Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 Roadster Start Up Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 11:35 AM
newrider01
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone. Will clean up the contacts tonight and toss it on the tender. Will report back with any update 👍🏽

Old 04-12-2021, 06:12 PM
newrider01
4th Gear

Hey guys. Got my bike hooked up to the tender and looks like its charging properly! Will update.
Does anyone know what this hose is doing connected at the bottom of the frame? It is plugged up with this bracket thing with no outlet, and leads to the oil tank. I included images below. Appreciate any help, sorry for the noob questions!

Bottom of frame next to primary

Connection to oil tank?

Old 04-12-2021, 06:17 PM
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by newrider01
Hey guys. Got my bike hooked up to the tender and looks like its charging properly! Will update.
Does anyone know what this hose is doing connected at the bottom of the frame? It is plugged up with this bracket thing with no outlet, and leads to the oil tank. I included images below. Appreciate any help, sorry for the noob questions!

Bottom of frame next to primary

Connection to oil tank?
Oil drain hose. Keep that attached to frame. You will have fun with your new service manual. Knowing so little is dangerous and can get expensive... much more expensive than the service manual. Did you take a look at that set of manuals?

Old 04-12-2021, 06:25 PM
newrider01
4th Gear

Originally Posted by 0003
Oil drain hose. Keep that attached to frame. You will have fun with your new service manual. Knowing so little is dangerous and can get expensive... much more expensive than the service manual. Did you take a look at that set of manuals?
Haha yes, thank you. I purchased the Clymer manual, should be coming in this week. I read that it covered all the bases, would you recommend?

Old 04-12-2021, 06:38 PM
Cruiser

Haha yes, thank you. I purchased the Clymer manual, should be coming in this week. I read that it covered all the bases, would you recommend?
Oh man! I'm sorry I didn't specify that you should not buy the clymer manual... like specifically do not buy. I think I kind of did if I said Harley Service manual. They're incomplete, scattered hard to navigate and the wiring diagrams are not intuitive. They try to accomplish too much in one book... you probably bought one that spans 2004 to 2013.... you could have bought one specific to your year and not full of a bunch of crap you don't need to clutter what will be an already cluttered mind while in the midst of a problem.

For example I thumbed through the clymer for 10 minutes looking for something that I'm still sure is not actually there... I watched a video where the guy pulled out his harley manual... before realizing I own that one for this bike too ... so I dropped the clymer grabbed the harley manual went to the index and went directly to the page that held the info... 10 seconds and success instead of 10 minutes and failure... my brother in law saw that and finally bought the 2004 harley service manual. Clymer requires a manual to read the manual. Its seems like alot of money but its not. Wait till you get your first Harley Service bill because your manual was too confusing to provide you with the confidence to do it yourself.

Old 04-12-2021, 06:59 PM
newrider01
4th Gear

Oh man! I'm sorry I didn't specify that you should not buy the clymer manual... like specifically do not buy. I think I kind of did if I said Harley Service manual. They're incomplete, scattered hard to navigate and the wiring diagrams are not intuitive. They try to accomplish too much in one book... you probably bought one that spans 2004 to 2013.... you could have bought one specific to your year and not full of a bunch of crap you don't need to clutter what will be an already cluttered mind while in the midst of a problem.

For example I thumbed through the clymer for 10 minutes looking for something that I'm still sure is not actually there... I watched a video where the guy pulled out his harley manual... before realizing I own that one for this bike too ... so I dropped the clymer grabbed the harley manual went to the index and went directly to the page that held the info... 10 seconds and success instead of 10 minutes and failure... my brother in law saw that and finally bought the 2004 harley service manual. Clymer requires a manual to read the manual. Its seems like alot of money but its not. Wait till you get your first Harley Service bill because your manual was too confusing to provide you with the confidence to do it yourself.
Okay you sold me, getting the 05 manual from ebay now! LOL

Old 04-12-2021, 07:09 PM
Cruiser

Okay you sold me, getting the 05 manual from ebay now! LOL
Good stuff.. I got hit over the head with the same stuff when I got here. Not as well explained or exeplified but just as right.

I wish the link is sent you had some of the years I'm interested in.

Old 04-13-2021, 11:04 PM
Cruiser

I'd zip Tie it too.... was thinking today while riding.

What happened to bike!!

Old 04-13-2021, 11:15 PM
newrider01
4th Gear

I'd zip Tie it too.... was thinking today while riding.

What happened to bike!!
I got her rippin today! Cleaned and snugged up the contacts and let the tender do its work. I think I just need a new battery as this one isn't holding charge very long even after a short ride. Super excited though! Thanks for the help.

Old 04-14-2021, 03:53 AM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member
Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

I got her rippin today! Cleaned and snugged up the contacts and let the tender do its work. I think I just need a new battery as this one isn't holding charge very long even after a short ride. Super excited though! Thanks for the help.
Yeah, battery tenders can be misleading. Can show a full charge but if a battery has a bad cell it's not really good to go. New battery time.
I like the clip for the drain hose, my son's 08 Roadster just hangs down

Quick Reply: 05 Roadster Start Up Problem