Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 883 custom for CAD$5500 - worth? What to look for before buyin?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 10:40 AM
CanVanRider
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2004 883 custom for CAD$5500 - worth? What to look for before buyin?

Hi guys. I am new here and very excited to join the Hd family.

i just wanted some opinions for a 2004 Sportster 883 custom with Vance & Hines and custom suspensions. Silver color. i am getting it for CAD$5500.
Since i am a new rider i am planning to keep it for max 2 summers as i am saving it for a new Fat Boy.

i am a 6’1” 240 lbs man. Just wanted some expert views on the profile and if i should go for 2004 version. It has 24,000 kms on it. KBB motorcycle says the ideal value should be USD 2500-4000.

any inputs will he really appreciated 🙏

Old 06-16-2021, 03:04 PM
joeysawyer1
Novice
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CanVanRider
Hi guys. I am new here and very excited to join the Hd family.

i just wanted some opinions for a 2004 Sportster 883 custom with Vance & Hines and custom suspensions. Silver color. i am getting it for CAD$5500.
Since i am a new rider i am planning to keep it for max 2 summers as i am saving it for a new Fat Boy.

i am a 6’1” 240 lbs man. Just wanted some expert views on the profile and if i should go for 2004 version. It has 24,000 kms on it. KBB motorcycle says the ideal value should be USD 2500-4000.

any inputs will he really appreciated 🙏

I paid $2400 USD for my 04 883 in March. it was all stock with 7800 miles on the clock. i'm 6 foot tall 240 Lbs also i would suggest you look into some forward controls if you don't already have them on it and some mini apes.
Mine came with the stock drag bars i swapped them out for some Dyna wide glide mini apes and installed new cables and extended all the wiring and the brake line. I have a set of Amazon special forward controls and a mustang wide seat. oh and a Arlen Ness Big Sucker air cleaner. I would also check your tire date codes and change them if they are to old mine where the original tires from Harley so they had a lot of tread left on them but where all dry rotted when i had them swapped out you could see all the cracks in the side wall from the dry rot. Just get out and ride this is my 1st Harley also and I'm getting more and more comfortable each time i jump on it it.

Old 06-16-2021, 03:28 PM
johnny_bravo00
Road Captain
Received 285 Likes on 142 Posts

You're buying at peak market with the bike market already being severely inflated due to the pandemic.
There's a lot more deals around here in Toronto, but I've looked local to you and I can see its pretty "slim pickins'".

Assuming this (https://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruis...ustom/m1464492) is the bike you're looking at.
Burly Slammers and a 240# man might not be the best combo.
Otherwise, if it checks all your boxes, go for it.
If not, be patient. The right bike will eventually show up.

Old 06-16-2021, 03:53 PM
CanVanRider
4th Gear

Originally Posted by johnny_bravo00
You're buying at peak market with the bike market already being severely inflated due to the pandemic.
There's a lot more deals around here in Toronto, but I've looked local to you and I can see its pretty "slim pickins'".

Assuming this (https://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruis...ustom/m1464492) is the bike you're looking at.
Burly Slammers and a 240# man might not be the best combo.
Otherwise, if it checks all your boxes, go for it.
If not, be patient. The right bike will eventually show up.

Hey Man, thank- really appreciate your comments!

You are BANG ON! this is exactly the bike i went to see.. since it was late in the day- did not Test Ride it.. planning to do it today!

I've attached the following pics sitting on it.. when you say Burly +240 might not be the best combo.. can you throw some light on it? i dont plan to ride this on LONG HIGWAYS>.say 100 KM max on a stretch.. i have a Licence Test this September so just planning to have some KMS under the belt...

Just worried that am i paying too HIGH for a 04 model? i dont want to spend something for short term purpose...considering the Maintenance it might attarct also...also regarding SIZE>. not sure if it suits my size?

and you are right on Slims..as i havent seen a good deal anywhere on pre-owned ones...

any other inputs relating to WHAT SHOULD I SEE WHILE TEST RIDING ..might help!

