'm thinking about fashioning a plastic bracket I can attach to the underside of my seat to hang a handlebar bag to the left side. I want something small and unobtrusive.

Old 09-14-2021, 11:48 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,169 Posts

I have a swing arm bag I normally use on my Custom, but have thought about something like this. A bit pricey but another idea.

Old 09-14-2021, 11:58 AM
kre84u
Tourer

Originally Posted by RKZen
I have a swing arm bag I normally use on my Custom, but have thought about something like this. A bit pricey but another idea.
I've got a swingarm bag on the left side, too. I have a bag on my forks, and I want to replace that (holds rain gear) with a swingarm bag on the right. But the problem is that I have a handlebar bag that gives me quick access to phone, wallet & similar items, and it won't go on the bars with the new bike. So my goal is to relocate that bag. I'm leaning toward hanging it from under the seat. But that will require fashioning a plastic or metal bracket. No big deal. Just time consuming.

When I first got my sporty a few years ago, I loaded it up with saddlebags and junk on the handlebars. I've been paring it back ever since. I love the profile of the Iron 1200 so much, I really don't want anything gaudy standing out.

Old 09-14-2021, 12:41 PM
Richris1
Intermediate
Received 55 Likes on 20 Posts

I personally like the clean look of the bike as is, but like the look of a swing arm bag as well. I have a a small tool bag that I thought about attaching but never did. Like you… I just want to throw my keys, cell phone, glasses, etc.… In a convenient place. I found that the swingarm bag with the buckles/latches etc.… It’s kind of inconvenient if I wanted to reach something while sitting on the bike. I know this is not a favorite of most… But it works for me.

The following users liked this post:
kre84u (09-14-2021)
Old 09-14-2021, 01:26 PM
kre84u
Tourer

Originally Posted by Richris1
I personally like the clean look of the bike as is, but like the look of a swing arm bag as well. I have a a small tool bag that I thought about attaching but never did. Like you… I just want to throw my keys, cell phone, glasses, etc.… In a convenient place. I found that the swingarm bag with the buckles/latches etc.… It’s kind of inconvenient if I wanted to reach something while sitting on the bike. I know this is not a favorite of most… But it works for me.
Interesting! I mentioned the problem to my friend a few minutes ago. We were both looking at the bike, and I was showing him how I wanted to attach a bracket to my seat, and he asked why I didn't just drill holes in the battery cover. Problem solved. If I buy an extra cover for later trade or resale, that would be perfectly located.

Cut the two slots and slide the strap through. Easy, peasy.

Old 09-14-2021, 09:07 PM
TexasScooterTrash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,395 Likes on 855 Posts

Swingarm Bag . . . I thought that was a purse for lip stick and smokes. LMFAO MAN UP, get some leather throw over saddle bags.

Fiachra (09-15-2021)
Old 09-14-2021, 09:55 PM
Old_Bikes
Club Member
Received 221 Likes on 144 Posts

How easy does that side cover pop off? On bikes I have, if I hung a bag off there it would pull the cover off.

kre84u (09-15-2021)
Old 09-15-2021, 01:29 PM
kre84u
Tourer

Originally Posted by Old_Bikes
How easy does that side cover pop off? On bikes I have, if I hung a bag off there it would pull the cover off.
I didn’t realize that was a common complaint. I thought mine was a one-off. Has the community come up with solutions?

Quick Reply: Where to locate bag