Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

883 Low

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2021, 12:37 AM
Ron PC
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 5'5" with a 28 inch inseam. Had a 2004 XL1200 custom. The forward controls were almost too far. Never really liked them. Just bought a new Iron 883 and can easily flat foot with both feet. It has the short shocks on it. Need to change the handle bars as I have to lean forward or sit further forward on the seat than I like.

Old 03-19-2021, 02:48 AM
Raginginferno22
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I got me a little 06’ 883 supalow. I’m about 6’1” but love the control I’ve got over this bike. I know it’s small but I’m in the process of converting it to a 1200 which is cheaper than just buy a 1200 outright Ive heard.

bought mine for $3000 with only 2000 miles on it babeyyyy.

Before

After 😈
I love harleys and the sporty look because the customizations are endless

Old 03-19-2021, 05:44 AM
boomerguy
Road Captain
Received 321 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron PC
I'm 5'5" with a 28 inch inseam. Had a 2004 XL1200 custom. The forward controls were almost too far. Never really liked them. Just bought a new Iron 883 and can easily flat foot with both feet. It has the short shocks on it. Need to change the handle bars as I have to lean forward or sit further forward on the seat than I like.
Yes, same here. I'm 5'6" with the same inseam. My bike is a 2005 XL883 Standard with mid-controls and low handlebars. I was able to install 4" risers in place of the stock 1" risers on the same handlebars with a longer brake cable which allowed me to sit more upright. This also got the kink out of my neck when riding and prevented the bottom of my helmet from rubbing my jacket collar (plastic against leather makes a squeaking sound).

When I rode my buddy's 2005 XL1200 Custom with forward-controls and the same stock handlebars, my lower back was bent over so far that my sciatica kicked in right away and caused agony for the next several weeks. The fact that his 4.5 gallon gas tank pushed me back another inch from the handlebars didn't help, either.

Another nice feature of mid-controls is that they make the rider look like he/she is in a more aggressive position. I've owned dozens of bikes since the 1960's and only two of them had forward controls. This was before my back problems and I didn't like them. The body position and weight distribution with your legs forward don't make for good handling in the mountain twisties. If you've ever snow-skied, you know what I mean.

Last edited by boomerguy; 03-19-2021 at 05:48 AM.
Old 03-19-2021, 08:56 AM
Warhawk
Tourer

Received 191 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron PC
She looked a used Sportster 48 Special. It fit her really well, surprised me that she liked the mini apes on it. But she liked the superlow the best of all.

The following users liked this post:
Ron PC (03-19-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 08:59 AM
Warhawk
Tourer

Originally Posted by Raginginferno22
Yeah I got me a little 06’ 883 supalow. I’m about 6’1” but love the control I’ve got over this bike. I know it’s small but I’m in the process of converting it to a 1200 which is cheaper than just buy a 1200 outright Ive heard.

bought mine for $3000 with only 2000 miles on it babeyyyy.

I love harleys and the sporty look because the customizations are endless
I believe yours in the XL883L low. The Superlow came out in 2011, they changed to low profile tires on the Superlow that dropped the seat height a little more. Apparently that hurts the lean angle, doesn't matter in our case.

Nice bike!

Old 03-19-2021, 09:17 AM
boomerguy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Warhawk
She looked a used Sportster 48 Special. It fit her really well, surprised me that she liked the mini apes on it. But she liked the superlow the best of all.
Having ridden a 2020 Iron 1200 which has the low profile with mid-controls and mini-apes, I found the difference between the mini-apes and my standard handlebars does not affect the handling, so this is a comfort choice, as far as I"m concerned. The mid-controls make the biggest difference in handling. My 2005 883 Standard does not have a low profile and I found the handling to be the same, although the low profile of the Iron 1200 knocked the wind out of me on big dips and bumps in the road (shorter shocks and thin seat). I don't lean enough for the profile of the bike or the tires to make a difference. On smooth roads, both bikes were just as comfortable.

Old 03-19-2021, 10:31 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Ive been looking at several Superlows online, and have found a 2014 with 2K miles a bunch cheaper. Planning to get it bought tomorrow, and shipped here.
Congrats on the find. Post pics when it's all said and done...we like pics here.

The '14 and newer bikes have some differences than previous years, namely, the electrical is CanBus now. Also has a different speedo that displays the gear and RPM, and a few other improvements. You could always make it more comfy later for her by adding a detachable windshield, comfy seat and more pullback on the bars to have her sit more upright.

I switched the forward controls to mids and added some highway pegs in the forward position on my 11 Custom to stretch out on the long rides. The bars have more pullback also.

Ron PC (03-19-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 11:15 AM
boomerguy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by RKZen
Congrats on the find. Post pics when it's all said and done...we like pics here.

The '14 and newer bikes have some differences than previous years, namely, the electrical is CanBus now. Also has a different speedo that displays the gear and RPM, and a few other improvements. You could always make it more comfy later for her by adding a detachable windshield, comfy seat and more pullback on the bars to have her sit more upright.

I switched the forward controls to mids and added some highway pegs in the forward position on my 11 Custom to stretch out on the long rides. The bars have more pullback also.

Yes. I agree on everything! Beautiful bike, by the way.

RKZen (04-14-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 11:25 AM
Warhawk
Tourer

This is the one I'm buying for her.

The following 2 users liked this post by Warhawk:
RKZen (04-14-2021), Ron PC (03-19-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 02:03 PM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,169 Posts

This is the one I'm buying for her.

Very nice looking Superlow. I'm sure she'll be in Sporty heaven when she fires her up and take it for her first spin!

Originally Posted by boomerguy
Yes. I agree on everything! Beautiful bike, by the way
Thanks man. Big brother is the King and gets most of the ride, but she's still a fun ride when I take her out. My riding buddies also have Sporties and we rode from NC to FL a couple of years ago with our Sporties. Same config as the pic, but with a windshield and a solo rack with a duffle bag.

Ron PC (03-19-2021)

Quick Reply: 883 Low