Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how long can you take it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 12:47 PM
Nightster007
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: how long can you take it?

My last HOG was a 2006 ElectraGlide Classic. Don't get me wrong. Anything with two wheels and a motor is great. Hell, down in Costa Rica I must have put 75 miles on a little POS scooter and had a blast. I rode 200 miles thisSaturday on my Nightster. My **** was sore. Nothing that an hour rest couldn't fix, but the sunburn really tired me out. The biggest difference between 200 miles on my Nightster or 200 miles on the Classic was that I was having way more fun on the Nightster, and wanted to keep going. Too much comfort dulls down the ride, and takes away from the motorcycling experience for me. The radio on the Classic was pretty cool. All that being said, the two bikes you are looking into will be pretty similar in riding experience. Both fun, and your **** will hurt on both after a long ride. Have fun.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:04 PM
3power
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: whaap

I don't think we ride for different reasons. I just think that if some people don't have their air ride and stereos with intercom hook ups they feel that they're suffering a hardship. I'm sorry it bothers you that I have no difficulty with the stock seat.
lol . . I didn't say that it bothered me that you have no difficulty with the stock seat. Sorry if you perceived my statement as such. But, I still hold that folks ride for different reasons - no doubt about it. Some ride to get an adreneline rush in the twisties, some like to log as many miles as possible, some enjoy just a stroll on the boulevard. Some enjoy riding alone, while others enjoy riding in a group, and others with just a close friend or two. Some ride to relieve a day's stress and some ride to save on gas. The list goes on. But I still think that anyone who rides would rather have a comfortable seat than one that hurts . .

Old 08-07-2007, 01:04 PM
LANGeek
Advanced

I have been to Florida and back (MD) with no issues. I have a stock seat andno wind sheild. 4 or 5 hours isn't too bad.

I don't think the Dyna line adds that much more comfort. To real get a comfy long hualer you need to look at the touring bikes. The Road King, Road Glide, and the others.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:37 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: LANGeek

I have been to Florida and back (MD) with no issues. I have a stock seat andno wind sheild. 4 or 5 hours isn't too bad.

I don't think the Dyna line adds that much more comfort. To real get a comfy long hualer you need to look at the touring bikes. The Road King, Road Glide, and the others.
Having experience with all the bikes you mentioned, I'd have to say the following...

The only thing I noticed with my 1200C was the slightly 'choppy feeling' due to the shorter wheelbase and smaller 39mm tubes. After the extended 41mm WideGlide front end was installed onmy 1200C, I found the ride to be as good (if not better) than on my Dyna WideGlide.

So unless you ride 2-up for the most part, there isn't a huge advantage in ride comfort going from a Sportster to a Dyna.

I noticed a big difference in long range ride comfort between my Dyna and my Softail (FatBoy). The FatBoy, with it's wide front tire and low seat height/center of gravity just feels much more stable and comfortable. It is my main choice for anything from 'running around the neighbor' to cruising across country.

My Road King is much heavier than my Softail, and is an excellent choice if 90%+ of your riding is cross country travel or riding 2-up. It's very comfortable, but not nearly as nimble as my Softail (or the Sportsters) when zipping around town.

All Harley's are great in their own way, and some are just better than others when it comes to certain riding conditions.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:37 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: SportyPig

ORIGINAL: crock921

like a couple other guys have said, my fiancee has said she will never ride on the bike, so I am looking for a 1 person seat..i like the nightster seat a lot, it just seems stiff

I rarely have a passenger, but one thing you might consider is the seat can carry items other than people. When on a long trip, I have one bag on my luggage rack, and another bag on the passenger seat. So, the seat allows me to carry more stuff for the trip,and the bag on the passenger seat serves as a nice back rest.
You can still do that with a solo seat too. My bike has a solo seat with a fender bib and sissy bar. I can strap a bag to the sissy bar and let it rest on the fender bib or I can bolt my luggage rack to the sissy bar and strap a bag on it like I did for the iron butt ride.Shoot if I wanted I could do both and have 2 bags strapped on. I also have saddlebags so yea you can still use a solo seat and still have plenty of storage options.
I have a much taller and cooler looking sissy bar coming soon so I could probably even stack 2 bags on top of each other ifI had too.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:41 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: 3power

I don't think we ride for different reasons. I just think that if some people don't have their air ride and stereos with intercom hook ups they feel that they're suffering a hardship. I'm sorry it bothers you that I have no difficulty with the stock seat.
lol . . I didn't say that it bothered me that you have no difficulty with the stock seat. Sorry if you perceived my statement as such. But, I still hold that folks ride for different reasons - no doubt about it. Some ride to get an adreneline rush in the twisties, some like to log as many miles as possible, some enjoy just a stroll on the boulevard. Some enjoy riding alone, while others enjoy riding in a group, and others with just a close friend or two. Some ride to relieve a day's stress and some ride to save on gas. The list goes on. But I still think that anyone who rides would rather have a comfortable seat than one that hurts . .
I can agree with what you say. I guess I'm just lucky that mine doesn't hurt.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:45 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I can see what Whaap is saying. Some guy was complaining on a ride I did that he was gonna have a rough time because his cd player and GPS were not working. He couldn't believe I was going to do the ride on my Sportster. What a wuss.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:58 PM
crock921
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: OldFenderGuy

ORIGINAL: LANGeek

I have been to Florida and back (MD) with no issues. I have a stock seat and no wind sheild. 4 or 5 hours isn't too bad.

Having experience with all the bikes you mentioned, I'd have to say the following...

The only thing I noticed with my 1200C was the slightly 'choppy feeling' due to the shorter wheelbase and smaller 39mm tubes. After the extended 41mm WideGlide front end was installed on my 1200C, I found the ride to be as good (if not better) than on my Dyna WideGlide.

So unless you ride 2-up for the most part, there isn't a huge advantage in ride comfort going from a Sportster to a Dyna.

I noticed a big difference in long range ride comfort between my Dyna and my Softail (FatBoy). The FatBoy, with it's wide front tire and low seat height/center of gravity just feels much more stable and comfortable. It is my main choice for anything from 'running around the neighbor' to cruising across country.

My Road King is much heavier than my Softail, and is an excellent choice if 90%+ of your riding is cross country travel or riding 2-up. It's very comfortable, but not nearly as nimble as my Softail (or the Sportsters) when zipping around town.

All Harley's are great in their own way, and some are just better than others when it comes to certain riding conditions.

I wonder if the fat Bob will give me the comfort you are talking about because of the low seat and fat front tire.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:49 PM
norgepa
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Sundowner seat and it makes for a comfortable ride single or two up. I just got back from the Seaway Trail , Lake Erie -Niagra - Lake Ontario. Camped out at Cayuga Lake, (Finger Lake area).
Total miles 586 miles. Worst part was sleeping on the ground without a pad roll. But then again I am 47!Keep the rubber down.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:42 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i guess it dont have nothing to do with wieght my I have a candy ****

ORIGINAL: x2lee

Are you kind of alight weight guy Whaap? Stock aint bad for me till after about 150 miles than it feels like I been sitting on a brick. I weigh 165. Just curious, not at all busting...

Dallas, thats Allen at mean city cycles.

ORIGINAL: WRAITH

The stock seat is not made for long distance riding.I purchaced a Sundowner touring seat,made a huge differance.I've gone 900kms in one day without any problems.
Only if it's uncomfortable for you. There's several of us on this forum that have no problem with the stock seat at all.
No problem. 5'10, 180 lbs.

Quick Reply: how long can you take it?