Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

883 Low

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 06:57 PM
Warhawk
Tourer

Received 191 Likes on 89 Posts
Default 883 Low

My wife wants to get another bike. She’s ridden a Softail Deluxe about 30K miles, maybe more I don’t remember. So she has some experience, but she’s tiny, just 5’ tall and not getting any younger. We’ve been thinking about fixing up a little Honda 600 that my brother has, but I’m thinking one of these Sportster low models might be the way to go.

Trouble is they are scarce around here. The closest one is 3 1/2 hours away and is an 883. The 1200 touring model might be ideal, but I’m not sure how it’s set up. Mid mount controls would be a must. I can always change the seat and shocks if I need to, done plenty of times before.

Does any here ride an 883 or 1200 low? Or have a wife who does?

Old 03-12-2021, 11:20 PM
JLeclainche
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ride a 2007 Sportster 883 Low with the stock mid controls. I am a small guy with a 27" inseam. That is more important than my overall height (5'3"), as the inseams dictates whether or not you can flat foot your motorcycle, and many people 5' tall have longer inseams than I do. My bike is stock (except for headlight and crash bars). I have no problem riding it, despite my age - 72 years old, very soon to be 73.

I have another bike, a 2019 Kawasaki Vulcan S (650 cc engine). It is quicker and faster than my 883, and more comfortable. Cheaper too. Very low seat height, and it feels lighter than the Sportster. I honestly think it is easier to ride that the Harley, but of course it is more a "sport cruiser" than a real cruiser. It has forward controls, but you can get different settings for the forward controls, different seats and handlebars to fit all sizes of riders. I have the reduced reach foot controls, reduced reach seat, but standard reach handlebars. That fits me- short legs, not so short torso. The hand controls (brake and clutch levers) are adjustable without tools.

If you are set on a Harley, a 883 low (or a 1200L) would be a good choice. They are plenty for sale here in Colorado!

Old 03-13-2021, 12:48 AM
Warhawk
Tourer

Originally Posted by JLeclainche
I ride a 2007 Sportster 883 Low with the stock mid controls. I am a small guy with a 27" inseam. That is more important than my overall height (5'3"), as the inseams dictates whether or not you can flat foot your motorcycle, and many people 5' tall have longer inseams than I do. My bike is stock (except for headlight and crash bars). I have no problem riding it, despite my age - 72 years old, very soon to be 73.

I have another bike, a 2019 Kawasaki Vulcan S (650 cc engine). It is quicker and faster than my 883, and more comfortable. Cheaper too. Very low seat height, and it feels lighter than the Sportster. I honestly think it is easier to ride that the Harley, but of course it is more a "sport cruiser" than a real cruiser. It has forward controls, but you can get different settings for the forward controls, different seats and handlebars to fit all sizes of riders. I have the reduced reach foot controls, reduced reach seat, but standard reach handlebars. That fits me- short legs, not so short torso. The hand controls (brake and clutch levers) are adjustable without tools.

If you are set on a Harley, a 883 low (or a 1200L) would be a good choice. They are plenty for sale here in Colorado!
Thanks for the info, wife’s inseam is 25 or 26 inches. How are the bars and grip location for you? Have you ridden a 1200T? Curious if the bars and controls are the same as the 883 Superlow.

The closest 883 Superlow I can find is a 4 hour drive away. That’s the reason for all the questions. Bottom line is we are going to have to find one she can at least sit on, and hopefully test ride.

Old 03-13-2021, 06:42 AM
boomerguy
Road Captain
Received 321 Likes on 221 Posts

I'm not sure about the other years but I have ridden a 2020 Iron 1200 which has the low frame and mid-controls (I can't use forwards because of sciatica.). I assume the Iron 883 would be the same. I'm 5'6" and my butt was very close to the ground. This would be ideal for anyone that is 5' because this lowers the center of gravity for the rider very much. Forward controls on this bike would be a challenge for a short person, I think...not sure. This bike would be ideal for short rides.

Here are the reasons I did not care for it but, they probably would not apply for someone else. (My regular ride is a taller 2005 Sportster 883 with mid-controls.) The lower stance of the Iron 1200 means shorter shocks and thinner seat which result in a very bumpy ride. It literally knocked the wind out of me on bumpy roads. The mini-apes which come standard were not comfortable for me because I'm not used to them. I've always used lower handlebars -- again, this is just me. The handling was great and the bike performed flawlessly. I would definitely recommend it for a short person. Seat and handlebars can be changed, if desired.

Old 03-13-2021, 07:33 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,169 Posts

I suggest going to your local dealer and have her sit on a Sportster. They will also have some used ones. Any of the Superlows (883 or 1200) or Irons will have mid controls. The 1200T will have a slightly more forward mid-controls.

To get her lower, the seat can be modified some, another inch or so. Between the 883 or the 1200 motor, I would opt for the 1200 if you can swing it. It'll keep up with you better. Also the 4.5 gal tank would be less stops on the long trips.

