Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake light staying on

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2021 | 11:27 AM
Big_D
|
6th Gear
Default Brake light staying on

I am after some help with the brakes on my '89 Sportster.

First some background - The front master cylinder, and front brake cylinder, were rebuilt about 18 months ago. At the same time, the front brake switch was replaced, and new brake and clutch lever fitted.

Now the problem, which started about 9 months ago - The front brake light stays on continually.

The first thing I checked was the brake switch itself. This is secure, and is working fine.

I then reassembled everything, and still had the same problem when the front brake was applied. The brake light stayed on.

On closer inspection it looked as though the pushrod in the master cylinder wasn't being pushed out far enough, by the main spring behind the piston, to activate the switch. To solve this, I added a small spring between the pushrod and the master cylinder housing. Now I had a working brake light. Unfortunately this only helped for a couple of months, and I was back with a brake light that stayed on after the front brake lever was released.

I then found a Youtube video, showing a similar problem, and used Red Rubber Grease to lubricate the dust cap and pushrod. This made a difference, and the brake light switched off. This worked for a couple of weeks, and then the problem returned.

Yesterday, I stripped, cleaned, and rebuilt the entire Master cylinder with a rebuild kit. The brakes were bled, and out I went for a test ride. An hour later, when I got home, I still have the same problem, but with a small twist. Now, when I release the front brake lever, the brake light goes out after about a minute.

I just can't get the brake light to go off when the front brake lever is released.

Short of buying a new master cylinder, how can I fix this and get the brake light to work the way it should?

Old 02-28-2021 | 11:46 AM
Seasoned HDF Member

I had a similar situation. It turn out the front brake leveler was not returning fully due to the way I had it position on the bars. I rotate the the master cylinder assembly and no more problems.

Old 02-28-2021 | 12:16 PM
Big_D
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 470004
I had a similar situation. It turn out the front brake leveler was not returning fully due to the way I had it position on the bars. I rotate the the master cylinder assembly and no more problems.
I'm not sure I understand.

The master cylinder fits into the switch housing. This is correctly fitted, and tight. I know this can have an effect on the brake light if not fitted properly.

I have posted pics to show how the setup is mounted. My bikes live on motorcycle dollyies and stand straight up, rather than at an angle on their jiffy stands.

What I don't understand is that this worked for ages before suddenly not working.

Old 08-17-2021 | 01:26 PM
Big_D
|
6th Gear

I finally got this sorted out. Brake light now works every time. It had nothing to do with the brake lever.

Old 08-19-2021 | 05:42 AM
John Ha
Tourer

Originally Posted by Big_D
I finally got this sorted out. Brake light now works every time. It had nothing to do with the brake lever.
So, why not share what you found so that others can have the benefit of your experience?

The following 2 users liked this post by John Ha:
GrampT (08-20-2021), SteveThePirate (08-21-2021)