Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Sportster owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2021 | 09:17 PM
MasonH44
|
Stage IV
Default New Sportster owner

Hey guys - new member here. Just picked up my first Harley, a 2004 Sportster 1200. I have about a year of riding experience and am new to the Harley world. That being said, what general advice is out there about the Sportster? Basic things like the best way to drive it, when to shift, what things to look out for, how to properly take care of it, etc. Any comments would be appreciated!

Last edited by MasonH44; 05-17-2021 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-17-2021 | 10:34 PM
PovertyRider
Road Master

Ride it like you stole it!
Seriously, the sportster is a tank. Ride it, keep oil in it (half way mark on stick), enjoy it.
HD stands for $100 get ready to customize it to your liking with lots of third party after market parts all starting around $100 each.
Pipes, air cleaner, tuner called stage 1 is a popular thing to do if not already done. Suspension, and seat are a close second.
Have fun.

The following users liked this post:
MasonH44 (05-17-2021)
Old 05-18-2021 | 02:26 AM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member

The sooner you stop thinking about it , the happier you and the bike will be . The bike will talk to you and tell you exactly what it is willing to do . If you shift too early it will judder and if you shift too late it will buzz . Don't be in a hurry to get into fifth gear , most of the fun is to be had in third and fourth . ( Well it is on British country roads ) Take your time , relax and enjoy . I'll leave you with this thought . The slower you ride it , the faster it will go . When you realise what this means you will have got the hang of it .

The following 2 users liked this post by Midpegs:
Andy from Sandy (05-18-2021), Iron Horse 13 (05-18-2021)
Old 05-19-2021 | 01:02 PM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member

Well , that was a lively discussion wasn't it ? This is not a free advice on demand service . It's a CHAT forum .

Old 05-19-2021 | 01:22 PM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member

Congrats, almost 4 years ago I was where you're at except I've been riding for over 40 years. In that 4 years, and 23,700 miles later the bike still puts a smile on my face every time I'm on it.
PovertyRider is correct, you WILL spend money making it yours. I'd hate to figure what I have into mine at this point...

New Sportster owner-k3dr0i9l.jpg

MasonH44 (05-19-2021)
Old 05-19-2021 | 10:07 PM
MasonH44
|
Stage IV

Thanks for the comments guys. I’m still getting a feel for the bike but I’m starting to understand the whole “listen to your bike” aspect. Went for a cruise today and I’m enjoying it more and more. I’m not sure what I’ll do to it, maybe start with intake/exhaust?

Old 05-20-2021 | 03:39 AM
PovertyRider
Road Master

Originally Posted by MasonH44
Thanks for the comments guys. I’m still getting a feel for the bike but I’m starting to understand the whole “listen to your bike” aspect. Went for a cruise today and I’m enjoying it more and more. I’m not sure what I’ll do to it, maybe start with intake/exhaust?
You can do one or the other but if you do both you have to add a tuner also.
Cheers

Old 05-20-2021 | 06:01 AM
Midpegs
Outstanding HDF Member

Ah , sorry about my earlier comments . I'm glad you're enjoying your new bike . I'm on my third year of Sportster ownership and after 20 years of big Japanese fours it has been a struggle . Basically you've got to turn off your targeting computer and use The Force .

MasonH44 (05-20-2021)
Old 05-20-2021 | 08:15 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member

I got my first sportster in 1964. Somehow, someway, I’ve had a sporty for most of my life. I ride other bikes, owed a few great alternates, but always return to a sporty.

We have a touring Harley, but except for the years of my marriage and immediately after my divorce when I did not ride, I’ve enjoyed the uniqueness of a sporty.

They are bullet proof, handle well, sound good, are infinitely adaptable, cheap to own, and for an old man, a virtual time machine. When I get on my sporty, I am instantly transported to my 16 year old brain. My broken body no longer feels the ravages of time.

I pray that your experience will be life long as well. Turn it into a lifetime of mental health. Nothing restores your sense of well-being like going for a ride on a sportster. Well, maybe a few other things.

You can have my sportster when you pry the handlebars from my cold dead hands. Not an accident, but when I feel the big one coming, I’ll head for the garage and sit on my sporty. Only you will understand why I could die with such a great big smile on my face.

MasonH44 (05-20-2021)
Old 05-20-2021 | 09:36 AM
Professor Fate
Tourer
Veteran: Navy

Hey guys - new member here. Just picked up my first Harley, a 2004 Sportster 1200. I have about a year of riding experience and am new to the Harley world. That being said, what general advice is out there about the Sportster? Basic things like the best way to drive it, when to shift, what things to look out for, how to properly take care of it, etc. Any comments would be appreciated!
Get the factory service manual if you want to wrench on it yourself. I just happen to have a 2004 manual for sale in the sportster classifieds.

MasonH44 (05-20-2021)

Quick Reply: New Sportster owner