One food for thought is you can convert any of the Sportsters to have mid-controls. H-D and some third party has kits for that. I have a Sporty Custom that I put mid controls on, and put highway pegs in the forward position to stretch out on the long trips. You can also get a detachable windshield for these Sporties, which I think she'll like.

Last edited by RKZen; 03-13-2021 at 07:38 AM.
Old 03-13-2021, 08:41 AM
boomerguy
Road Captain
Received 321 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by RKZen
I suggest going to your local dealer and have her sit on a Sportster. They will also have some used ones. Any of the Superlows (883 or 1200) or Irons will have mid controls. The 1200T will have a slightly more forward mid-controls.

To get her lower, the seat can be modified some, another inch or so. Between the 883 or the 1200 motor, I would opt for the 1200 if you can swing it. It'll keep up with you better. Also the 4.5 gal tank would be less stops on the long trips.

One food for thought is you can convert any of the Sportsters to have mid-controls. H-D and some third party has kits for that. I have a Sporty Custom that I put mid controls on, and put highway pegs in the forward position to stretch out on the long trips. You can also get a detachable windshield for these Sporties, which I think she'll like.
The larger tank is longer and requires a shorter seat which sits back about an inch or so, making you reach farther for the handlebars. I tried to sell an extra seat from my Sporty with the 3.3 gallon tank to my buddy with a 4.5 gallon tank and my seat was too long to fit behind his longer tank. If you need a shorter reach, stick with the smaller tank. The tank capacity is no problem for me when I ride. Between 100 and 150 miles, I start looking for a gas station to refill my tank and I've never had to turn on my reserve.

Old 03-13-2021, 09:02 AM
Tnbrit
Road Captain
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Both Superlows 883 & 1200T have 4.5 gallon tanks & very similar Handlebar reach & seat height, as pointed out the 1200T has "further forward mids" (which i'm in the middle of trying to fit to my 883 superlow) & also I believe the 1200T has the same gearing as the 883, which is lower than other 1200's.

Old 03-15-2021, 12:22 PM
junodtim
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Warhawk
My wife wants to get another bike. She’s ridden a Softail Deluxe about 30K miles, maybe more I don’t remember. So she has some experience, but she’s tiny, just 5’ tall and not getting any younger. We’ve been thinking about fixing up a little Honda 600 that my brother has, but I’m thinking one of these Sportster low models might be the way to go.

Trouble is they are scarce around here. The closest one is 3 1/2 hours away and is an 883. The 1200 touring model might be ideal, but I’m not sure how it’s set up. Mid mount controls would be a must. I can always change the seat and shocks if I need to, done plenty of times before.

Does any here ride an 883 or 1200 low? Or have a wife who does?
Yes. My wife bought a 2017 XL883L with 300 miles. It came with windshield, crash bars, small luggage rack, stage I air cleaner and Vance & Hines short cutoff exhaust. Other plus's is the 4.5 gallon gas tank, and the seat is lower than an Iron. Some change we made; moved the handlebar position closer to her, after she rode 9000 miles I installed the 1200 conversion, Screamin Eagle Pro Tuner, and a 31 tooth front sprocket. If I were to do it again, I would purchase a tuner that will adjust the speedometer calibration. She loves this bike, it now has 12654 miles.

Old 03-17-2021, 04:27 PM
Warhawk
Tourer

Originally Posted by junodtim
Yes. My wife bought a 2017 XL883L with 300 miles. It came with windshield, crash bars, small luggage rack, stage I air cleaner and Vance & Hines short cutoff exhaust. Other plus's is the 4.5 gallon gas tank, and the seat is lower than an Iron. Some change we made; moved the handlebar position closer to her, after she rode 9000 miles I installed the 1200 conversion, Screamin Eagle Pro Tuner, and a 31 tooth front sprocket. If I were to do it again, I would purchase a tuner that will adjust the speedometer calibration. She loves this bike, it now has 12654 miles.
How tall is your wife? Was the stock seat ok for her?

My wife is 5' tall with a 25-26 inch inseam. We are making the trip to Rogers, AR tomorrow to check out a 2013 XL883L Superlow.

Old 03-18-2021, 06:40 PM
Warhawk
Tourer

Originally Posted by junodtim
We drove up to Rogers today, miserable cold windy rainy day, so no test rides. But we were able to look at two different 883 Superlows, and assorted other new bikes. She is absolutely NOT a fan of the new blacked out theme everything seems to have. Other than the blacked out theme, she liked the Sportster 48 pretty well. The bikes we looked at were a 2011 with 20K miles and a 2013 with 12K miles. Both were white with colored inserts on the tank. The 2011 had bags, windshield, electronic speedo and a crash bar. The other bike was stock. Both were way too expensive in my mind. But she could flat foot the bikes, and the reach to the controls was great.

Her must haves are; stock exhaust, mid controls, and a bike she can flat foot. The 883 Superlow meets all those criteria for her.

Ive been looking at several Superlows online, and have found a 2014 with 2K miles a bunch cheaper. Planning to get it bought tomorrow, and shipped here.

Last edited by Warhawk; 03-18-2021 at 06:45 PM.

Quick Reply: 883 Low