Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how long can you take it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 10:19 PM
ezryder62881
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

'97 sportster here with stock "pillow" seat and forward controls. Been riding it 10 yrs and have been on several 500+ each way trips. 12hrs riding, stopping about every 100+/- miles or so for fuel and a drink. Felt fine with no problems. But let me say this - I have a tall backrest and a T-bag that I fill full and use as a backrest. Without this backrest and the forward controls, I'd probably be hurtin'. Usually cruise on the Interstate 65-70 comfortably.
Bought a '08 Ultra this year though so now I'm spoiled. The days of long trips on the sporty are gone.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:28 PM
Gypsylady
-Moderator-"Wench with a Wrench and Queen of Quips"
Received 1,980 Likes on 755 Posts

2000 1200 XL custom. 1400 miles in three days. Cozy for me.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:20 PM
Topdogg
Cruiser

The day I brought my 1200L home I had to ride about 150 miles, I had started regret but I've adjusted the suspension and now I've been able to do 300 or so miles with out a second thought, of course going 2up you need a touring seat like the sundowner or something similar.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:05 AM
Lopoetve
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacon_Grease
OK... it's the worst design possible for riding, but you won't change what makes it suck because that's what you like about it?

I'm thoroughly confused, but that's fine. I'm going to go out and check the front end to make sure everything was torqued down proper today.

My offer to help you sort the bike out still stands, but you have to be willing to take some positive action.

I'm free the weekend of the 13th. Bring the bike over, we'll try some gel pads, sheepskins, beaded seat covers, foam wedges, handlebar adjustments and whatnot. There's a fridge full of beer in the garage, too.
It's the worst possible design for riding any kind of extended distance (to me and for me). It's awesome fun for playing around in the mountains for a 100 miles, or riding to work and back (15 miles), or bumming around with my friends (30 miles). I do 8000 miles of that a year - it's over 90% of my riding. I don't want to change any of that, and the requirements for fixing the 10% totally ruin the 90% from what I've seen. I don't want forward controls, I don't want to change the geometry of the bike, and I don't want to swap on a new bar to make all of the above work.

To make it comfortable, I have to sacrifice handling, and that's not really something I'm interested in.

I don't ride long distances - I simply don't have the time to. Hence why I don't bother changing anything on the sportster. When I finally get up to the long trips I'm planning, I'll get a bike designed for the distance - use the best tool for the job. Something that can go off road a bit too.

I've got sparring practice that weekend, and a flying lesson, and one other thing I can't remember We'll see what I can free up. I don't even know where you're located though.
edit: I don't htink I've said it, but I AM grateful for the offer of help. Very much so. I just have come to expect the same answer every time I dig into it - every place so far has ended up the same - convert it to the C model and buy a mustang or corbin seat. The dealer (who I trust - they're one of the few), Corbin, the local HOG group - it all comes down to the same answer - convert it to a Custom model, forward controls, and then it'll be comfortable.

Last edited by Lopoetve; 09-03-2008 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:55 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

You may use that quote as often as you like - however, you can't say it while wearing fingerless gloves or chaps. It will come out wrong if you do....
Dammit I own some fingerless gloves, but no chaps for me thank you.

My offer to help you sort the bike out still stands, but you have to be willing to take some positive action.

I'm free the weekend of the 13th. Bring the bike over, we'll try some gel pads, sheepskins, beaded seat covers, foam wedges, handlebar adjustments and whatnot. There's a fridge full of beer in the garage, too.
That's pretty damn cool of you to offer your help to him. Can I come over and check out your fridge?

Old 09-03-2008, 09:11 AM
lockingnut
Advanced

Anyone have a Le Pera seat? They comfortable, how do they hold up?

thanks, Don

Old 09-03-2008, 10:00 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member

I just put a Le Pera on my bike a couple weeks ago. Yea it's not a Sporty but still. I can tell you it is pretty damn hard. I love the looks of it and the narrowness of it and that it lowered me about an inch. The seating position is much better but after a 200 mile ride on it you start noticing how hard it really is.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:35 AM
Lopoetve
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PigInaBlanket

That's pretty damn cool of you to offer your help to him. Can I come over and check out your fridge?
It is awesome for him to offer. I don't expect anything different than what everyone else found though - Convert it, or ride it as is.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:21 AM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PigInaBlanket

Sure thing, but I thought riders in fingerless gloves drank TAB cola...

Old 09-03-2008, 11:22 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member

TAB ain't bad but I prefer a nice cherry vanilla coke from Sonic or a coke with squirts of cherry from Wawa. Dammit now you made me want one.

Quick Reply: how long can you take it?