Thanks again

Old 06-16-2021, 04:13 PM
johnny_bravo00
Road Captain
Received 285 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by CanVanRider
Hey Man, thank- really appreciate your comments!

You are BANG ON! this is exactly the bike i went to see.. since it was late in the day- did not Test Ride it.. planning to do it today!

I've attached the following pics sitting on it.. when you say Burly +240 might not be the best combo.. can you throw some light on it? i dont plan to ride this on LONG HIGWAYS>.say 100 KM max on a stretch.. i have a Licence Test this September so just planning to have some KMS under the belt...

Just worried that am i paying too HIGH for a 04 model? i dont want to spend something for short term purpose...considering the Maintenance it might attarct also...also regarding SIZE>. not sure if it suits my size?

and you are right on Slims..as i havent seen a good deal anywhere on pre-owned ones...

any other inputs relating to WHAT SHOULD I SEE WHILE TEST RIDING ..might help!

Thanks again
In a normal year, the price would be lower than what's advertised. You might also have to pay some sort of dealer fees, on top of the agreed price.
As for the bike itself, looks like its clean for the year and the kms are good.
It has V&H exhaust as well as a Screaming eagle intake so listen for popping in the exhaust & hesitation or shudder in the throttle response. Ask if its been re-jetted to accommodate.
I only mentioned the Burly slammers as they would probably be fairly hard due to the reduced spring length (They are a lowering shock)
Height wise, Im also 6'1(ish) and rode a Sporty for years.

When I was searching for a new Sportster I held out until I found a 07+ due to them being fuel injected as well as being a 1200cc. That said, there are lots who love their Carb'd bikes.
Good luck with you hunt

Old 06-16-2021, 04:15 PM
CanVanRider
4th Gear

Originally Posted by joeysawyer1
I paid $2400 USD for my 04 883 in March. it was all stock with 7800 miles on the clock. i'm 6 foot tall 240 Lbs also i would suggest you look into some forward controls if you don't already have them on it and some mini apes.
Mine came with the stock drag bars i swapped them out for some Dyna wide glide mini apes and installed new cables and extended all the wiring and the brake line. I have a set of Amazon special forward controls and a mustang wide seat. oh and a Arlen Ness Big Sucker air cleaner. I would also check your tire date codes and change them if they are to old mine where the original tires from Harley so they had a lot of tread left on them but where all dry rotted when i had them swapped out you could see all the cracks in the side wall from the dry rot. Just get out and ride this is my 1st Harley also and I'm getting more and more comfortable each time i jump on it it.

The one i am looking at is a Custom with Vans & Hines Pipes with burly slammers and original HD Seat..

Old 06-16-2021, 05:08 PM
CanVanRider
4th Gear

Originally Posted by johnny_bravo00
In a normal year, the price would be lower than what's advertised. You might also have to pay some sort of dealer fees, on top of the agreed price.
As for the bike itself, looks like its clean for the year and the kms are good.
It has V&H exhaust as well as a Screaming eagle intake so listen for popping in the exhaust & hesitation or shudder in the throttle response. Ask if its been re-jetted to accommodate.
I only mentioned the Burly slammers as they would probably be fairly hard due to the reduced spring length (They are a lowering shock)
Height wise, Im also 6'1(ish) and rode a Sporty for years.

When I was searching for a new Sportster I held out until I found a 07+ due to them being fuel injected as well as being a 1200cc. That said, there are lots who love their Carb'd bikes.
Good luck with you hunt

Thanks Again Mate.. '07+ and/or 1200 would exceed my budget of $5000-$6000... the dealer has agreed for a final price of $5500+Doc fee ($199) = Tax ...plus i might get a vehicle transfer fee from ICBC... all in i am looking at CAD$6000... i am thinking on lines if i were to sell it SPRING 2022... i should atleast get $5000... do you think its worth it???

Thanks for commentary on throttle,..exhaust.. and burly's..i plan not to ride it ROUGH... so hopefully it should be fine...also i am in process to negotiate with dealership for some extra accessories like a new seat... lets see!!