Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how long can you take it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 03:41 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: how long can you take it?

ORIGINAL: WRAITH

The stock seat is not made for long distance riding.I purchaced a Sundowner touring seat,made a huge differance.I've gone 900kms in one day without any problems.
Only if it's uncomfortable for you. There's several of us on this forum that have no problem with the stock seat at all.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:42 PM
crock921
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool. I dont plan on driving to daytona any time soon, but I do want to be as comfortable as one can be on two wheels. I want a one-up seat, so I guess I will have to look around a bit. Once I win that Nightster raffle, I will have to mamke some mods to my new nike. [sm=smiley36.gif]

Old 08-06-2007, 03:44 PM
Road Head
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can only stand about 150 miles at a time, so I stop, smoke & have something to drink and then I'm good for another 150. It's fine for long trips, just do it a chunk at a time.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:46 PM
crock921
Road Captain

I figure I would want to stop every couple of hour with any bike. After a while I would want to stand, stretch, and walk around a bit.

I like the "cage" word for cars. That is great.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:00 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: crock921

I figure I would want to stop every couple of hour with any bike. After a while I would want to stand, stretch, and walk around a bit.

I like the "cage" word for cars. That is great.
On long trips my reserve comes on at 150 miles so a stop is required anyhow if for nothing else some fuel, water and other assorted pleasures !!

Old 08-06-2007, 04:22 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

My '05 1200C had a 'stock seat', and I made plenty of 450+ mile daily runs on it.

I liked the stock seat, and had no intention of switching it out.

Never had any problems with discomfort, and to me it is very hard to understand how some can't ride their Sportster more than a hundred miles or so on the stock seat without moaning and groaning.

But I guess people come in various shapes, and some 'bottoms' need more padding than others.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:28 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member

On our last ride, one of you guys told me about someone that will install memory foam in a stock seat.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:40 PM
x2lee
Banned

I went 450+ lots of times. heck, I put250 regularly a day riding in town. I dont think its that rough of a ride, of course softail models riders do have softtails and get spoiled. You would think that a softail would be called a girls bike more than a hardtail....
ORIGINAL: GothMetalGuitarist

It's not the bike for longer trips if you are a pu$$y. [sm=laughat.gif] J/King!!!

I regularly do 400+ miles on my sporty with 10" shocks riding 2-up and rarely take her out for less than 150 miles unless I am riding it back and forth to work.

I have also shaved both of my OEM seats though so I cannot compare to Stock OEM seats that have not been modified.

Sure, it's a rough ride. I am about to turn 43 this month and the more I ride the easier it gets to put down the hard miles. If you are an occasional rider, I can understand I guess. It's not as smooth as a BT or RK but if I want smooth, I'll drive my cage. EW I hate that thought.

No rubber mounts, No EFI, No suspension...can you hack it?? [sm=wootwoot.gif]

Old 08-06-2007, 04:44 PM
x2lee
Banned

Are you kind of alight weight guy Whaap? Stock aint bad for me till after about 150 miles than it feels like I been sitting on a brick. I weigh 165. Just curious, not at all busting...

Dallas, thats Allen at mean city cycles.
ORIGINAL: whaap

ORIGINAL: WRAITH

The stock seat is not made for long distance riding.I purchaced a Sundowner touring seat,made a huge differance.I've gone 900kms in one day without any problems.
Only if it's uncomfortable for you. There's several of us on this forum that have no problem with the stock seat at all.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:50 PM
FloridaDrafter
Tourer

ORIGINAL: crock921

how comfortable is your sporty on longer rides? Everyone I talk to, Sporty owners included, claim this is not the bike for trips over 100 miles or so. They say it just becomes unbearable. Are there simple mods that can be done to resolve this, or is it just a factor to consider when buying a sporty. I am bouncing between a 1200n and the new Dyan Fat Bob, but have not come to a decision yet. If comfort is going to be drastically reduced on the nightster though, that will weigh heavily on my final ruling.

What have your experiences been? (sorry if this is a common tjread topic, I have not seen it while looking around)
I have the '07 1200R. When I first bought the bike and took about a 60 mile ride, I thought for sure that the seat would have to go. But the more rides I took on it, the more I got used to the seat, or it could be that the seat got used to me. At any rate, the seat did break in and now I don't even notice it. I did get the Sundowner so the wife could ride with me on occasion. It was the same way and I hated that damn seat at first. Although I prefer the stocker for its sleak looks, I swap them out quite a bit. The stocker lets you ride a bit farther back, and the Sundowner pushes you a few inches closer to the bars, and raises you up a little. Since I have the mid controls, leg stretch isn't an issue with either. The mid pegs take a lot of preasure off my tail bone. As mentioned, the R & N have different seats, but I'll bet they both will break in given some seat time.

-Andy

Quick Reply: how long can you take it?