Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need your thoughts on a wierd situation

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007 | 12:25 AM
saltlick
|
Road Warrior
Default Need your thoughts on a wierd situation

Im selling my bike on craigslist:

I was contacted by a person (and talked to them via phone) who said they want to come over and see my bike. They said this bike is exactly what they are looking for. They are coming over tomarrow.

They told me there is one thing though, they got approved for financing through the local HD shop. Theyasked would i mind selling Harley Davidson my bike, HD will pay me my asking price for it, thenHD will turn around and sell it back to him, that way he can finance the bike through HD.......... he said he of course he would pay for all the fees HD will tack on for buying/selling the bike to him, i will get the asking price for my bike.

I dont know why but this sounds funny to me. Has anyone heard of something like this before? Would HD do something like that? It makes sense in a way, all HD is doing is making money that way by having the bike financed, and im sure throwing on some fees he will have to pay for. But still it just doesnt sit right.

I figure as long as I go to the HD dealership, and they cut me a check for my asking price, what could be wrong? I dont know, ive always just done cash deals, no checks. What do you guys think? Would you take a large check from HD? I am just afraid if i went to cash it, with my luck for some stupid reason it would bounce. Can HD just give me cash instead of a check? Its only 5K. Im hoping its legit, you just never know with all the craigslist scams these days......

Old 08-02-2007 | 12:37 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Need your thoughts on a wierd situation

Go to the dealer with him and check out his story.

Old 08-02-2007 | 02:02 AM
ecvjohn
Banned

A lot of dealers will do this type of deal. The dealer tacks on a bit so it gets paid and Eaglemark(HDs bank) get the interest from financing, you sell your bike. Its win win for everyone involved.

a dealer would not be around long writing bad checks, just go sit in while the guy gets his financing in order.Dealer cuts a check to youon the spot and your done.
good luck with the sale.

Old 08-02-2007 | 08:24 AM
jterp
Tourer

This sounds legit to me. The dealership will write you a buisness check -- which to me is better than anyone's personal check. They make money on the financing, plus they will charge him a doc fee and probably a transfer fee.

Once you give them the bike and they cut you a check you're out of it -- take your money and walk away.

Old 08-02-2007 | 08:46 AM
rob i
Road Master

yeah man. this sounds like the MOST ideal way to sell your bike. Best of luck.

Old 08-02-2007 | 08:47 AM
mr.hammond
Road Captain

its worth a try.

Old 08-02-2007 | 01:45 PM
saltlick
|
Road Warrior

when selling bikes ive always made the person give me CASH before i let him take off on my bike to test ride it. How will i do this now if the dealership is cutting me a check? I cant see this guy wanting to go through all this without riding it first, if he rides it first then dumps it, ill be holding the bag. Any ideas?

Old 08-02-2007 | 01:52 PM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: saltlick

when selling bikes ive always made the person give me CASH before i let him take off on my bike to test ride it. How will i do this now if the dealership is cutting me a check? I cant see this guy wanting to go through all this without riding it first, if he rides it first then dumps it, ill be holding the bag. Any ideas?
Dont offer test rides on your bike (unless the buyer put up cash to cover any damages). There is nothing but bad can come from it. Most buyers understand they cant test ride a bike.

Old 08-02-2007 | 04:23 PM
mr.hammond
Road Captain

yep.he will understand.

Old 08-02-2007 | 04:56 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member

Just a piece of friendly advise ... Do not part with it unless you get a certified cheque!! ... even if it's from the dealership. If this deal is on the up and up...that shouldn't be a problem. then .... Take the money and run. ... LIKE THE WIND!

Quick Reply: Need your thoughts on a wierd situation